Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

MOSSBERG 590A1 HELP ............

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    zhyla
    Banned
    • Aug 2009
    • 2017

    Originally posted by APNF128
    There is no cheap way to mount a regular flashlight on your 590A1 except to buy a surefire for that model, even if you can find a cheapy light or mount , the light bulb will not withstand the heavy recoil of your shotgun. I have seen a lot of these in shotgun classes I do attend and they all go dead just a few round of firing.
    This is not quite true. There are a number of inexpensive clamps that solve the mounting issue just fine. Some locktite in the screws is a good idea.

    You can find LED flashlights a lot cheaper than a Surefire that will not have an issue. LED lights by and large are very robust.

    A cheap light that dies after the first shot is way better than not buying a light because you couldn't spend $200 on a Surefire forend.

    Comment

    • #17
      BigDogatPlay
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2007
      • 7362

      Originally posted by Boomer...
      I'm definitely not a tactical expert so my prior comments were intended to be thoughtful rather than contrary. Even so, your reply seems "on target" with that stock mounted TacStar shown in post #10 possibly a guiding beacon to the BG where to direct fire.
      The side saddle is actually receiver mounted, not stock mounted. I wasn't presenting it as a sole solution, only as an option for the OP to consider given the limited space he has on his gun and the budget he wants to stay within. And for whatever it's worth I refuse to use shell holders of any kind on the buttstock as it takes away my ability to comfortably fire from the off shoulder as need be.

      Regardless of where you mount a light, as soon as you turn it on you are giving yourself and your position away. The idea is that the light not only helps you correctly identify friend from foe, but it is also supposed to be bright enough to be painful for the bad guy to look at and keep him from getting a well disciplined shot off in your direction. This is why I have high output xenon bulbs in my Surefire 6P and in the fore end of my 870.

      Thnking that muzzle mounting the light will get you out of the way of return fire is somewhat fuzzy, IMO. You need to control your gun, best done keeping it close to you. Ideally you are not going to light up until you already have a good idea where the bad guy is. Then, potentially, you still have to fire your shotgun and that is best accomplished from either the shoulder or the hip, facing your opponent. Even around a barricade you are going to be most effective with at least some of your body directly behind the gun.

      Getting return fire on a reciprocal bearing is a risk in any and all gunfights. Yes, the light gives him a place to shoot toward. That is a risk you run, and it is why you try to field a light that is so harshly bright that he can't help but look away from it.
      -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

      Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

      Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

      Comment

      • #18
        rkt88edmo
        Reptile&Samurai Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2002
        • 10062

        You can slap a flashlight on a shotty with two hose clamps if need be.
        If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
        Use the goog to search calguns

        Comment

        • #19
          slick_711
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 4400

          Originally posted by rkt88edmo
          You can slap a flashlight on a shotty with two hose clamps if need be.
          I've seen this done on a buddy's HD handmedown Winchester Model 12. Perfectly acceptable.

          But the OP threw down the cash for a 590 and a Knoxx stock... there's not really any excuse to go cheap on the light. It doesn't have to be a surefire forend, but at least a Mesa Tac rail and decent LED mounted to that.

          Otherwise, I have a Norinco 97 I'll trade him and he can hose clamp a flashlight to it, and I'll buy the surefire forend for the 590...

          My HD shotgun doesn't have a light, and I don't feel a need to be tacticool about it or put a light on it... but then, I'm not here posting pictures of it am I? It could have been a tacticool shotgun with a light and all that, but I put the money into training and ammo.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1