Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

who makes a decent .17

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    motoxracer42
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 55

    good info

    Comment

    • #17
      DirtyDave
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 2298

      Originally posted by ch47gunner
      If you're into ground squirrel, crow, or gopher shooting, the .17HMR is a must have.
      Ground squirrel and gophers - yes. Crows - no.
      Cant hunt crows in CA with a rifle (shotgun only). Unless you are operating under a Depredation Permit.

      Ok, back to the 17 discussion
      My Dad has the Mossberg 817 and it shoots great for not having a bull barrel like the more expensive guns. It shoots under MOA. I think he paid $149 at Big5.
      Hic Ego Statio

      If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson

      Comment

      • #18
        emgee00
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 2745

        Originally posted by ch47gunner
        If you're into ground squirrel, crow, or gopher shooting, the .17HMR is a must have.

        CZ vs Savage - why not one of each??

        I started with the Savage 93R17-BV - after much ammo/group shooting, I swapped out the Accutrigger for a Rifle Basix and found that the Savage liked the 20gn GamePoint ammo best.
        The Savage was so popular with the friends/family (I hate sharing) that I decided to buy another .17.
        So I bought the CZ452 Varmint for myself. I believe got the better deal there.
        The CZ is a much more quality rifle than the Savage - both are great shooters but, I needed to put in some serious time on the Savage to get it to shoot, where the CZ shot fine out of the box.

        Bruce

        Savage 93R17-BV w/ Tasco 6-24x42AO Varmint scope.


        CZ452 Varmint w/ Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40SF scope
        Bruce

        I am curious to know what "work" you had to put into the Savage? While I am not a big Savage fan (for no reason too), I have the exact same rifle setup that I bought used on this forum. I love the way mine shoots but then again, it was already sighted/worked in.

        I love the .17HMR's so much that I will most likely get one or two more in the near future. I will keep my eyes open for the CZ based on your input.

        I have never shot a fifle as accurate as my .17HMR, by far. At 100 yards my son can almost do a hole inside a hole. I will see if I have the squirrel targets from the last time we went. If I do, The pics will explain everything.
        WTB: Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR

        Comment

        • #19
          Wrangler John
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 1799

          There are two choices in .17HMR:

          Savage 93R17 in any of its configurations. Mine is a 93R17BTV a heavy barrel, thumbhole laminated ventilated stock model with a heavy barrel and AccuTrigger. Expect to pay around $440.00. With a 6-18X Leupold VXII it will shoot .5" at 50 yards and maintain them inside the 10 ring at 100 yards depending on wind. I use CCI TNT Green lead free ammo exclusively.

          Volquartsen Semi-auto .17HMR in any of its configurations. These are available in a vast variety of configurations from carbon fiber wrapped barrels with Hogue stocks to snake fluted stainless barrels with compensator and wild laminated stocks. Expect to pay $1,500 +\- depending on features. These are far and away the most accurate .17 HMR rifles available.

          I am not a fan of CZ products with so may good American made rifles available. This is not because of any inherent flaw of the line, just a bit of Buy American flag waving. Savage parts and service are also ubiquitous and inexpensive.

          The .17 Mach 2 is not as capable as the .17 HMR, nor is it likely to become as popular.

          With either, expect to have to double tap a squirrel much of the time to prevent draggers (important when competing in a sage rat festival where the carcasses or tails need to be turned in for a tally), the little .17 HMR 16 and 17 grain bullets plodding along at 2,500 fps (slower actually at range) don't react the same way a .204 Ruger 26 grain Varmint Grenade at 4,185 fps does (splat - was that mess a squirrel?)

          That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
          Last edited by Wrangler John; 04-03-2011, 3:19 AM.

          Comment

          • #20
            ch47gunner
            Member
            • Mar 2007
            • 431

            Savage is headquartered in the USA - however, the rimfires are manufactured in Canada.

            Sanded out the barrel groove to ensure free-floated barrel.
            Replaced Accutrigger with Rifle Basix trigger.
            Still to be bedded.
            My Savage is also very finicky about type/weight of ammunition - I tried about every different bullet type until I found the 20gn HP Gamepoints group best.
            The CZ shoots best with most any 17gn Vmax bullet.

            Bruce
            It's not a World War until France surrenders.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              jbush
              Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 407

              There's been a few stores in So cal that have run the Savages on sale for around 250 and a while back Bass Pro had Marlins for 190 in 17 hmr. I snagged a Marlin, put a Boyd's thumbhole on it and lightened the trigger added a inexpensive bushnell scope and it hits quarters at 100 yds with just a sandbag in front. The 13 buck for 50 rds isn't as bad as the centerfires, but still more then the 22s, but it's still my favorite gun to shoot.

              Comment

              • #22
                inspectorjj
                Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 122

                Originally posted by motoxracer42
                im thinking about the savage. im left handed but ive never owned a left handed weapon haha. been shooting since i could stand up lol. i might try and get a lefty
                I have a Savage 93R17 BTV/ w/ Nikon 6x18x40. PM me if you are interested.
                Comparing a 10MM to a .45 is like comparing Major League Baseball to Softball. One of them anybody can do and the other is strictly for men.....JJ

                Comment

                • #23
                  Kryptyde
                  Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 109

                  CZ vs Savage is an easy choice...CZ all the way if you're into quality and accuracy.

                  Neither are made in the US apparently so that argument is out.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    MyOdessa
                    Ban Islam
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 2562

                    If you have T/C Contender or Encore its easy to add barrel in .17HMR. Made in the USA. lol

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      kdmmcc
                      Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 118

                      Ruger

                      I have a Ruger 17/77, laminated stock... beautiful rifle. I picked over the CZ for no other reason that I like Ruger. No complaints, smooth action and as accurate as I am... scope was more than the rifle... can't compare to Savage or CZ though. Good luck, I love my .17.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        LCPL SKI
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 40

                        Go with the .17 HMR, it's a great round. I hear a lot of good things about the Savage .17's, but I personally own a Mossberg 817 .17 HMR. They sell them at big 5 for like $159 when they go on sale. I have a crappy $40 scope on mine and we were knocking the centers out of clay pigeons at 200 yards the other day.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ghostrider
                          Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 426

                          Volquartsen Fusion
                          Anschutz MPR
                          Ruger .22Magnum steel reciever conversion
                          All are extremely accurate and can shoot ragged holes at 100yds
                          Next on the to buy list is a CZ 452 American

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            milotrain
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 4301

                            I have a 452 Lux. Not the FS version, which I like a lot. It's a whole bunch of gun for very little money (although it was even cheaper when I got it). Very accurate and extremely light. Perhaps that's it's best point, besides it's accuracy which is fantastic. I just love to shoot it, and the adjustable sight is very nice. The range I go to has swingers at 30 Yards, 50yards, 60yards, and 100yards. I can easily go from the 50 to 100 meter sight setting and shoot a little low on the 30 and high on the 60 and clean all the rows. It's really the first gun that really got me to enjoy shooting offhand because I can put 100 rounds through it without getting tired at all (except for my eyes!).

                            Mine is a .22LR and effective to 100yards no problem. I can't imagine you being disappointed with any of the 452 variants in any caliber.

                            I'd shoot the 60gr Aguila SSS ammo for animals. It's a .22 short shell with an extended bullet. Very nice, and quite accurate for it's size and oddity. Also very quiet. Still moving enough out at 100yards that you just need to shoot a bit high I'd use it to 50yards on something with a heartbeat, although I haven't yet.
                            Last edited by milotrain; 04-14-2011, 11:46 PM.
                            weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                            frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              inspectorjj
                              Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 122

                              See link for a great deal on a Savage BTV .17 HMR.

                              Comparing a 10MM to a .45 is like comparing Major League Baseball to Softball. One of them anybody can do and the other is strictly for men.....JJ

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Tom-ADC
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 3614

                                This target shot 25 rd's at 100 yds Savage 93R17 FV with cheapo Center Point scope, I also have the Savage 93R17 BVS with a Mueller APV. But my first 17 HMR was a Mossberg 817 that I had the Center Point on it shot very well for the money still have it but don't shoot it anymore.

                                US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1