Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Remington 870 Issue with Snap Caps

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • -G-
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Nov 2012
    • 76

    Remington 870 Issue with Snap Caps

    Being a first-time shotgun owner, I wanted to practice loading, and chambering rounds with my new Remington 870.

    Tonight I ran into an issue where a few times I tried to chamber one of my Snap Caps, the dummy round would get stuck and could not be chambered. I'd have to reach in, pull out the Snap Cap and try to chamber the second one.

    Is this an issue with the Snap Caps being too heavy/not suited for practicing chambering rounds, or is it an issue with the gun?

    I have not yet tried practicing with live rounds.
  • #2
    osis32
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2009
    • 5912

    never had issues with my 870 and snap caps. not to worry but something sounds off.
    Just a libertarian guy in a Leftist Authoritarian state.

    Comment

    • #3
      shellslinger
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 930

      The snap caps may be the one causing the problem. You should try some live ammunition and from there you should find the answer to your problem. My snap caps work fine in my shotgun though but who knows
      Bounce a ball in Football that's a fumble. Baseball, no bouncing at all. Bounce a ball in Hockey, well that's a mandatory drug test right there...

      Comment

      • #4
        lolkopter
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 687

        Same here they work. Try dry firing practice at home with live ammunition and see if it jams then

        Comment

        • #5
          -G-
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Nov 2012
          • 76

          Originally posted by lolkopter
          Try dry firing practice at home with live ammunition and see if it jams then
          Just used 2 rounds of 00 buckshot in my living room. No FTF this time.

          Thank you for the suggestion!

          Any recommendations for a good window repairman, though?

          Comment

          • #6
            shellslinger
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 930

            Originally posted by -G-
            Just used 2 rounds of 00 buckshot in my living room. No FTF this time.

            Thank you for the suggestion!

            Any recommendations for a good window repairman, though?
            Give me a PM I got ya covered. Also I am the King of Nigeria, I will need you to send me a $5000 check so I can send you a $10 million dollar check as an inheritance.
            Bounce a ball in Football that's a fumble. Baseball, no bouncing at all. Bounce a ball in Hockey, well that's a mandatory drug test right there...

            Comment

            • #7
              Zarovich
              Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 103

              I bought some snapcaps that are short (not like the amazon pic.) Thus they are too short for the elevator of my shotgun to bring up consistently.
              If I hold the barrel higher than the receiver it works alright.

              Comment

              • #8
                -G-
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Nov 2012
                • 76

                Update:

                I used some of my ammo this morning instead of the Snap Caps. Big difference. I had 1 FTF, but I think that was a result of short-shucking.

                <sigh> I guess I'm going to have to go to the range to shoot this a bunch of times to make sure it's OK with live ammo.

                Thank you for all your input!

                Comment

                • #9
                  monk
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 4454

                  Where was it getting jammed?


                  NRA Member
                  SAF Member


                  A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    wweigle
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 803

                    Most snap caps I have seen are either to light, not correct length, have sharp corner/edges or all of the above, and do not work well as dummy rounds for loading practice. I made my own using fired cases, primers removed, new wads, filed with the correct amount of shot, then topped off with hot glued. They work great, feel and load like live rounds, but they are not "snap caps".
                    Attached Files

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      diverwcw
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 2693

                      I have some snap caps that, on occasion, double feed in my 870. With live ammo, there is never an issue. My thought is to trash the snap caps and go with some home made dummy rounds. I'm not set up for shotshell reloading, but I plan to in the future.
                      sigpic

                      Former Front Sight Commander Member
                      NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
                      CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
                      NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        NapalmCheese
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 5958

                        I have the red A-zoom snap caps and some other 'clear plastic with a spring attached to the primer' snap caps. The former work fine in everything I own, the latter won't even chamber in my Nova for some reason.

                        Chalk it up to the snap caps and your 870 needing to 'wear in' a bit.
                        Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          m16
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 2527

                          You may have a chamber that needs polishing.

                          Take it to the range with some cheap bulk ammo and see if you have any extraction failures.

                          If you do, hit that chamber with some steel wool.
                          Marine Raider Foundation

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            axhoaxho
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 10085

                            Ditto. For years, I have been using these on all my 870's, no problems and they still last.

                            Originally posted by jessegpresley
                            Use these instead. Cheaper, are weighted to feel like real shells and they extract fine.



                            With regards to sticking chambers, buy one of these. It's cheaper on eBay than Brownells, but the honing oil with shipping is cheaper on Brownell's than eBay.
                            Last edited by axhoaxho; 05-09-2013, 9:27 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              loophole
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 2782

                              You mean 870s screw up with snap caps too? So much for the theory about the crappy ammo bases expanding.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1