Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Maiden's Revenge and Other Shotshell Ammo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ivangrozny2009
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 11

    Maiden's Revenge and Other Shotshell Ammo

    Fellow Calgunners, I know it might seem silly to even ask considering this is CA and almost everything is illegal or soon will be, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was legal to own Misc Shotshell ammo OTHER than the obvious no-no's (flachette, flame etc).

    I wanted to pick up some Maiden's Revenge from an online source, its designed to have almost no recoil and to not go through walls...perfect for the wife and our apartment. How could a less powerful round be illegal? What about beanbag or whistle rounds or basically anything along those lines?

    Thanks!
  • #2
    nrakid88
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 3285

    I doubt that anything that can't penetrate 1/4' of drywall will be lethal or even a good deterent for attackers.
    sigpic
    5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
    Originally posted by Cali-Shooter
    You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.

    Comment

    • #3
      jdewolf
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 1846

      Less than lethal rounds at close ranges can be lethal, however it's not guaranteed.

      So look at it this way. If you're in a HD [or apartment defense] in this case and someone breaks into your home. They're armed and your life, your wife, and your childs life is in danger. I.e. you have to put him down, PERMANENTLY. This isn't crowd or riot control... your one concern should be to ventilate the SOB and make sure he doesn't get back up. If you hit him with a less than lethal round [beanbag, whatever] there's 2 big problems.

      1.) It's not guaranteed that it'll put him down permanently. Also it can be argued that you didn't feel your life was in danger. I believe that the level of force used must be equal to the threat faced. If you're in a situation where the only choice is for you to shoot, you need to shoot to [stop the threat].

      2.) If the guy breaks in and your life isn't in danger and you shoot him with this less than lethal round... you risk the possibility that you accidently kill him. Criminal and civil charges would follow.
      Last edited by jdewolf; 05-07-2010, 5:41 PM. Reason: kill, threat.
      Need Pest Control? Message me!

      "Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Hemingway

      Comment

      • #4
        nrakid88
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2008
        • 3285

        Whoah, you never shoot it kill. You shoot to stop the threat.
        sigpic
        5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
        Originally posted by Cali-Shooter
        You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.

        Comment

        • #5
          jdewolf
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 1846

          Do you know, you're right. That was a bad choice of words on my part. If your life is in danger, you need to stop the threat. If while stopping the threat he happens to stop breathing... you'd be better off...
          Need Pest Control? Message me!

          "Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Hemingway

          Comment

          • #6
            resident-shooter
            Banned
            • Sep 2009
            • 2777

            Why not simply use #4 buckshot? I doubt it will penetrate the walls....

            Comment

            • #7
              DirtyDave
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 2298

              Originally posted by resident-shooter
              Why not simply use #4 buckshot? I doubt it will penetrate the walls....
              #4 buck will go right through a wall
              Hic Ego Statio

              If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson

              Comment

              • #8
                ivangrozny2009
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 11

                Good points all, but the question wasn't about LETHALITY it was about LEGALITY. Can I LEGALLY have such rounds in the apartment in CA?

                Comment

                • #9
                  jdewolf
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 1846

                  Taken from the "HD Scenario" Poll/Post.

                  244.5. (a) As used in this section, "stun gun" means any item,
                  except a less lethal weapon, as defined in Section 12601, used or
                  intended to be used as either an offensive or defensive weapon that
                  is capable of temporarily immobilizing a person by the infliction of
                  an electrical charge.
                  (b) Every person who commits an assault upon the person of another
                  with a stun gun or less lethal weapon, as defined in Section 12601,
                  shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for a term not
                  exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison for 16
                  months, two, or three years.
                  Need Pest Control? Message me!

                  "Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Hemingway

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TERRYGER
                    Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 357

                    12601 excepts shotguns with ammo using standard primers and powder. if the ammo you buy has standard primer and powder it is legal.

                    whether it is wise is a different situation.

                    many that advocate the use of 00 buck and the like do not look past the end of their barrel.

                    it may be a very good defensive ammo but you are responsible for not just the defense it offers but the offense it causes also.

                    kill a bad guy and a neighbor at the same time and you have your hands full.

                    but again, that's a different situation.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CmpsdNoMore
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 1699

                      Originally posted by TERRYGER
                      many that advocate the use of 00 buck and the like do not look past the end of their barrel.

                      it may be a very good defensive ammo but you are responsible for not just the defense it offers but the offense it causes also.

                      kill a bad guy and a neighbor at the same time and you have your hands full.

                      but again, that's a different situation.
                      What then do you suggest for shotgun shells used for home defense, birdshot?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Glackowitz
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 81

                        My shot gun is loaded with 1st round #4Magnum, 2nd & 3rd #2Magnum and 4th & 5th is #BBMagnum. Gun is a semi auto

                        and I have a handful of #2 and #4 Magnums on the shelf in the closet ready to go. I think I need to get a side saddle ordered to keep a few more on the gun.

                        I im in high hopes that I never have to aim it at another person in my life, but things in the world are changing every day and it seems that none of it is for the better.

                        Wife decided she wanted Chickens again, so we bought a 1/2 dozen friday, and the guys at the co op said this year they have already sold more than any other year and still have a couple weeks left.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Wherryj
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 11085

                          Originally posted by nrakid88
                          I doubt that anything that can't penetrate 1/4' of drywall will be lethal or even a good deterent for attackers.
                          Even Glaser slugs will penetrate sheetrock and these are often debated as to whether they are lethal.
                          "What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?"
                          -Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
                          "Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
                          I like my guns like the left likes their voters-"undocumented".

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            jeager
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2006
                            • 84

                            "I didn't think it would Kill him"
                            is a lamer excuse than
                            "I didn't think it was Loaded"

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              John Browning
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2006
                              • 8089

                              If it won't go through walls, it won't go through people and is worthless as a self-defense tool. Come up with a good plan, and have the right tool (i.e. lethal #4 buck) to make sure you're not dead if things go badly.
                              For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                              For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                              Originally posted by KWalkerM
                              eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1