Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

To tip or not to tip?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bucktooth7
    Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 311

    To tip or not to tip?

    I have a question that the fellows I shoot trap and skeet with often disagree about. Should you tip the pull person at the trap/skeet range? Others have argued that tipping is for personel services as such as a waiter. What are your thoughts on this?
    We will do as we will do because I am me and you are you.
  • #2
    randy
    In Memoriam
    • Nov 2006
    • 4642

    At the trap range local to me it's all electronic calls. When they have some kind of tournament then they have somebody pulling the trap. That's a service to me.
    I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

    When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

    Comment

    • #3
      The Original Godfather
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 1261

      Whenever the subject of tipping comes up, I immediately think of that scene from Reservoir Dogs...


      To tip or not to Tip?



      Last edited by The Original Godfather; 08-29-2010, 9:32 PM.
      Military Decals, Apparel, and More


      "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

      Comment

      • #4
        bucktooth7
        Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 311

        Ok Godfather, but where do you personally stand on this?
        We will do as we will do because I am me and you are you.

        Comment

        • #5
          Rob454
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Feb 2006
          • 11254

          Easy

          if I get good service I tip

          if I get crappy service I dont tip.

          And yes im a great tipper. Usually its me and my wife going to dinner and I tip about 20-25% if I thought i got great service. EWhat I cant stand is when the restaurant feels obligated to ADD the tip in to the bill.
          its a TIP / gratuity not part of the meal. And I love it then some idiot punches it in BEFORE they add in the tax so now I get taxed on your "entitlement"
          I went to this restaurant once with a bunch of friends and got crappy service. i refused to pay the add on gratuity. i did not make a scene I simply told the mamager to remove it off the bill. The reason i did not want to pay it was because we got bad service and crappy food.

          A tip is a way to show that I appreciate their work. It is NOT something that has to be given even if they do a good job. problem is people who have tip jobs feel they are entitled to the tip and customers feel obligated to leave a tip. I leave a tip according to the food and the way I was treated as a customer. Vote with your wallet. If I dont liek the service i dont go back to that restaurant.

          Comment

          • #6
            shellyzsweet
            In Memoriam
            • Mar 2008
            • 1221

            we have electronic ones here....so no tipping. At a competition I would imagine tipping is innapropriate as well.

            Umm....if I went to the range and someone was hand throwing...IDK I guess I'd follow the examples set forth by others....with emphasis that I would prolly tip....dunno why. Why does the caddy get a tip and the cocktail waitress in vegas but not these guys??
            Originally posted by Dirtbiker
            You're creepy old guy.

            You not getting it unless you're loaded like Bill Gates or have game like Neil McCauley.

            Originally posted by Master Blaster
            The wife told me tampons are on sale this week. She can pick you some up while she's out.
            Originally posted by edward
            What ever happened to "While I do not agree with what you have to say, sir, I'll defend to the death your right to say it."?

            Comment

            • #7
              kmca
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 2371

              Back in the old days of manual pullers, it was a tradition to tip the puller if you ran his/her field.

              Comment

              • #8
                slobson
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2010
                • 543

                Originally posted by Rob454
                Easy

                if I get good service I tip

                if I get crappy service I dont tip.
                Yes
                . . .
                Originally posted by Rob454
                I leave a tip according to the food
                No!!
                Unless your server/bartender is the one preparing your food, why would you base their gratuity on the quality of the meal? If a mistake is made and not fixed then that is one thing, but getting a bad cut of meat and blaming that on the server=bad form
                "The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
                -Patrick Henry

                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post11240879

                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=754181

                Comment

                • #9
                  bjl333
                  C3 Contributor
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 7010

                  When there is a REAL puller I will tip them.
                  Wanna learn to shoot SKEET? I am here to introduce all shooters to the sport of SKEET Shooting ....
                  CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT >>> SoCal Skeet Clinic
                  SKEET SHOOTING CLINIC
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    joedogboy
                    Banned
                    • May 2010
                    • 1444

                    I will frequently bring out a cold drink (water or soda) for the puller, if I am getting one for myself. That is comfortable, friendly, and they appreciate it.

                    If I bring a group of people, I try to casually hand the puller a cash tip at some point.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Cheep
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 1327

                      At the local range, they have a "tip jar" for the pullers-if you had a good time, use it...
                      Originally posted by NOMADCHRIS
                      your asking a question about asking a question ??? just ask the damn question!!!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        VictorFranko
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 13737

                        Originally posted by kmca
                        Back in the old days of manual pullers, it was a tradition to tip the puller if you ran his/her field.
                        Agreed. Our puller prefered a half-pint.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ysr_racer
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 12014

                          When I used to shoot at Prado, I'd give them a buck or two. If there was four or five of us shooting a round of skeet, the trapper would get $5-$10.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            The Original Godfather
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 1261

                            Originally posted by bucktooth7
                            Ok Godfather, but where do you personally stand on this?
                            If it was exceptional service, then yes I would tip the guy. If not, then no tip. I believe it was Andrew Carnegie in his essay The Gospel of Wealth that said that when it comes to giving, one of the worst things you can do is give someone monetary compensation who is undeserving of it; the receiving of money when it is not truly deserved has more negative impact than good.



                            I would more likely tip him differently than most would. Instead of just giving him a $10 or $20 bill, I would offer my time and resources. I would take him out shooting one day and pay for lunch and pay for range time and ammo. I'd have time to make a friend than an expectant servant. That way, he'd value the relationship vs. the money. And friendships are much more valuable...


                            Of course, very rarely do I meet people who give exceptional service above and beyond what is required of them, so this doesn't happen EVERY time. For the ones who do go the extra mile, they reap the rewards.
                            Last edited by The Original Godfather; 08-30-2010, 8:39 AM.
                            Military Decals, Apparel, and More


                            "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              shrap
                              Junior Member
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 93

                              What exactly is exceptional service when pulling for skeet/trap?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1