Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

UPDATE* Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo Thread - 1st Impressions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Capt Jack
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 1046

    UPDATE* Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo Thread - 1st Impressions

    Hey Calgunners,

    I finally got my shotgun out of jail yesterday so I wanted to put a thread together with my first impressions of this gun in case anyone else is considering one. I will update this with a range report as soon as I can get to it. (helping the in-laws move this weekend and it looks like its gonna rain anyway.)

    This is my first shotgun and as such I wanted a gun that would fit multiple roles, i.e. home defense and skeet/clays. I do not hunt, but its nice to know that I can if need be. So after reading endless Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500 threads and basically understanding that semi-autos are perceived to be slightly less reliable than pumps, I settled on the Mossberg 930 Field Security Combo. I did like the SPX model, but in the end I decided that it would probably just sit in the safe waiting for the zombies to show up so the combo was the better choice as I have really wanted to get into clays and this would allow me to do that.

    This is Mossberg item #85325 and comes with both a 28" ventilated rib barrel with a fiber optic sight and an 18.5" barrel with a plain brass bead.



    Some specs from the Mossberg website (which could really use an update as it has some incomplete info): http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products


    GAUGE
    12
    CHAMBER
    3
    CAP.
    5 (4+1)
    BBL LENGTH
    28"VENT RIB
    18.5" BEAD
    SIGHTS
    FIBER OPTIC
    BEAD
    CHOKES
    FULL
    IMPROVED
    MODIFIED
    CYLINDER BORE
    LENGTH (in.)
    48 1/2"
    39"
    LOP (in.)
    14"
    DROP AT COMB (in.)
    1 1/4"
    DROP AT HEEL (in.)
    2"
    FINISH
    Blue
    Blue
    STOCK
    Synthetic (black)
    WT. (lbs.)
    7 3/4 LBS
    7 1/2 LBS
    MSRP.
    $634.00

    I was fortunate enough to find this at Buds which is a great place to buy online. The transaction is very smooth if you have an account already set up with them. Shipped price from Buds was $515. I paid $65 for the transfer at my dealer for a total of $580 out the door which I think is a pretty good deal. I could have saved $20 paying cash but I didn't want to risk it selling out again like it did before as I had been waiting since Christmas for this thing! I'm typically a patient man but strangely not when it comes to guns...I'm sure some of you can relate.

    On to the gun:
    It comes with several goodies which I think make this a darn good value. It includes a set of Full, Improved, and Modified Accu-chokes, as well as stock spacers that allow you to adjust the vertical position of the stock from 1/4" drop to 3/8" rise to better fit the shooter.
    The Package: Gun, extra barrel, spacers, chokes, chamber flag and manuals.



    Whenever I get a new firearm, the first thing I do is field strip it, inspect, clean and lube it to get a good feel for it. Then I do it again. I was quite happy with the fairly simple, tool free process to break this gun down. It appears to be well constructed with no play in the parts, but only a true 1000 shell torture test can reveal that to us!




    I was also pleasantly surprised by the Fiber Optic sight on the long barrel as it looked like it was a plain bead on the Mossberg website. The only problem with it is that it is slightly turned as if it was a bit over tight, but I think I can adjust that. The 930 is a popular model so I suspect Mossberg is doing all it can to get as many of these out the door. There have been sight issues with the SPX variant as well so I guess Mossberg's QC is not up to the task.



    The only other issue I have with this gun is the fact that both barrels have some blueing that has rubbed off. It could just be where they were rubbing in the boxes or the fact that the chokes and spacers where just floating loose in the box. Its not a huge deal, but a new gun should not have this issue as it either left the factory this way or they are not doing a good job of packing these things for shipping. I will contact them to see what they say. Its not worth it to me to ship anything back and will probably just cold blue these spots:







    Planned upgrades for it include a 2 round extension from Nordic, neoprene shell carrier for the butt stock, a light and possibly a new front sight for the Security Barrel such as an XS Big Dot. After I shoot a few hundred shells I will do an update on the shooting side of things. As I have read, these are solid, reliable guns that may not be as pretty as the more expensive Big "B" guns but get the job done at a good price.

    If you want more info, I would recommend you check out the Mossberg Owners Forum at http://www.mossbergowners.com/index.php which has a subsection devoted to this gun. I would also suggest M24shooter's SPX review at Weapon Evolution for great upgrade suggestions: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...930-SPX-Review

    Let me know what you guys think. As I mentioned, I will follow up with a range report ASAP!
    Last edited by Capt Jack; 04-03-2011, 1:28 PM. Reason: typso <--oops..
  • #2
    resident-shooter
    Banned
    • Sep 2009
    • 2777

    Thanks for the review! I want one!

    Comment

    • #3
      BANG BANG
      • Jul 2010
      • 2972

      Nice write up! I am looking to buy a 2nd shotgun too and was considering this exact model !!
      sigpic

      Need Auto Collision repair / Bay Area ? See my thread !!

      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=476124

      Comment

      • #4
        Capt Jack
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 1046

        Thanks for the replies, I am hoping to get to the range this weekend to see how she shoots, I'll let you all know!

        Comment

        • #5
          G-Solutions
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 672

          Nice writeup - I prefer semi-autos over a pump since it makes ambidextrous operation and the transfer from one shoulder to the other much easier (it's a royal pain in the patella with a pump). Plus during the half-transfer the pumps can develop jams... never had this problem with my semi-auto.

          Please let us know how this new addition to the arsenal behaves on the range.
          Upcoming Classes:
          Martial Blade Concepts Seminar with Michael Janich
          March 16-17, 2024 - Anaheim, CA
          www.gebhardsolutions.com

          Comment

          • #6
            BigDogatPlay
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2007
            • 7362

            Nice pick up and nice write up from the OP. I've been considering this particular package for a while to get deeper into a semi-auto with a slightly less hefty price tag.

            Originally posted by G-Solutions
            Nice writeup - I prefer semi-autos over a pump since it makes ambidextrous operation and the transfer from one shoulder to the other much easier (it's a royal pain in the patella with a pump). Plus during the half-transfer the pumps can develop jams... never had this problem with my semi-auto.
            Interesting.... this observation might make a nice topic for another thread. I've not had much issue changing shoulders with a pump, but I would admit that I don't practice it nearly enough.
            -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

            Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

            Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

            Comment

            • #7
              21SF
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 3491

              We need more pics, im curious how it looks with the vent rib. Is that thing ported too?

              I want the spx version and im wondering if you can also inter-change barrels on that one.
              SA TRP Half rail, Glock 21SF, Spikes St-15, Ruger Alaskan .44, Saiga 7.62, GSSF Member
              Diablo Rod & Gun Club
              Originally posted by keenkeen
              "What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

              Comment

              • #8
                beaster
                Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 284

                I was drooling over a Mossy 590A yesterday at a local store w/ a light attached to the pump. Had a single extension on the tube for 7+1. It was a bit steep at $1050. I like the look of yours, the price, and it being semi-auto w/ extras. I thought that place's prices were high.
                NRA and CRPA Member
                "Absolute liberty is absence of restraint; responsibility is restraint; therefore, the ideally free individual is responsible to himself." -Henry B Adams

                Comment

                • #9
                  hcbr
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 4733

                  mmmm nice, congrats!
                  Be the change that you wish to see in the world.Mahatma Gandhi

                  "A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
                  ― Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Capt Jack
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 1046

                    Thanks guys! I'm dying to get it to the range but I'm in the middle of moving so I don't have any time. As soon as I'm done with that I'm putting up a range report.

                    Originally posted by 21SF
                    We need more pics, im curious how it looks with the vent rib. Is that thing ported too?

                    I want the spx version and im wondering if you can also inter-change barrels on that one.
                    I do believe the SPX can swap barrels out. I had that same thought until I found out that the extra 930 barrel would cost nearly $200. That made the decision for me since I am a cheap *** and like to get "value" out of my new gun purchases

                    Sorry for the pics, I'm in the process of moving to a new place and don't have my camera (obligatory toe shot )



                    Beaster, that 590 for $1k had better be gold plated for that price! I would keep looking. Again, this setup cost me $580 out the door. Another $150ish for an extension and a light and its pretty much set up for both HD and Clay Sports/Hunting.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bombadillo
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 14810

                      Some "Wonder Blue" would do a nice job on redoing that bluing job if Mossberg won't take care of the problem. That stuff does a great job for a home bluing kit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Capt Jack
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 1046

                        Update:

                        Took her to the range with a friend on Friday and she shot great! We took turns and shot all the ammo that I brought which was 100 rounds of Fed 7.5 bird shot and 10 Fiocci 00 Buck. I'm happy to say that she did not have a single problem and fired all the shells perfectly.

                        I was shooting with the short barrel at the steel plate about 15 feet away and all of my hits were on center unless I really went Rambo with it then I was kinda all over the place. I was able to unload all 5 rounds into the plate (more or less) in about 3-4 seconds according to my buddy's watch.

                        We then switched to the 28" barrel and tried the clay thrower. We both managed to hit a few and miss many more, but it was a ton of fun. I now know that I really want to take a lesson and properly learn to shoot clays.

                        On Saturday, I went out with a friend to some Public Land and found a beautiful spot off the path by a small creek and set up pigeons as targets in some bushes, on a tree stump and up the hill a ways. We were safely pointed away from a sparsely traveled road and had the hill as our backstop. Also the pigeons are biodegradable and we cleaned up our mess and only left a few .22 shell casings that I couldn't find, but otherwise left it as we found it.


                        Our Arsenal: The 930, Marlin 795 and a Ruger Black hawk .357 which is awesome.



                        Here is my buddy getting the 795 ready. That little .22 is pretty darn good even with crappy ammo. I swear those Thunderbolts don't have any powder in them!



                        After shooting at the bushes for a while, we took turns throwing the pigeons with the wally world thrower which does get them going pretty far and well worth the $5 purchase price. I shot another 75 rounds of bird shot without a hitch. The 930 has performed flawlessly although its only been a few hundred rounds. So far I am very happy with the purchase and I think I found a really cool spot to shoot at in the process!

                        I still want to pattern it so hopefully that will be the next update. Until next time guys!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SparrowHanger
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 347

                          How do those stock spacer's work?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Capt Jack
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 1046

                            Originally posted by SparrowHanger
                            How do those stock spacer's work?
                            I think you just put them in between the stock and the receiver before you put the bolt in. Truth is I haven't actually tried them yet, but I may just start messing around with them since its coming apart for cleaning.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              resident-shooter
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 2777

                              nyze

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1