Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Red dot for 10/22?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TacticalPlinker
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 2532

    Red dot for 10/22?

    So I am looking for red dot for my Ruger 10/22. I am just not sure whats on the market that works well for this platform but I know red dots are popular with .22's. My only concern aside from price is the red dot being low or in other words mount at close to the receiver/barrel as possible. I need it to be accurate close and a reasonable distance for a red dot.

    I have used some sights where I cannot even hit a man sized target 25' feet away because the sights were so far above the barrel and could not adjust down. Oh and I can hit a man sized target 300' feet away up a hill in the wind with cheap ammo and a cheap scope so the gun has no accuracy problems. I just simply want to ditch the scope and go sort of CQB.

    Thanks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • #2
    mossy
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2007
    • 7432

    i have a bushnell trophy reddot on mine, gets the job done
    best troll thread in calguns history
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



    burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

    Comment

    • #3
      OpticsPlanet
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Apr 2009
      • 2129

      Personally, I think that the Burris Fastfire is still the "best-bang-for-the-buck"! Good quality, small size and reasonably priced:



      George P.
      CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

      OpticsPlanet
      http://www.opticsplanet.com
      Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
      Send us a private message if we can be of help!

      Comment

      • #4
        Izzy43
        CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
        • Dec 2009
        • 2670

        Before you buy check out the size of the "red dot". Some are 1 MOA (expensive), some are 5 MOA (cheap), some are 3 MOA (reasonably priced). 5 MOA at 100yds is 5 inches, forget accuracy.

        Comment

        • #5
          TacticalPlinker
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 2532

          Forget accuracy meaning what? I wont hit what Im aiming at?

          I was looking at a BSA RGB this morning at Big5. They are also 5 MOA and have red, green and blue dots. Any have an opinion on these?

          Also been thinking of a SHTF type situation and what if my red dot breaks or dont have batteries. So anyone have a thought on using iron sights or some type? My rifle has a rail on the receiver and above the barrel thanks to my Tapco stock. I used one flip down iron sights from UTG but I could not even hit the target. They were way too far above the barrel.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

          Comment

          • #6
            Wolfhound9k
            Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 211

            UltraDot makes a high quality, affordable red dot that lots of the competition shooters seem to be using and recommending
            .

            "With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity."
            Keshavan Nair

            Comment

            • #7
              ivanimal
              Janitors assistant
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Sep 2002
              • 14365

              Look into TruGlo for inexpensive well made red dots. It wont kill the budget and is great for a 22.
              "I would kill for a Nobel peace prize." Steven Wright"
              Board Member CGSSA Donate now!
              NRA lifetime member

              Comment

              • #8
                Izzy43
                CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                • Dec 2009
                • 2670

                Originally posted by TacticalPlinker
                Forget accuracy meaning what? I wont hit what Im aiming at?

                I was looking at a BSA RGB this morning at Big5. They are also 5 MOA and have red, green and blue dots. Any have an opinion on these?
                Accuracy, perhaps I didn't state that very well. A 5 MOA red dot will cover 5 inches @100 yds, 2.5 inches @ 50 yds. So any object that is smaller than the dot at those ranges will be difficult to see in that sight. That's my only point, not that you can't hit what you are aiming at, its a matter of "can you see what you are aiming at" through that sight with that size dot. I was not commenting on your rifle or your shooting skills, just the sight.

                I have one of those BSA RGB sights from Big 5. For sure it is a rugged sight, it spent some time on a Mosin Nagant, about 1000 rounds worth and held up very well. Also spent some time on a Marlin 60 and dispatched quite a few ground squirrels at 25-40 yds as well as a number of jack rabbits and some time on a S&W 22A pistol. No problem hitting soda size items @ 50 yds. Iffy performance out @ 100 yds on small targets or critters.

                I like the holographic type of red dot sights better because I can acquire the target quicker with that type of sight, just my preference. Good luck on your choice.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Jyruiz
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 2045

                  Check out Primary Arms, nice affordable red dots.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TacticalPlinker
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 2532

                    Thanks for the advice and info. Very useful.
                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cutty01
                      Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 165

                      Originally posted by Jyruiz
                      Check out Primary Arms, nice affordable red dots.
                      2nd Primary Arms for a reasonably price red dot. Great customer service and a great value for the price. I have one of the their Multi-Reticles and its a 2MOA.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Reductio
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 1923

                        Originally posted by ivanimal
                        Look into TruGlo for inexpensive well made red dots. It wont kill the budget and is great for a 22.
                        This.


                        Originally posted by Jyruiz
                        Check out Primary Arms, nice affordable red dots.
                        Or this.
                        Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                        Ah, the old "form over function" argument. I guess some people would rather be seen with a hot blonde who won't put out than with a "Neil 8" who will make you .

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tpuig
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 2163

                          I have an inexpensive TruGlo and also a smaller Tasco. Both are great on the 10-22. If the dot is too big, it will cover the target at longer ranges, making it a tougher shot.

                          Originally posted by ivanimal
                          Look into TruGlo for inexpensive well made red dots. It wont kill the budget and is great for a 22.
                          NRA LIFE Member

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Striper 05
                            Vendor/Retailer
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 900

                            I found a Barska red dot on sale at Big 5 for $39.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              whipkiller
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 3461

                              Originally posted by tpuig
                              I have an inexpensive TruGlo and also a smaller Tasco. Both are great on the 10-22. If the dot is too big, it will cover the target at longer ranges, making it a tougher shot.
                              Stupid question: when you guys say "red dot" sights, are we talking about the tube type?

                              What about Reflex type sights for a Marlin 795? I saw a TruGlo at Turner's for $80, for example.

                              I'm looking for options to the horrible Iron sights that came on this rifle, but I have trouble with quick target aquisition when using a scope, so I kinda' want something in between.

                              Which ones show up well in bright sunlight? I looked at a couple of Barska's at Big 5 and when I pointed them out the window the dot went bye-bye.

                              I just can't justify spending more on sights than I spent on the rifle, so what's cheap and good?
                              Too many hobbies, Too little time.

                              Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1