Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recommend a So Cal Basic Shotgun Training Courses

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    JDPhx501
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 816

    Originally posted by Ricky-Ray
    Take a look at Civilian Arms Training, www.civilianarmstraining.com.

    A direct link to their defensive shotgun class. http://civilianarmstraining.com/inde...101&Itemid=178

    I've taken their shotgun course twice and loved it. Your Benelli M4 will be fine for the class, although you will see quite a few Remington 870's and Mossberg 500/590's as what most students bring.
    This looks good, too, thanks! Where are they located/hold training? Having trouble finding on their site

    Comment

    • #17
      HKJay
      Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 109

      Covered6 has a shotgun class next week. Details here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_11/23...ngeles_CA.html

      Boyan the instructor is a great teacher and has a lot of familiarity with the Benelli M4. In fact, last shotgun class they did which I took was specific to the M4. I think they're broadened the class to appeal to more people this time around.

      Comment

      • #18
        hermosabeach
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 19836

        ITTS is great but advanced training.

        You might take a look at http://www.shooters-edge.com/ for the classes they offer.

        If you like it, then you might take a look at Front Sight as you can find certificates for your first course with them for about $100 for the 4 day shotgun class.
        The cost is more as you get to drive to Pahrump (west of vegas by 1hour) and pay for a hotel room.

        I think they also have 2 day classes that do not include the shoot houses and the night shoot.
        Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

        Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

        Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

        Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
        (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

        Comment

        • #19
          besticm
          Junior Member
          • Apr 2013
          • 1

          I'll assume they want you to take Handgun I first because it covers a lot of range safety, the 4 safety rules, etc. From the equipment list it doesn't look like you'll be transitioning to handgun.


          Regards,
          ICMPacknMove,
          packers and movers in delhi

          Comment

          • #20
            JDPhx501
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 816

            Originally posted by HKJay
            Covered6 has a shotgun class next week. Details here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_11/23...ngeles_CA.html

            Boyan the instructor is a great teacher and has a lot of familiarity with the Benelli M4. In fact, last shotgun class they did which I took was specific to the M4. I think they're broadened the class to appeal to more people this time around.
            Thanks, that looks good too but unfortunately won't fit my schedule, but I will look them up again from time to time.

            Perhaps I can give it a go at ITTS once I've run a few other basic shotgun courses.

            Comment

            • #21
              Sheepdog1968
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 1903

              See if Loui Awerbuck is in the area and take his class. Loui runs a traveling firearms instruction business. Loui is also worth a drive to the Bay Area where he teaches quite a lot a Reeds Indoor range (like 15+ weekends a year). Also, he is 64 or 65. I don't know how many years he will continue to do this and it would be a shame to not take a class from him. Same general thoughts about Clint Smith who must be of a similar age.
              RIP Louis Awerbuck. I miss you and your training.

              Comment

              • #22
                JDPhx501
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 816

                Originally posted by Sheepdog1968
                See if Loui Awerbuck is in the area and take his class. Loui runs a traveling firearms instruction business. Loui is also worth a drive to the Bay Area where he teaches quite a lot a Reeds Indoor range (like 15+ weekends a year). Also, he is 64 or 65. I don't know how many years he will continue to do this and it would be a shame to not take a class from him. Same general thoughts about Clint Smith who must be of a similar age.
                Im actually planning a Bay Area roadtrip this summer. Ill look him up. Thanks!

                Comment

                • #23
                  JDPhx501
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 816

                  $500 well spent in tuition/good instruction is worth more than the same amount of money dumped into ammo for mindless plinking, thats for sure. Why do you presume to think I would not spend good money for good instruction? I paid 1.5K for the best shotgun, pay good money for private one-on-one horsemanship lessons, have paid good money for prior martial arts instruction. I know full well the value of instruction otherwise I would not be posting here.
                  Last edited by JDPhx501; 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    SoCalPI
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • 1994

                    JD, you cannot go wrong with the General Shotgun class offered by Firearms Training Associates. It is a one day class, very close to you, great facility, tons of great information and most of all, the instructors are top notch - no attitude, very friendly, SAFE and knowledgeable. Their next class is July 27.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      JDPhx501
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 816

                      Originally posted by SoCalPI
                      JD, you cannot go wrong with the General Shotgun class offered by Firearms Training Associates. It is a one day class, very close to you, great facility, tons of great information and most of all, the instructors are top notch - no attitude, very friendly, SAFE and knowledgeable. Their next class is July 27.
                      FTA is actually on top of my list right now. I like how it is close to me, syllabus looks good, hi round count, and 5 hrs instead of 8 hrs. Trying to convince a couple of other friends to come along as well, spend their ammo on training rather than more unguided plinking.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Ricky-Ray
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 3161

                        Originally posted by JDPhx501
                        This looks good, too, thanks! Where are they located/hold training? Having trouble finding on their site
                        Civilian Arms Training holds their classes at several ranges. Burro Canyon in Azusa, Angeles in Lake View Terrace, A Place to Shoot in Santa Clarita and North County Shootist in Pala.

                        Burro is their primary home as most of their classes are held there. If you click on the schedule you'll see a google calendar of when their classes and and if you click on it it will tell you the location of the class. Their next shotgun class will be at Burro on Sunday May 26.

                        If you buy their training voucher it will literally cut the cost of your class to almost half.
                        Ray

                        "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          JDPhx501
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 816

                          Looks like top class choice I have narrowed down at the moment are:

                          Academy of St. Crispian
                          Firearm training Associates
                          Civilian Arms Training
                          I may eventually try all 3.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ysr_racer
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 12014

                            Eventually ?

                            Hell, want me to pull the trigger for you too?

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ausala
                              Member
                              • Oct 2012
                              • 159

                              Originally posted by JDPhx501
                              Perhaps I can give it a go at ITTS once I've run a few other basic shotgun courses.
                              The ITTS Shotgun I course is an intro class that assumes students have no familiarity with the shotgun. If you take someone else's basic course, ITTS may or may not recognize it as equivalent to their own, which might mean that you'd start from the ground up in their system.

                              If you have trouble getting through to ITTS via email, give them a call. They are great about responding to phone calls but emails sometimes slip through the cracks.

                              They treat Handgun I as a prerequisite to their other courses because it has a heavy emphasis on safety and their methods of running a range. If you have prior formal training they might waive the prerequisite.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                DFence
                                • Feb 2012
                                • 1368

                                Originally posted by JDPhx501
                                Looks like top class choice I have narrowed down at the moment are:

                                Academy of St. Crispian
                                Firearm training Associates
                                Civilian Arms Training
                                I may eventually try all 3.
                                I highly recommend FTA.

                                Go for the General Shotgun on Saturday and then Advanced Shotgun on Sunday. You will get a ton of good training in one weekend.

                                Then save your shoulder for Shotgun Night Ops!
                                Its not paranoid.....its prepared.

                                NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1