Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

So I put the deposit for a 590

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    W.R.Buchanan
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 3401

    Originally posted by usr1987
    I do not plan on doing crazy mods, not into that. I may get a sling with shell holders. I do not plan on doing classes, I have shot few shotguns before and I am familiar with them and realized that heavier guns are easier for me to hold and handle than light ones, its weird.
    The whole reason why I suggested going to a class is because I thought I knew what I was doing also. I found that I was very weak in all departments.

    You are too, whether or not you choose to acknowledge it.

    The things that set the 500/590 guns apart from other brands is in the fine points of the design.

    First the Ejection Port is much larger than others. This facilitates single loading of the gun in an emergency, which happens immediately after you fire either 6 or 8 shots out of the gun (depending on barrel length). It is now empty, and you have a club. Learning how to load the thing in a pinch is a good thing but nobody really knows how to do this unless they've been taught

    A Velcro Side Saddle will set you back $15. The cool thing about them is you can have several strips with Shells already loaded and change them out quickly by simply ripping them off the gun and slapping a new one on.

    But knowing how to manipulate the rounds for loading is the most important point as you have to handle them in order to load them. Fumbling is the normal order of the day. But you can be taught ways to do it that are efficient and easy to master. Just learning how to index the shells in your hand is 90% of it. Not many people know how to do this and it ain't that hard.

    The whole reason why I am pushing this is because you are buying a Combat Shotgun. You should be willing to become competent with it, as there is little point in owning it, if you aren't. You could have bought a field gun and been happy.

    Shotguns are the most versatile firearms there is and the variety of ammunition you can shoot thru one is astounding (see Pic.)

    This is not aimed directly at you, but at everyone reading these threads. In case you haven't noticed the climate in this state is deteriorating quickly and sooner or later there will be trouble. Knowing how to shoot might be a good skill to have as you might have to defend your home against armed intruders or who knows what.

    Randy




    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-24-2019, 3:10 PM.
    Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
    Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
    Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
    Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

    It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

    Comment

    • #32
      axhoaxho
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2009
      • 10088

      OP, if this is your first pump action shotgun, shoulder the 590 and see if the stock length-of-pull (LOP) is not too long or short for you.

      If it is too short, you can get a different stock, or add a LimbSaver slip-on recoil pad, etc. If it is too long, you can get a Hogue 12" LOP stock, etc.

      Then get some low recoil shotshells (e.g. Remington Gun Club Target Loads) and go have fun.

      Once you are comfortable with the recoil, then try some 00 Buckshots.

      Enjoy.

      Comment

      • #33
        gforce357
        Member
        • Jan 2018
        • 223

        You made a great choice. I am extremely happy with my 590 (non A1). I put a Magpul stock on it which made maneuvering and holding the gun much easier.

        Comment

        • #34
          usr1987
          Member
          • Dec 2018
          • 421

          I did the dros today since I had to change my car reg. It was changed to my PO box by the dmv. I am sure it was done so they can collect 28 bucks, because I never requested it! It took out 45 min out of my life.

          I am happy to say Turners in Chino was great and they came thru on honoring their deal to get free muffs with the purchase. Also got 20 slugs, 50x 00 buck and a box of mini shells(bird/00/slug). Can't wait to brake it in.

          Comment

          • #35
            usr1987
            Member
            • Dec 2018
            • 421

            Originally posted by W.R.Buchanan
            The whole reason why I suggested going to a class is because I thought I knew what I was doing also. I found that I was very weak in all departments.

            You are too, whether or not you choose to acknowledge it.

            The things that set the 500/590 guns apart from other brands is in the fine points of the design.

            First the Ejection Port is much larger than others. This facilitates single loading of the gun in an emergency, which happens immediately after you fire either 6 or 8 shots out of the gun (depending on barrel length). It is now empty, and you have a club. Learning how to load the thing in a pinch is a good thing but nobody really knows how to do this unless they've been taught

            A Velcro Side Saddle will set you back $15. The cool thing about them is you can have several strips with Shells already loaded and change them out quickly by simply ripping them off the gun and slapping a new one on.

            But knowing how to manipulate the rounds for loading is the most important point as you have to handle them in order to load them. Fumbling is the normal order of the day. But you can be taught ways to do it that are efficient and easy to master. Just learning how to index the shells in your hand is 90% of it. Not many people know how to do this and it ain't that hard.

            The whole reason why I am pushing this is because you are buying a Combat Shotgun. You should be willing to become competent with it, as there is little point in owning it, if you aren't. You could have bought a field gun and been happy.

            Shotguns are the most versatile firearms there is and the variety of ammunition you can shoot thru one is astounding (see Pic.)

            This is not aimed directly at you, but at everyone reading these threads. In case you haven't noticed the climate in this state is deteriorating quickly and sooner or later there will be trouble. Knowing how to shoot might be a good skill to have as you might have to defend your home against armed intruders or who knows what.

            Randy





            Can you post a link to one of those classes to check it out. I am not trying to dismiss you but most organized things to learn elude me. I am more of hands on guy that is a typical in learning.

            Comment

            • #36
              W.R.Buchanan
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 3401

              Go Look at www.frontsight.com

              They can tech anyone to shoot anything. I have seen women and men who literally didn't know which end the bullets came out, turned into formidable shooters in a few days. Many times!!!

              Sure it costs money to get started but people sell memberships here for cheap all the time. Once you go, you'll be hooked, and once you are a member you get all classes for Free!

              I've been a member since 06 and have been to about 20 different classes, Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun.

              You really won't know how good you can be until you get trained by Professionals who do it everyday with every kind of person you can imagine.

              They are that good.

              Randy.
              Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
              Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
              Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
              Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

              It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
              www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

              Comment

              • #37
                EvoXguy
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2015
                • 731

                Holy snap at what the 590A1 goes for now. It's close to double what I paid for mine years ago.
                Peace through superior firepower

                Comment

                • #38
                  Dan_Eastvale
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 10799

                  The new for 2019 wood stocked, corncob forend version 590A1

                  Celebrating Mossberg's 100th anniversary in 2019, the Mossberg Model 590A1 Retrograde offers the look and feel of classic, wood-stocked police shotguns.


                  is extremely pricey at about $650 at the discount dealers

                  The original still $450 - $520



                  Don't remember what they were when first introduced for public sale.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Frito Bandido
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 718

                    Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                    The new for 2019 wood stocked, corncob forend version 590A1

                    Celebrating Mossberg's 100th anniversary in 2019, the Mossberg Model 590A1 Retrograde offers the look and feel of classic, wood-stocked police shotguns.

                    Holy crap that looks awesome :O
                    ~ El Frito

                    Are you a Fascist and don't even realize it? Find out! https://www.idrlabs.com/8-values-political/test.php

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      usr1987
                      Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • 421

                      So I picked it up and it feels great! I does have some blemishes and do not find the quality as many have said. I will take some pics but can't wait to shoot it next week!


                      Now I am considering a Henry Pump in the near future!

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Angryoldwhiteman
                        Junior Member
                        • Apr 2019
                        • 11

                        We like our 590A1's.

                        I am becoming a serious student of the shotgun. With that, I offer:
                        There are some good books on defensive shotgun by Ayoob, Farnam, Saurez. There is a lot of good information in them.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          -hanko
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 14174

                          Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                          The new for 2019 wood stocked, corncob forend version 590A1 is extremely pricey at about $650 at the discount dealers
                          I'd pick an Ithaca M37 DSPS for maybe $400-ish and be guaranteed I have a better made gun.
                          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Rakso
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2019
                            • 1327

                            Originally posted by usr1987
                            Today I put the deposit for a 590. Its on sale at Turners and decided its not worth spending another 300 for the 590A1. This would be my first shotgun. Any thoughts or recommendations? I am considering a tube extension for up to 9-12 shots!
                            Which one, the FDE one with pistol grip?

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              usr1987
                              Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • 421

                              Originally posted by Rakso
                              Which one, the FDE one with pistol grip?
                              no pistol grip

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                BajaJames83
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Jun 2011
                                • 6043

                                I am surgical with a shotgun
                                NRA Endowment Life Member
                                USMC 2001-2012

                                Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                                John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                                James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1