Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best first shotgun for "general use"?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • blockfort
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 1183

    Best first shotgun for "general use"?

    At present I have two semi auto pistols, but I may like to get a shotgun for "general use", which may include IDPA type shotgun stages, clay target shooting, desert recreation, and maybe bird or mammal hunting.

    I think I'd like it to be pump action.

    Should I get a 12GA?

    Is the 870 Express the go-to choice for me?
  • #2
    jameswest992000
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 22

    12GA for sure. First shotgun. Go to big 5 and one of them that comes with two barrels

    Comment

    • #3
      ICONIC
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 1223

      I say 12 ga. I got my benelli nova as my first shotgun. They are great guns and pretty cool looking too.
      sigpic I am only here for the milk and cookies

      Comment

      • #4
        X-NewYawker
        In Memoriam
        • May 2008
        • 5993

        12 gauge 870. get a short and a field barrel -- and some recoil mitigating device, like a mesa or a knoxx, so will shoot it enough to get good with it.

        Comment

        • #5
          crackerman
          Senior Member
          • May 2009
          • 2441

          My standard post

          Like all have said any shotgun with a 28" barrel will be great to start with. As an admitted mossberg fanboy, I would say stay with the mossberg line since you have the muscle memory of trigger, safety, etc.from your 590. You can get the 500 combo from big 5 with a 18"/28" for about $289 on sale, and $350 in camo. The camo has the advantage of the longer barrell having changeable chokes. Though the fixed modified barrel on the cheaper set is what I started with and it still kills plenty of ducks, bunnies etc but I did add a new barrel that can take chokes..
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            undercow16969
            Member
            CGN Contributor
            • Jul 2011
            • 236

            I have a mossberg pump 12 gauge. My personal opinion is that a 20 gauge is a pretty good all around for deer, birds and shooting in general and it wont kill you the next day after putting a few hundred rounds through it.

            http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products <<--my weapon
            Be patient with those that offer advice, but be careful whose advice you buy.

            If you do not know your rights, then you do not have any.

            Comment

            • #7
              j.primo
              Senior Member
              • May 2010
              • 1139

              Saiga 12. You won't regret it!
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                crackerman
                Senior Member
                • May 2009
                • 2441

                Originally posted by j.primo
                Saiga 12. You won't regret it!
                Did you even read the OP wants and needs?
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Jeffy
                  Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • 460

                  I'd suggest looking at a Remi 870 Wingmaster 26" or 28" for a general purpose shotgun. It would cover most of your requirements. The Express is a bit rougher then the Wingmaster or Police Magnum. Additional barrels are easy to come by so you can change it to fit different rolls.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    blockfort
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 1183

                    What's the real difference between the wingmaster and express?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      portegee
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 630

                      The wingmaster is the higher end version, blued instead of matt finish, wood instead of laminant stuff like that. Some say the finish tooling is better on the wingmaster as well.
                      Originally posted by ewarmour
                      You are a fool.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        hcbr
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • 4733

                        cant go wrong with a pump, 870 or Mossberg, if you want more choices, also consider benelli and Winchester super x pump /1300
                        Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi

                        "A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
                        ― Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          all torque
                          Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 407

                          ^ What he said. A pump is the best way to start IMHO.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CA PI
                            Junior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 44

                            I would get the Mossberg as a new shotgunner because of the location of the safety and slide action release button. The safety is more conducive and much easier to manipulate for left handed shooters or for right handed shooters when firing from the support hand side. As for the slide action release lever or button I believe it is safer to manipulate.

                            And, believe it or not, this is all coming from a guy whose goto weapon is a Remington 870... But for someone just starting out I would recommend as I have above.
                            "Hope is NOT a Strategy!"
                            www.tridentfirearmsacademy.com

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CA PI
                              Junior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 44

                              Oops, fort to add...

                              As for all of the "recoil reducing" stocks? Waste of money. If it mounted properly (i.e. toe in the hole) the standard stocks will work absolutely fine.

                              And yes, I would stick with the 12 gauge.
                              "Hope is NOT a Strategy!"
                              www.tridentfirearmsacademy.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1