Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Your thoughts on chopping this down?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AJAX22
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2006
    • 14980

    Your thoughts on chopping this down?

    I found an inexpensive old marlin 12 gauge, and I fell in love with the look of the thing.

    It looks like a sewing machine had intercourse with a stampmill on top of a rockingchair and this was the militant offspring.

    To me it screams to be cut down to 26.25 inches overall length with a 18.25 inch barrel.

    It would make such a sexy whippet gun.

    But I don't want to get a bunch of flack for ruining something 'unique', 'antique', or 'collectable'

    so I figured I'd see how the rest of you felt about it.

    My reasoning is:

    1. The stock can be cut to a realy nice pistol grip shape (it does not have a modern bolt, but rather a tang style mount)

    2. It has some light pitting and is not traditionally 'beautifull'

    3. These sell in great shape for not a whole lot of money.

    4. If I saw it off (to a legal length) I might actually take it out and use it. (sawed off shotguns fit on motorcycles better)







    Last edited by AJAX22; 02-04-2008, 5:24 PM.
    Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

    Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
  • #2
    wilit
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2005
    • 5213

    I'd leave it. It's kinda cool just as it is.

    Also, "Shortened shotguns" fit better on a motorcycle, sawed-offs fit better in the headline on the front page of your newspaper
    "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
    "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
    "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      AJAX22
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2006
      • 14980

      Sheesh, ok 'shortened' shotguns that I cut down with a saw to minimum legal length.

      I did have a disclaimer in the preceding sentance

      I just dont know what I'd do with it if I left it as is. I have all the bird guns I really want right now.
      Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

      Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

      Comment

      • #4
        plinkmeister
        Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 214

        Dang, thats the ugliest thing that I`ve ever seen...

        Comment

        • #5
          AJAX22
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2006
          • 14980

          Originally posted by plinkmeister
          Dang, thats the ugliest thing that I`ve ever seen...
          Yep, They don't make em like that anymore.
          Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

          Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

          Comment

          • #6
            Sampachi
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2007
            • 812

            Originally posted by AJAX22
            Yep, They don't make em like that anymore.
            And that's why you want to cut it up, eh?

            Seriously, if I was going to chop it, I'd buy a spare barrel and stock from Numerich, aka egunparts.com.

            Comment

            • #7
              AJAX22
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2006
              • 14980

              Originally posted by Sampachi
              And that's why you want to cut it up, eh?
              Yep,

              Tell me that doesn't look better as a bob job?

              If I don't blow the extra $$ on the barrel and the stock, my total cost of the gun will be less than 200 including shipping etc.

              If i start buying parts for it, it gets expensive real quick.

              Last edited by AJAX22; 02-04-2008, 7:09 PM.
              Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

              Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

              Comment

              • #8
                Fjold
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Oct 2005
                • 23062

                What's the model number on it? Some of the old Marlin shotguns have a respectable collector's value. Model 19s can go for $700-$900 and the 1898's will go up to $3-4,000.

                Check this out:
                Last edited by Fjold; 02-04-2008, 6:43 PM.
                Frank

                One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                Comment

                • #9
                  SFFRONTMAN
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 1531

                  Ajax are you in norcal? at our store we have a rack full of beater/project guns that the boss wants to get rid of...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AJAX22
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2006
                    • 14980

                    Originally posted by Fjold
                    What's the model number on it? Some of the old Marlin shotguns have a respectable collector's value. Model 19s can go for $700-$900 and the 1898's will go up to $3-4,000.

                    Check this out:
                    http://www.gunsinternational.com/results.cfm?cid=174
                    According to the guy I bought it from its a model 49... but I think he might be mistaken.


                    And i'm in So-Cal (but I'm always looking for fun projects)
                    Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

                    Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JeffM
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 4359

                      Originally posted by AJAX22
                      (sawed off shotguns fit on motorcycles better)
                      That's sig line material right there. Have you been hanging out with Sloguy?

                      Your plan reminds me of this.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Sampachi
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 812

                        Originally posted by AJAX22
                        Yep,

                        Tell me that doesn't look better as a bob job?

                        If I don't blow the extra $$ on the barrel and the stock, my total cost of the gun will be less than 200 including shipping etc.

                        If i start buying parts for it, it gets expensive real quick.

                        I just hate seeing something in original condition getting cut up. Ah well, just don't Bubba it too badly. Take your time and cut the barrel correctly.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Fjold
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 23062

                          Originally posted by AJAX22
                          According to the guy I bought it from its a model 49... but I think he might be mistaken.


                          And i'm in So-Cal (but I'm always looking for fun projects)
                          The guy you bought it from is wrong both the stock and the pump forearm are not from a Model 49, they are significantly older.

                          Before you cut it up as a project make sure that you aren't throwing away something valuable.

                          Here's a picture of a model 49 http://www.auctionarms.com/search/pr...temNum=8105973
                          Last edited by Fjold; 02-04-2008, 8:00 PM.
                          Frank

                          One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                          Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            AJAX22
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2006
                            • 14980

                            So if its not a 49... what is it?

                            The plot thickens......



                            I usually am not into chopping up original guns, but every time I watch the firefly series on DVD I seem to wind up with another chopped toy. (all legal length of course)


                            This is what happened the last time I watched it.





                            Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

                            Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              wilit
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 5213

                              I think it's a Marlin model 1914. Not terribly valuable, but $500. It's about halfway down listed with 3 other pump actions.

                              "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
                              "You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
                              "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1