Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anything wrong with 870 express?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    Ribkick
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 702

    Originally posted by bsg
    if you are not a purist, consider having your new 870 parkerized. the 870P is parkerized from the factory, which is partially why i purchased one.

    my old (1965) Wingmaster is the beauty queen.
    Actually, it's not parkerized from the factory. I can't remember what Remington calls it but it's not a park finish. It is crap, though.

    Send it off to Aippi and let JD refinish it. I did and it's the best parkerize job I've seen. Very deep and no problem with rust. A true working finish.
    sigpic

    NoSTAZ

    Comment

    • #47
      bsg
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2009
      • 25954

      Originally posted by Ribkick
      Actually, it's not parkerized from the factory. I can't remember what Remington calls it but it's not a park finish. It is crap, though.

      Send it off to Aippi and let JD refinish it. I did and it's the best parkerize job I've seen. Very deep and no problem with rust. A true working finish.

      regarding the "crap" finish, i believe you are referring to the 870 Express. Remington calls the 870P... "parkerized."

      i've read many great (they've all been great) reviews on JD's work, and seen many pictures of the results of his labor. i wouldn't hesitate to send an 870 to JD to have him do any of the work he performs. his willingness to freely give spot-on advise makes him stand tall in my book.

      Comment

      • #48
        Ribkick
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 702

        Originally posted by bsg
        regarding the "crap" finish, i believe you are referring to the 870 Express. Remington calls the 870P... "parkerized."

        i've read many great (they've all been great) reviews on JD's work, and seen many pictures of the results of his labor. i wouldn't hesitate to send an 870 to JD to have him do any of the work he performs. his willingness to freely give spot-on advise makes him stand tall in my book.
        Yes, you are correct. I was referring to the Express.
        sigpic

        NoSTAZ

        Comment

        • #49
          fighter4cage
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 877

          I lived in South Dakota before moving here. I killed more pheasants, Grouse and turkeys than I can count with that shotgun. After moving here to California, I changed the barrel to a rifled slug barrel and killed a 300 lbs wild Boar.
          I own several shotguns, but I always go back to my sturdy old 870 !

          As I always say, I can go out to the ranch, use my 870 to pound in fence posts, kill my limit of birds and be back before lunch!

          Comment

          • #50
            ddavis1946
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2012
            • 64

            I've seen a lot of used Wingasters at gun shops for about the price of a new Express. If you plan on using it for trap, skeet, clays, or field use, having removable choke tubes is nice, something to keep in mind. I'm not sure if the regular 870 with 28" barrels come with removable choke tubes. Switching barrels is a breeze though - I've got 28" RemChoke barrel for field use, and an 18" Modified for home defense.

            My only beef with the newer models, in standard 4 shot magazine format, is those dimples on the magazine tube. Makes adding an extension a pain in the rear.

            Comment

            • #51
              darksands
              Senior Member
              • May 2008
              • 710

              +1 on for me with the ejection issue. I did sand down the barrel and it hasn't failed in a while. It does need to be cleaned and lubed to prevent rust but that should be done with any gun. It was my first gun and it is a great gun.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell on a BBC broadcast, April 4, 1942

              "Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." ---Wyatt Earp

              Comment

              • #52
                Neptune
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 1165

                Originally posted by ddavis1946
                I've seen a lot of used Wingasters at gun shops for about the price of a new Express. If you plan on using it for trap, skeet, clays, or field use, having removable choke tubes is nice, something to keep in mind. I'm not sure if the regular 870 with 28" barrels come with removable choke tubes. Switching barrels is a breeze though - I've got 28" RemChoke barrel for field use, and an 18" Modified for home defense.

                My only beef with the newer models, in standard 4 shot magazine format, is those dimples on the magazine tube. Makes adding an extension a pain in the rear.
                Yeah, those dimples are a pain, but are easily fixed with a drill. Or so I hear...


                __
                sigpic
                I don't think it's nice,...you laughing.
                You see, my mule don't like people laughing.
                He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him.
                Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to,
                I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1