Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Have some questions about doubles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mana4real
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 435

    Have some questions about doubles

    So I've been doing pretty good at shooting Trap Singles for a while. I haven't shot much in the last ten years, but I went a couple times recently and still did pretty good. I'm using my fathers old hunting shotgun which is a Winchester over/under Model 101 12 gauge full choke on both barrels. Now on to my questions since I never actually watched doubles before.

    So when you pull on doubles, do they shoot them out at the same time?

    Which bird do you go for first?

    Should I use different ammo? Like 8 shot on the first bird and 7.5 on the second? Or just use the same on both? Will it actually make a difference using one or the other?

    Any tips or tricks you guys can give me would be great!! I'm never shot a 25/25, but I've been really close a number of times. I usually get 21-24. One time I missed the first and then got all the rest, ya that was a really irritating round LOL. Sometimes on my last shoot, I'll do bad, I think it's from being tired and my shoulder getting worn out. No matter how I hold my gun, I usually get a pretty good bruise from shooting. I usually go for 3 rounds. Maybe it's worse recently because when I go, the teams aren't full and we're shooting a lot faster then we normally would on a five man team.
  • #2
    bjl333
    C3 Contributor
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2009
    • 7010

    In trap doubles the 2 birds come out at the same time at a V. Usually you shoot the one nearest to you first and shoot the outgoing second.

    I am a skeet guy and that is all I can tell you!
    Wanna learn to shoot SKEET? I am here to introduce all shooters to the sport of SKEET Shooting ....
    CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT >>> SoCal Skeet Clinic
    SKEET SHOOTING CLINIC
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Mana4real
      Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 435

      So doubles will ALWAYS go out in a V? Never change direction? That's almost no challenge then

      Comment

      • #4
        Thefeeder
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2007
        • 5007

        They fly in a V but not the same angle




        Take a lookie

        Comment

        • #5
          Mana4real
          Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 435

          Thank you. I meant that they always go the same direction. I'm used to it throwing them in random directions. But that does clear it up a little bit. From what I'm seeing, it looks like a lot of them go for the far bird first, then the one that's closer. I dunno, just trying to get it all figured out.

          Comment

          • #6
            TRAP55
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 5536

            If you're a right handed shooter, set up to shoot to the right, and shoot that one first. It's easier to swing on the one coming out left.
            If you're a lefty, do the opposite.
            Bottom barrel shoots first, less recoil so it's easier to get on the second clay.
            If you really want to test your skills, try wobbles, or shooting on a windy day!

            Comment

            • #7
              Mana4real
              Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 435

              Originally posted by TRAP55
              If you're a right handed shooter, set up to shoot to the right, and shoot that one first. It's easier to swing on the one coming out left.
              If you're a lefty, do the opposite.
              Bottom barrel shoots first, less recoil so it's easier to get on the second clay.
              If you really want to test your skills, try wobbles, or shooting on a windy day!
              Thank you. I was thinking about it. I am a righty. Now if I'm at station 1, 2, or 3 (on 3 I'd swing right and go left?) wouldn't I want to shoot the bird straight out, then swing left? Then on 4 and 5 shoot the bird straight out and then swing right? I think this is what my dad told me many years ago. He used to be on the air force skeet shooting team. I'd talk to him, but he's been gone for 8 years. It's been to many years to remember and I've never shot doubles before.

              Comment

              • #8
                BigDogatPlay
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2007
                • 7362

                I've seen many a very good singles shooter go to pieces on doubles. Though the birds are flying on predictable paths you still have to catch up to the second one.

                I see a lot of shooters start on their strong side and then go after the weak side bird exclusively, in part because the recoil of the gun takes them in that direction snd in part to maintain a consistent, repeatable mechanical approach. When I shoot doubles I shoot the right hand bird and then the left, with a modified choke on the bottom barrel and full on the top so that I am doing, essentially, the exact same thing every time.
                -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

                Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

                Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mana4real
                  Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 435

                  I might try that. I shot a round of doubles and did pretty bad. I got 32 out of 50. I hit 22 on the first shot and 10 on the second. This was my first time doing doubles and I was really trying to get a feel for it. I found that if I shoot right and turn left, I seem to hit the target more often. I only did the one round of doubles because I wanted to more enjoy what I came there for rather then leave with my tail between my legs. So I followed up with two rounds of singles. My first single round I hit 21 and my second I got 23. I was happy with that. But I did notice that if the bird goes way left, I have an easier time hitting it then if it goes right. So I think next time I shoot doubles I'm going to always shoot right and follow left. I shoot with a full choke on both barrels though. I think that anything else is just cheating ;-)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mana4real
                    Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 435

                    Originally posted by TRAP55
                    If you're a right handed shooter, set up to shoot to the right, and shoot that one first. It's easier to swing on the one coming out left.
                    If you're a lefty, do the opposite.
                    Bottom barrel shoots first, less recoil so it's easier to get on the second clay.
                    If you really want to test your skills, try wobbles, or shooting on a windy day!
                    You're 100% right!! I had a really hard time hitting anything when I was at station 4 and 5. I think I just have a hard time hitting anything going right. I much perfer going left.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TRAP55
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 5536

                      Originally posted by Mana4real
                      Thank you. I was thinking about it. I am a righty. Now if I'm at station 1, 2, or 3 (on 3 I'd swing right and go left?) wouldn't I want to shoot the bird straight out, then swing left? Then on 4 and 5 shoot the bird straight out and then swing right? I think this is what my dad told me many years ago. He used to be on the air force skeet shooting team. I'd talk to him, but he's been gone for 8 years. It's been to many years to remember and I've never shot doubles before.
                      Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like you have it figured out. You know now the right flyers are harder to hit, so set up like every one of them is coming out to the right, at all 5 stations. Station 4 for some reason always seems to skunk me at least once.
                      Having an experienced shooter standing behind you really helps. He can see all the little things you're doing wrong, that work against you. I had the good fortune to have two world champs do that for me. Something as simple as keeping my right elbow pointing straight out left and level. That's all it took for me to start dusting those right side flyers.
                      On a side note, quality ammo makes a big difference. For you to be consistent, the ammo has to be too! That cheap WalMart bulk pack stuff just won't cut it, too many variables.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mana4real
                        Member
                        • Sep 2011
                        • 435

                        Originally posted by TRAP55
                        Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like you have it figured out. You know now the right flyers are harder to hit, so set up like every one of them is coming out to the right, at all 5 stations. Station 4 for some reason always seems to skunk me at least once.
                        Having an experienced shooter standing behind you really helps. He can see all the little things you're doing wrong, that work against you. I had the good fortune to have two world champs do that for me. Something as simple as keeping my right elbow pointing straight out left and level. That's all it took for me to start dusting those right side flyers.
                        On a side note, quality ammo makes a big difference. For you to be consistent, the ammo has to be too! That cheap WalMart bulk pack stuff just won't cut it, too many variables.
                        Thank you for the reply. I really liked the way the walmart box of Winchester felt. I just need to decide if I want to switch to 7 1/2 or stay at 8 shot. Or is there really much of a difference?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TRAP55
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 5536

                          Load for load, the 8 shot will have a few more more pellets.
                          The 7.5's are heavier, and carry the energy a little farther out.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mana4real
                            Member
                            • Sep 2011
                            • 435

                            Originally posted by TRAP55
                            Load for load, the 8 shot will have a few more more pellets.
                            The 7.5's are heavier, and carry the energy a little farther out.
                            That's what I figured. I think I'm gonna switch to 7.5's. I notice that anything much further then the clay starting to fall, is out of range, or I just don't lead it enough. I'm gonna go with I'm not leading it enough. I appreciate your help.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kmca
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 2371

                              Your shotgun will pattern better with one or the other. You'll have to pattern it to be sure. The biggest mistake I see made in shooting doubles, is looking at the first target too long, then having to shoot the second as it is dropping.

                              BTW, if you're getting bruised after only 3 rounds, your gun doesn't fit. I've shot 40 rounds in a day, occasionally and other than being tired, no bruises or sore shoulder.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1