Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best .22LR for a 10 year old

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Eddie1965
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 1465

    +1 for the Savage Cub, that's what my son shot on his 10th birthday.
    When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

    Comment

    • #62
      Ron-Solo
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2009
      • 8581

      The Crickett .22 Bolt Action, Tactical Sniper version. My 7 year old grandson loves it, and is very accurate with it.





      At age 10, he might be a little big, but you can get adult stocks for them as they grow. The replacement stocks run about $30-40 from Keystone Sporting Arms, the makers of the Crickett.
      LASD Retired
      1978-2011

      NRA Life Member
      CRPA Life Member
      NRA Rifle Instructor
      NRA Shotgun Instructor
      NRA Range Safety Officer
      DOJ Certified Instructor

      Comment

      • #63
        welchy
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1282

        Originally posted by Orcutt
        Puts on Flame suit...

        MY 2 cents from "Prehistoric days"...

        To young for his own .22. A pellet/bb gun that only you control (locked up) a great starter. Help, teach and instill safe and responsible shooting skills with the BB gun. If he learns your safe and responsible shooting skills, a .22 at 12 years old would be appropriate. That's how I grew up, and worked great. I thank my Father to this day for the shooting skills he passed on to me. Your son will too.

        Safe to take off flame suit ?..
        I disagree that he is too young for a .22, but I agree that he should have a BB or pellet gun first. This is the best way to begin to teach proper skills.

        That being said, I am getting my son either a Marlin 925 or 981T.

        Comment

        • #64
          Barry
          Member
          • Nov 2003
          • 193

          My daughter started off with the CZ452 Scout.


          Comes with a loading platform making it a single shot. Later you can replace the platform with 5 or 10 rnd magazines.
          Great rifle, nice and accurate.

          My son started with a CM-2 Cadet

          It will only ever be a single shot. Adjustable 2-stage trigger and fantastic accurate.

          Now dont get me wrong, kids love to knock things down. Given the option they both grab my semi autos and plink away. But I believe bolt action rifles are better to teach young kids with and will outlast their childrens children.

          Barry

          Comment

          • #65
            dangerranger
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 578

            when my boys were young, they were too small to hold up a full sized rifle till they were 13 or 14. they were mentaly up to it at 10yrs old. they just didnt have the arm strength. I got them a chipmunk at first, and they loved it but got bored with the single shot pretty quickly. next I found them a marlin papoose. its semi auto but has a short stock, 16" barrel, and only around 4lbs. it still gets shot when we get together. the chipmunk gets looked at but not shot often. the boys are aged 21 to 38 and now I have grand kids that want to shoot the marlin. your son probably wont have the same problems mine did but if you find him something he likes it will stay with him for life. DR

            Comment

            • #66
              scuds03
              Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 162

              When I was 10, I was killing ducks with a break action single shot 20ga youth shotgun. Not being a semi and being lightweight you felt all the recoil. If I could handle that at 10, a .22 should be no problemo.

              Comment

              • #67
                BlackJack
                Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 322

                Originally posted by pdq_wizzard
                wash hands after shooting and don't eat when shooting, and don't put the rounds in the mouth.

                the other two things that just paranoid.
                Oh man I remember when I was a kid I'd handle .177 and .22 pellets while eating burger and fries. I'm pretty sure those Crossman .177s were lead because they were soft and pewter colored. Back in the '70s there were no warnings on the pellet cans or I would have been more careful!
                NRA Member
                GSSF Member
                Avatar courtesy of JSolie

                Comment

                • #68
                  MaHoTex
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 5002

                  Originally posted by BlackJack
                  Oh man I remember when I was a kid I'd handle .177 and .22 pellets while eating burger and fries. I'm pretty sure those Crossman .177s were lead because they were soft and pewter colored. Back in the '70s there were no warnings on the pellet cans or I would have been more careful!
                  Yes and I can remember chewing on them and squishing the pellets between my teeth.

                  Forgot all about that until reading your post. Explains a lot now.
                  NRA Life Member

                  sigpic

                  Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

                  "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    bombadillo
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 14810

                    Lever action Henry would be great, Marlin 60 is great but with the semi-auto, they tend to get shot much faster and not think about the trigger control or group. the Savage bolt action would be a great shooter, make him take his time, and are really accurate rifles out of the box.






                    This last one may be a bit small so take that into consideration.

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      ChaparralCommando
                      Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 475

                      Originally posted by Izzy43
                      +10 The CZs are great and he will be able to shoot it a LLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG time. Semi-Autos are not that great for children. I think its better to give them a bolt action with iron sights to start with.
                      I completely agree with this. The CZ scout sights can even be upgraded to match peep sights for crazy precision shooting, or even a scope later. The 452 is also upgradable to a Timney trigger and can take 5 and 10 rd magazines. It will be a rifle that will keep him content for a while.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        iFlyLow
                        Junior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 88

                        I would get the ruger 10/22!

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          toby
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 10576

                          Thompson Center just came out with a scaled down version of the G2 or contender if you will it's a 22 lr and turners has them for $200 way cool little gun.

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            axhoaxho
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 10084

                            For a 10 years old, checkout the Ruger Single Six. A single-action cowboy revolver, came with two cylinders (.22 LR and .22 Magnum), and a choice of blue or stainless steel.

                            The Single-Six is very nicely made, and will last many generations in your family.

                            Regards,

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Seesm
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7812

                              Or build a ar style rifle in 5.56 and put a .22 kit in and when they get older they have a real rifle they can still plink with time to time... Btw you can load 1 bullet at a time in the mag so they learn to go slow... BEST IDEA in this thread yet... :P

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                yoitsbruce
                                Senior Member
                                • Oct 2010
                                • 766

                                berretta neos

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1