Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

stevens savage 512 o/u reveiw

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JaMail
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1897

    stevens savage 512 o/u reveiw

    So I looked through the forums before I bought this and did not really see anything useful, I did find posts on the interwebs asking about this particular model, so I am going to both review it and post data as I add rounds fired.

    A buddy took me to shoot some sporting clays a few months ago and I was hooked, I had done a little (under 100 rounds) of desert shooting when I was a kid, but only a mag of saiga 12 in the last 15.

    I liked the sporting clays alot and wanted to try skeet so I started looking at O/U's and semi's.

    I finally found a low priced O/U model (Stevens 512) and started looking for one to buy.

    I purchased this used from a California friendly Gunbroker Vendor after reading a little about the guns on the interwebs and shouldering a couple of them at Turners one night.

    It was listed for 349 but I had gotten skunked on two other auctions, so I paid 40.00 extra and did a buy it now to get the special edition black receiver. It had a small chip/scratch on the pistol grip.

    379 for the shotgun,
    20 for the s&h (very well packed in newspaper in the original box with the oem chokes) shipped withing 24 hours of payment
    75 at riflegear for the transfer fee + DROS

    474 total.. for something that is almost 800 at Turners.

    Majority of the negative comments I read online was that fit and finish was lacking, and that the gold pheasant decal looked cheap.

    Fit & finish on mine is pretty damn good in my shotgun noobie opinion, I looked at some of the higher priced guns at turners and at triple b clays and fit and finish is good with one exception. The only thing I can think of is that the reviews of the finish I read were all 4 to 5 years old and the Q/A has improved since the stevens came out 5 years ago.

    I 100% AGREE that the gold pheasant decal is cheap looking. the engraving behind it was ugly and all around unpleasant to look at.

    When I looked on Gunbroker the vendor I found seems to have multiple models of the 512

    1) Gold decal version (looks cheap and ugly)



    2) Black plain receiver (looks plain and classy)



    3) Silver version 1 lightly engraved (the best looking version IMO)



    4) Silver special laser engraved version 2 special scene ( tied with the one above.)



    I didint really care about the looks, I just didint want something that was going to be obviously ugly.

    I tried shouldering a couple at triple b and at turners and the gold wing felt good to me.

    Only negative at this point is the small latch under the forearm has a tendency to slightly lift after a couple of shots, so if i place my hand wrong, it scrapes / pinches the skin, no pain involved, but the skin lifts.. Like a really shallow papercut. If I hold it and shoulder it correctly no problem, if I put my hand a little to far forward it peels the skin. I havent had a chance to take it apart and see if the spring or the wood is not set correctly.

    Round count when I bought it? no idea.

    First time I got to shoot it was at Don Zieglers skeet clinic (my first time shooting skeet) after the clinic was done we were able to do one quick round.. I think I hit somewhere around 15 out of 25 in that round which I dont consider bad since the last 5 shots I could barely see through my glasses due to the rain.

    Round count
    11/04/11 = 100 part of the day in the sun/rain/drizzle
    11/12/11 = 125 sprinkling/drizzle
    11/19/11 = 75 nice day




    I hope this is useful to someone on a budget considering buying one of these .
    3
    Gold Pheasant Decal
    0%
    0
    Black lightly engraved receiver
    0%
    2
    Silver lightly engraved receiver
    0%
    1
    Silver Special edition laser engraved with two birds
    0%
    0
    You would never buy a gun made in Turkey
    0%
    0
    Jason M- My 5 year old is a NRA life member, are you?

    WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)
  • #2
    JaMail
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1897

    let me know if you want more pics.
    Jason M- My 5 year old is a NRA life member, are you?

    WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

    Comment

    Working...
    UA-8071174-1