Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Supernova For Hunting Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AirWaves
    Member
    • Sep 2015
    • 170

    Supernova For Hunting Question

    Hey CalGuns,

    So I just recently bought a Supernova tactical and it comes with an 18.5 inch barrel. My buddies are suggesting to do duck and upload fowl hunting for the fall.

    So I was thinking of getting an 28 inch barrel. The cheapest place I found to buy a Nova/SuperNova barrel is at Cabelas for 240 dollars.

    I get the feeling that seems rather expensive for a barrel...

    Any suggestions? Thanks CalGunners!
  • #2
    toby
    Banned
    • Jan 2010
    • 10576

    If you're serious about hunting then buy or borrow a different gun for hunting.
    Last edited by toby; 09-16-2015, 4:54 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      sealocan
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2012
      • 9956

      That does seem kind of expensive. maybe you could shop around for a used one.

      Comment

      • #4
        BOBGBA
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Sep 2010
        • 2400

        Even if you get an additional barrel, nobody hunts ducks or upland game with a pistol grip stock.

        Get another gun (the right tool for the job) and practice shooting skeet and or trap before you go hunting. You'll enjoy it more and probably have better success.
        God Bless America - My iTrader rating - https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...2-transactions

        Comment

        • #5
          LowThudd
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 3608

          Why can't you hunt ducks with a pistol grip? People hunt turkey and dear with a pistol grip SG, why not waterfoul/upland? Is it just tradition? Or is there a specific reason I am not seeing?

          Comment

          • #6
            Thefeeder
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2007
            • 5007

            ><

            Turkey, deer and HD don't envolve the swing. Pistol grips are not the best when it comes to swinging the gun to the target, follow the trarget and swing after the shot. Pistol grips also take the strong hand into a angle, lowers the elbow and is harder to get a good gun mount. Adding to felt recoil and poor follow up shots. A bad mound on a day of good hunting and a box of 3" mags and you will go for a field stock.....the good side of a PG is you will have less ducks to pluck.

            Comment

            • #7
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Originally posted by Thefeeder
              Turkey, deer and HD don't envolve the swing. Pistol grips are not the best when it comes to swinging the gun to the target, follow the trarget and swing after the shot. Pistol grips also take the strong hand into a angle, lowers the elbow and is harder to get a good gun mount. Adding to felt recoil and poor follow up shots. A bad mound on a day of good hunting and a box of 3" mags and you will go for a field stock.....the good side of a PG is you will have less ducks to pluck.
              Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a better reply and explanation.
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              • #8
                Thefeeder
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2007
                • 5007

                ><

                Airwaves...I have to agree on a new shotgun....with cost of a barrel and field stock you can get a used field gun .....just pick something with field/sport stocks, 26 or 28" barrel , 3" mag and interchangable choke tubes and you can hunt any bird.

                Have fun hunting this fall

                Comment

                • #9
                  LowThudd
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 3608

                  Cheap Turkish auto in the marketplace $250 http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1114727

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    BigFatGuy
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 3176

                    I always wonder how much of this "expert knowledge" originated with someone who tried a pistol grip SG shotgun once and didn't like it...
                    NRA Patron Member

                    I've written up my ongoing adventures as I learn to hunt.

                    Yes, you CAN fit a case of shotgun shells into a .50cal ammo can.

                    I think i found an optimal solution for ammo can labeling.


                    I made this target for the NRA's Marksman pistol test. I think it's a lot better than the paper plate they suggest.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      AirWaves
                      Member
                      • Sep 2015
                      • 170

                      Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I failed to mention that my Supernova does not come with a pistol grip... So I believe is just the cost of a barrel.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        therealnickb
                        King- Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 8957

                        The only place a supernova falls down is quail IMO. It's heavy to walk around with all day at the ready & doesn't swing very quickly.

                        Aftermarket stuff seems expensive, but I've seen used guns as low as &350 -400.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1