Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Heat Shields

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rockinhydroshock
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 12

    Heat Shields

    ARe Heat SHields worth the money. Which company makes the best/most reliable.
  • #2
    Merc1138
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19742

    No, and I have no idea about manufacturers. The reason I say they aren't "worth the money" is because there isn't ever going to be a situation where I'm re-loading my shotgun so quickly that it gets too hot to handle.

    Comment

    • #3
      TNP'R
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2010
      • 7832

      Originally posted by Merc1138
      No, and I have no idea about manufacturers. The reason I say they aren't "worth the money" is because there isn't ever going to be a situation where I'm re-loading my shotgun so quickly that it gets too hot to handle.
      what about when its 100 degrees out? it does make the shotgun look a little meaner also.

      Comment

      • #4
        Merc1138
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 19742

        Originally posted by TNP'R
        what about when its 100 degrees out? it does make the shotgun look a little meaner also.
        Being 100 degrees out isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference. I've been at the range when it's 90 out, didn't burn myself on the barrel and 10 degrees isn't gonna make much of a difference. Again, the heatshield is pointless unless you're going to be putting a serious amount of lead through your shotgun in a very short span of time with absolutely no time for it to cool down.

        And if you're buying things for the look... I'm not even gonna get into that.

        Comment

        • #5
          FatalKitty
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 2942

          Heat shields are worth the money for looks, that's about it... simply don't touch the barrel and you're ok.
          Tacstar heatshield is like $39, not really a lot to make a cool firearm even 'cooler' (no pun)
          you don't rise to the occasion,
          you just fall back on your level of training.

          Comment

          • #6
            Black Majik
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 9695

            I've burnt myself from my barrel quite a few times, especially when shooting clays. But there is no way I'd be caught dead with a heatshield on my shotgun. I'd rather burn.

            Comment

            • #7
              Blackboomstick
              Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 128

              Mine came with one installed. I have no complaints about it. Doesn't add more than a minimal amount of weight and I have no need to take it off. It'll probably fill its role well when I get going full speed in defensive shotgun classes.

              Comment

              • #8
                River Jack
                Senior Member
                • May 2007
                • 1251

                If there was a high quality and rock solid one offered in blued finish, I'd put it on my Remington police 870. I like the way they look.
                URL="http://www.nra.org/"][/url]NRA Life Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 1454

                  just adds unnecessary weight and bulk.
                  ____________________________________

                  Deterrence, Not Disarmament, Ended the Cold War.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    aippi
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 2302

                    The reason that device was created was for Military shotguns that came with a bayonet. You have to grip the barrel to use the bayonet so that device was to protect the hand when you wrapped it around the barrel to use the bayonet in combat.

                    No bayonet, no heat shield needed. If you put one on a shotgun with no bayonet then it is just a tacti-fool accessory.
                    JD McGuire, Owner
                    AI&P Tactical
                    Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
                    Mossberg LE Armorer
                    www.aiptactical.com
                    www.tacticalgunslings.com
                    If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Blackboomstick
                      Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 128

                      Originally posted by River Jack
                      If there was a high quality and rock solid one offered in blued finish, I'd put it on my Remington police 870. I like the way they look.
                      The Mossberg one can be slightly modified to fit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        rockinhydroshock
                        Junior Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 12

                        The rem 870 express dose have a mussel break on the end thats pretty mean. if i us it like a bayonet the heat shield could be useful.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rockinhydroshock
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 12

                          ATI IS JUNK RIGHT?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TNP'R
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2010
                            • 7832

                            Originally posted by rockinhydroshock
                            ATI IS JUNK RIGHT?
                            yes i have one and i regret it. scratched my barrel to hell trying to get it on.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              emptybottle151
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 1503

                              no point...I got one for my Winchester 1300 when I was 18, your better off spending your money on a side saddle or bandoleer. But it does look mean.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1