I know there are a ton of 22 ammo threads, but I couldn't help myself. I went digging through my grandpa's gun cabinet the other day and came across a couple boxes of Winchester Wildcat from Coast to Coast hardware. I know some of you can remember this, probably early eighties.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
The good old days!
Collapse
X
-
The good old days!
Tags: None -
Awesomeness. -
About right. You could buy a gallon of Gasoline then for a buck too. Now a gallon of Gas if 4.00 but a cheap box of 50 .22 rounds (and those were a cheap grade stuff) can be bought today for less than 3.00.
People keep thinking .22 ammo is immune to inflation. I see it all the time.
My Dad is that way. He is way out of touch what stuff costs now. He thinks if you make 10.00 an Hour you are a millionaire
American Eagle is likely better than those wildcats. And it costs about 2.50 now at Walmart..96 cents could actually buy stuff then. Even a gallon of Milk likely..Comment
-
About right. You could buy a gallon of Gasoline then for a buck too. Now a gallon of Gas if 4.00 but a cheap box of 50 .22 rounds (and those were a cheap grade stuff) can be bought today for less than 3.00.
People keep thinking .22 ammo is immune to inflation. I see it all the time.
My Dad is that way. He is way out of touch what stuff costs now. He thinks if you make 10.00 an Hour you are a millionaire
American Eagle is likely better than those wildcats. And it costs about 2.50 now at Walmart..96 cents could actually buy stuff then. Even a gallon of Milk likely..
When I graduated high school in 1989 gas was $.85 a gallon.Comment
-
Wow
5.1.11 "Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush 43rd President (2001-2009)Comment
-
More like the late 90's
Hate to say it but if that's from the early 80's, he got seriously ripped off.I know there are a ton of 22 ammo threads, but I couldn't help myself. I went digging through my grandpa's gun cabinet the other day and came across a couple boxes of Winchester Wildcat from Coast to Coast hardware. I know some of you can remember this, probably early eighties.
Back then we paid $20 to $30 a case.
Hell 5.56 was .02/.03rd till slick willy occupied the chair.
Ahh...the good 'ol days when surplus was o'plenty & a fun day of NFA could be had to the tune of ~50 bucks...(M16/couple thou rds +/-. YMMV)
Even back in '00/'02 it was about $5 a brick. by '07 it was about $10...U get the picture.
This is the direct result of endless printing of monopoly money.
(and in high gear now!)
It'll only get worse...so when U find it cheap, stackin' it deep will ensure your ability to keep plinkin' in the future...
Funny I have friends that can recite, on demand, detailed stats of their favorite players/teams and projections of future probability but,
'sigh', don't/won't/refuse to understand the rudimentary aspects of the paper in their pocket.
(What really matters.)
Thanks for the trip down memory lane and the brief smile it brought with it....
(Yes I'm an ol' fart now.
)
God Bless and Stay Safe,
___________________LH out...Last edited by Liberty Head; 05-06-2014, 3:57 AM.Comment
-
These are the good old days.Fortunately I jumped on these when the opportunity came up. Was a good investment.
These still shoot good, I bought a few K per year. until 525 boxes hit 19.99 at Big 5. Who knew?
I am currently shooting bulk bricks bought in '91 . These Feds I save for small game and handgun
Last edited by thomashoward; 05-06-2014, 10:35 AM.http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...0fa5fefab1.jpghttp://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...Untitled-2.jpghttp://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...tar76148_1.jpg
"Everyone has two lives,the second one starts when you realize you only have one "Comment
-
Very cool seeing those photos of old .22 lr ammo boxes. Does that stuff still shoot good?
I miss the days of Big 5 shelfs full of $15 a brick Remington Golden bullets and Federal bulk there to buy anytime you wanted, we'll probably never see that again.Comment
-
Got some myself. Does anyone know if they have some value (other than the current cost of 22 ammo), or should I just shoot the stuff?
Last edited by sonofeugene; 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM.Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore
A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur SchopenhaurComment
-
Ah yes, the good ole days. I remember in my youth going to the store and buying .22 for .69 cents a box. We'll never see that again.
Sorry, not sorry.
🎺

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!Comment
-
^^^ someone above asked - if it has any collectors value or should I just shoot it now - question.
I know one person is a collector of the antique & old 22 ammo&boxes. He believes he has the largest collection of 22 items on the west coast.
(I find it strange, I don't think he's on Calguns even though I told him about it. he does a lot of stuff through gunbroker.)
when I asked him about it he said his general rule is :
If it has ANY type of safety /warning label on it, it is too new to collect.
There Is always exceptions, like a few boxes with colourfull painting/artwork on them of course.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,926
Posts: 25,153,298
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,753
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 27036 users online. 131 members and 26905 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.








Comment