Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Homemade Knoxx SpecOps Folder Shotgun Stock Side Saddle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frosty
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 574

    Homemade Knoxx SpecOps Folder Shotgun Stock Side Saddle

    Just thought I'd share this with the community. I've got a Blackhawk Industries Knoxx SpecOps Folder folding stock on my Mossberg 500 and one of the limitations of this setup is that you cannot have a side saddle to hold your extra rounds. I decided to go about making one, and here is the result.





    It's far from a final design, and I've already tested it and am planning on modifying it slightly. It works fairly well, but I want to find/design better clips to hold the shells, so if anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it. It does not get in the way of sighting down the barrel (this is obviously for a right handed shooter) and the shells just barely touch the hand while firing with the stock folded over (this will be eliminated in my design modifications). Anyways just thought I'd share my little creation with the community. I know I've heard several complaints about not having a compatible side saddle, so here's a little incentive that you might make one yourself. I will keep everyone updated on my further builds when I find the time; this is a very crude model with all cuts done by hand with a razor. Hopefully I will be able to have some more precise means as I move towards a final product.
  • #2
    aippi
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 2302

    If you perfect it, pass it on to Blawk Hawk.
    JD McGuire, Owner
    AI&P Tactical
    Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
    Mossberg LE Armorer
    www.aiptactical.com
    www.tacticalgunslings.com
    If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

    Comment

    • #3
      jumpthestack
      Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 360

      That's cool, and I wish I had the skills to make things like that.

      Is there some reason you don't just put a side saddle on the receiver? I like the Tacstar sidesaddle that goes on the left side of the receiver, so if I'm using my left hand to load, it's closer. Also since my stock is clear, I can transition to the left side if I wanted to.
      ---
      http://jumpthestack.blogspot.com/

      List of San Francisco Bay Area shooting classes

      Comment

      • #4
        johnthomas
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2009
        • 7001

        What happens when you close it up? I have one on my 870. How about a better butt pad for that. The one I bought doesnt have the molded one, just thicker rubber around the butt. Still is not enough pad.
        I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

        Comment

        • #5
          eccvets
          Banned
          • Jul 2008
          • 1243

          Originally posted by johnthomas
          What happens when you close it up? I have one on my 870. How about a better butt pad for that. The one I bought doesnt have the molded one, just thicker rubber around the butt. Still is not enough pad.
          just stick a limbsaver on your specops stock if you have the fixed stock and it makes it much more comfortable. I put a comb raiser on mines made out of neoprene as well with some foam and just use a shotgun shell belt to fix that problem so I can hold 25 shells instead of just a few more rounds and it doesnt add weight. I can also jam 2-3 shells in to the neoprene which holds tight and works well for me.

          Comment

          • #6
            esskay
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 2304

            Originally posted by jumpthestack
            That's cool, and I wish I had the skills to make things like that.

            Is there some reason you don't just put a side saddle on the receiver? I like the Tacstar sidesaddle that goes on the left side of the receiver, so if I'm using my left hand to load, it's closer. Also since my stock is clear, I can transition to the left side if I wanted to.
            He made that saddle because he's running the top folding version of the Knoxx which is not compatible with standard receiver mounted side saddles.
            WTS: Ewbank AKM & NDS-4 AK receivers, Custom Chief AJ Ruger Mini-14

            WTS: Oakley SI Shoes

            WTS KAC rail panels

            WTS: MGI Hydra Modular AR Lower

            Comment

            • #7
              Frosty
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 574

              Originally posted by jumpthestack
              That's cool, and I wish I had the skills to make things like that.

              Is there some reason you don't just put a side saddle on the receiver? I like the Tacstar sidesaddle that goes on the left side of the receiver, so if I'm using my left hand to load, it's closer. Also since my stock is clear, I can transition to the left side if I wanted to.
              Originally posted by esskay
              He made that saddle because he's running the top folding version of the Knoxx which is not compatible with standard receiver mounted side saddles.
              jumpthestack it really did not take much effort or skill, just a little time and some thought out measurements. And like esskay said, the side saddles are incompatible because the stock folds over the gun and sits alongside the receiver when folded. This was the whole reason I decided to design the stock mounted saddle. The reason I put them on the right side is because on the left they would get in the way of my head sighting down the barrel and resting my cheek (though I don't prefer to do that with this particular setup). However, the design could easily be modified to compliment the left instead of right side of the wire framed stock; perhaps with only 2 or 3 shells there would still be cheek room. It will be something to look into, especially for left handed shooters.

              Originally posted by johnthomas
              What happens when you close it up? I have one on my 870. How about a better butt pad for that. The one I bought doesnt have the molded one, just thicker rubber around the butt. Still is not enough pad.
              It works perfectly well when closed. I found that after about 50 rounds the shells began to slide in their clips in an odd parabola shape around the grip, likely due to the fact that the distributed shock and inherent muzzle flip are pivoted around the grip. Further modification will stiffen or entirely replace these clips with something a bit stronger to avoid this problem. As said above, the shells actually just barely touched my hand when folded over as well, so I will be mounting them a bit higher next time. Once I finalize a design I think I'm going to try to use a line bender to make a prototype out of ABS plastic that can be easily clipped on and off the stock without any modification or compromise in stability. And a better butt pad would be nice too. I have been toying with the idea of trying to design one, and I don't think it would be terribly hard, but I don't know that I would have access to the right materials to make a permanent and comfortable one that would help in reducing perceived impulse and the inherent shoulder bruising. Perhaps in time.
              Last edited by Frosty; 03-11-2010, 7:07 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                Frosty
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 574

                stock is in the mail for warranty repairs . work will continue when it returns.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Frosty
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 574

                  replacement stock has been shipped...on with the show

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bsg
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 25954

                    good luck completing the project. necessity is the mother of invention....

                    -Brady-

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      santamonica9
                      In Memoriam
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 1475

                      that is really cool but can we get a pic with it folded up in the action please (also unfolded) i'm dying to see that baby - great job on innovation

                      do you reccomend that folding stock still eve if you didn't have the extra ammo space?
                      I mainly shoot .22lr, 9mm,45 acp, 357 & 38, 12G, 7.62x39, .308, .223/556, 7.62x54r, 300 win mag, 8x57
                      God Bless USA

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Frosty
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 574

                        Originally posted by bsg
                        good luck completing the project. necessity is the mother of invention....

                        -Brady-
                        Thanks Brady. Not sure exactly how necessary it is, but then again, laziness plays a close second fiddle to necessity, and having a side saddle is pretty convenient.

                        Originally posted by santa9monica
                        that is really cool but can we get a pic with it folded up in the action please (also unfolded) i'm dying to see that baby - great job on innovation

                        do you reccomend that folding stock still eve if you didn't have the extra ammo space?
                        Unfortunately I already destroyed the original saddle for parts. Hopefully the next one will look and function even better; namely it should give the hand more clearance when folded. I still can't decide whether or not I want to stick with the plastic clips; loops of elastic fabric on a plastic plate might serve the purpose better. Finding materials is a bit of a challenge too, and I'd need to find some thicker plastic to make sturdier clips, but that might force me to lose one of the shells due to space issues. Maybe I'll just do both. Either way, I'll keep everyone updated!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Frosty
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 574

                          OK, just got my replacement stock. A+ for Blackhawks customer support I might add. Work will continue when i have some spare time.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bsg
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 25954

                            Frosty, sometimes if you "want" something, that makes it necessary! again, good luck with the project....

                            -Brady-

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Frosty
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 574

                              Built some stiffer clips to hold the shells today. These ones can have the shells pressed in as well as slid in. Unfortunately they're clear plastic, but I had to work with what I had. I've already got things set up to mount, just need to fab a few more pieces. Pics to come.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1