Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Curious about .17HMR

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorCalFocus
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 3913

    Curious about .17HMR

    I was at Scheels in Reno last weekend and saw a huge selection of .17HMR. I was thinking about picking one up for my wife. It would be a target gun out to 100 maybe 200 yards.

    So is it a lot better than .22lr? Hows the accuracy with wind drift? Any suggestions thoughts or thing I should know?
  • #2
    Tom-ADC
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 3614

    I have three of them, two Savages & a Mossberg, it's a very accurate round, fun to shoot,
    US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

    Comment

    • #3
      gun toting monkeyboy
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2008
      • 6820

      How would it do on coyotes at 75-100 yards?
      Originally posted by aplinker
      It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

      Comment

      • #4
        badhabit90
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2007
        • 571

        they do very well on 'yotes at 75-100 yards. my father in law has slapped several at this range.

        he now carries his HOWA rifle in 243 and can touch them alot easier past the 150yd mark.

        shop around for the savage though....Sportsmans Warehouse in Reno was 50 bucks cheaper than Scheels.
        need a CA. compliant lower? Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

        Comment

        • #5
          mosinnagantm9130
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2009
          • 8783

          Very accurate round but wind can move it quite a bit.
          Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
          My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

          Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
          Originally posted by ChopperX
          I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
          Originally posted by Jeff L
          Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

          Comment

          • #6
            OneFunGuy
            Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 480

            The new Winchester WSM will leave everything else in the dust.
            Everybody knows this. All the other .17 will now enter into a dumping mode.

            If you can live with the lesser performance and want to save, then buy
            the stuff that they are starting to dump. Nothing wrong with that.

            Traditionally, in high tech we always bought high into the window.
            The "window", represents tech as it evolves passing by you.
            Buying high into the window means that you buy into advanced technologies.
            It can backfire on you, however. If Winchester drops it, you eat it!

            Have a nice day.

            PS I would buy into WSM.
            I am not an attorney, but sure, go ahead.

            Earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs, but not every mans greed.

            Comment

            • #7
              NorCalFocus
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 3913

              Yeah I was looking at the WSM too.

              Whats been the avalability of the HMR and WSM? I've never looked, but I may pass on it if its just as .22lr is sometimes.

              Comment

              • #8
                BroncoBob
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2008
                • 6019

                .17HMR is a great round, as mentioned wind will affect them. I have a Savage and it's a tack driver.

                sigpic
                NRA MEMBER

                Originally Posted by ar15barrels
                Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
                Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
                Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

                Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
                Michael Reagan

                Comment

                • #9
                  Tom-ADC
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 3614

                  US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    NytWolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 3935

                    The .17HMR was made to equal or surpass the performance of the .22WMR. It shares the same brass as the .22WMR with a .17 bullet -- as a matter of fact, it uses the same magazine as the .22WMR for bolt-action rifles. The .17HMR does everything with velocity and can be very accurate because of this. On the other hand, because of its lighter bullet weight, it doesn't buck the wind very well. A slight crosswind of 5 MPH can cause the POI to be all over the place -- about 12 inch groups if you can call it a group. But in ideal conditions, it would be easy to stretch it out to 300 yards.

                    I haven't hunted coyotes, but with the very violent TNT tips, it may do well.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NorCalFocus
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 3913

                      I need to talk to my wife so more and really see what she wants. If she wants a rimfire, I think you guys have made my mind up for me.

                      We may just get a small centerfire tho.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BroncoBob
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 6019

                        One more to think about is the .17MachII super accurate and quiet. I have a Savage and it's a kick to shoot. No, zero, none recoil.

                        sigpic
                        NRA MEMBER

                        Originally Posted by ar15barrels
                        Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
                        Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
                        Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

                        Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
                        Michael Reagan

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          gun toting monkeyboy
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 6820

                          I don't need a cannon. I need something quiet with a low chance of ricochets. I live in a shooting area, but I have neighbors. Other wise I would use a. 223.

                          -Mb
                          Originally posted by aplinker
                          It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            delsol
                            Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 107

                            Everyone who has the 17hmr love's them. I been thinking about one for over 6 months and finely bought a Savage and will be picking it up this Saturday.
                            Mostly will use It for punching targets at the local gun range.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              G21Shooter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2013
                              • 3577

                              Originally posted by NorCalFocus
                              Yeah I was looking at the WSM too.

                              Whats been the avalability of the HMR and WSM? I've never looked, but I may pass on it if its just as .22lr is sometimes.
                              I have a Savage B mag 17 WSM on order and have been trying to get ammo for it for the past few months. Getting 17 WSM ammo is about 10 times harder than getting .22 lr ammo now. When it is in stock it sells out instantly.

                              I don't think 17 HMR is going anywhere anytime soon to to the ridicules lack of availability of the new 17 WSM ammo. It is possible in 6 months the availability will improve but I am not holding my breath.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1