Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

who makes a decent .17

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • motoxracer42
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 55

    who makes a decent .17

    So after shooting every weekend with my friends im getting tired of spending money on 5.56 and .50 rounds lol. I want to get a decent plinking gun that is fairly cheap to shoot. I almost want to go with a .22 but from what ive seen the .17 is a much better round. any input helps. thanks guys
  • #2
    Tank 57
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 4184

    If you want to shoot a lot,.22LR is the best way to go.500 rounds usually around 20 bucks..17HMR 50 rounds 12-13 bucks.Don't know about .17M2,sure .22 is far less.

    Comment

    • #3
      motoxracer42
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 55

      its a hard decision for me lol. one of my friends has a .17hmr and it outperforms the .22 by far. but then again .22 is cheap. i just want a couple options of the best manufacturers of the rifles. i would like to be able to customize it quite a bit to make it unique. i like to be different haha

      Comment

      • #4
        Sailormilan2
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 3487

        CZ and Savage both make very good and accurate 17 HMRs. Each one has their supporters. You might try this link:



        I have a Savage and a USSG Zastava built Z-5. They(Z-5) have a very good reputation as an accurate rifle in 22 lr. I just need to shoot it a bit more.

        Comment

        • #5
          Tank 57
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2009
          • 4184

          My CZ 455 can shot 22LR or 17HMR.Combo comes with 2 barrels.Unfortunately haven't shot it yet.Still waiting for scope rings.Nice graphic on CZ website shows how it switches.

          Comment

          • #6
            shooterdude
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 844

            I have the Savage .17HMR with the heavy barrel and it is just sublime. The Savage accu-trigger is the best factory trigger, period. There is not much to customize on these rifles other than a powerful scope. I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm that are usually on sale from Midway for around $110. This combination makes ragged holes at 100 yards.

            The only enemy of the .17HMR round is wind.

            As others have said, .22LR is still the cheapest to shoot. If you have an AR-15 (which I am guessing since you shoot 5.56) why not get a dedicated .22 upper? I have a Velocity Firearms AR22-100 that runs like a charm as long as you have a rounded hammer in your lower.
            Using C Products 10 round magazines in my AR-15...just to be "safe"...

            Comment

            • #7
              motoxracer42
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 55

              Originally posted by shooterdude
              I have the Savage .17HMR with the heavy barrel and it is just sublime. The Savage accu-trigger is the best factory trigger, period. There is not much to customize on these rifles other than a powerful scope. I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm that are usually on sale from Midway for around $110. This combination makes ragged holes at 100 yards.

              The only enemy of the .17HMR round is wind.

              As others have said, .22LR is still the cheapest to shoot. If you have an AR-15 (which I am guessing since you shoot 5.56) why not get a dedicated .22 upper? I have a Velocity Firearms AR22-100 that runs like a charm as long as you have a rounded hammer in your lower.
              im thinking about the savage. im left handed but ive never owned a left handed weapon haha. been shooting since i could stand up lol. i might try and get a lefty

              Comment

              • #8
                welchy
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 1282

                A friend of mine and I both have the Savage. It is a great gun.

                Comment

                • #9
                  locosway
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 11346

                  I just paid for my Savage Mark II FV in .17 HM2 (not HMR). It ran me $300 out the door. A box of 500 rounds of match ammo ran me $49. In a few more days I'll get to pickup the rifle, mount my Leupold on it and my Harris bipod, and then I can rock and roll with the big boys!
                  OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                  NRA Certified Instructor
                  CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                  Glock Certified Armorer

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CEDaytonaRydr
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 4142

                    I've been interested to hear a "range report" on these CZ rifles; particularly, this one:

                    Explore CZ's latest firearms, including the CZ 600 and CZ 457 series. Shop online, customize with the configurator, and find local dealers.​

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      emgee00
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 2745

                      I bought an almost new Savage 93R chambered in .17HMR with scope and a Harris Bi-Pod for $260 within the last year on this forum. The gun has the bull barrel and the acu-trigger as well. This gun is so fun, accurate and cheap to shoot. Litterally the best investment I have ever made for under $300! My son and I can hit a target squirrel's eye at 100 yards with ease! A true nail driver. Oh, by the way, I also received a few hundred rounds of ammo too. Keep your eyes out as I have seen some similar deals since.
                      WTB: Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        emgee00
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 2745

                        WTB: Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Vee3
                          Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 203

                          Originally posted by CEDaytonaRydr
                          I've been interested to hear a "range report" on these CZ rifles; particularly, this one:

                          http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-fs/
                          Plenty of reviews & range reports over on RFC on the 452. Some who have multiple 452s say the FS is their most accurate one.
                          "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            stitchnicklas
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 7091

                            JUST BUILD A AR .22 AND HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ch47gunner
                              Member
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 431

                              If you're into ground squirrel, crow, or gopher shooting, the .17HMR is a must have.

                              CZ vs Savage - why not one of each??

                              I started with the Savage 93R17-BV - after much ammo/group shooting, I swapped out the Accutrigger for a Rifle Basix and found that the Savage liked the 20gn GamePoint ammo best.
                              The Savage was so popular with the friends/family (I hate sharing) that I decided to buy another .17.
                              So I bought the CZ452 Varmint for myself. I believe got the better deal there.
                              The CZ is a much more quality rifle than the Savage - both are great shooters but, I needed to put in some serious time on the Savage to get it to shoot, where the CZ shot fine out of the box.

                              Bruce

                              Savage 93R17-BV w/ Tasco 6-24x42AO Varmint scope.


                              CZ452 Varmint w/ Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40SF scope
                              It's not a World War until France surrenders.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1