Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best .22LR for a 10 year old

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    radio2
    Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 360

    Originally posted by dwh100
    They must have miss placed their safety glasses and hearing protection!

    IMHO... besides the 4 rules, the use of eye and hearing protection are two of the most important aspects of this sport young shooters should be taught!
    Very true and I have custom ear plugs and safty glasses for them and they use them, But they were just posing for a pic and the guns wern't loaded, I would post the other pics but I don't there face on the net.

    Comment

    • #47
      basilisk
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 12

      Originally posted by Ape
      You're paranoid!
      Don't believe all the hype out their in California about lead hazards from shooting. I, like many hundreds of thousands of people (if not more like millions) like me, learned how to shoot with all that "dangerous lead" and it never effected any of us. Unless of course you count the idiots who got shot! lol

      Lead poisoning is overrated. When I was little, I used to play with toys that were actually made of lead (I cast toy soldiers myself out of salvaged car batteries), and I turned out OK
      I'm not a gun nut! I'm a FIREARM ENTHUSIAST!
      World Peace Through Superior Firepower

      Comment

      • #48
        Ape
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 859

        Originally posted by basilisk

        Lead poisoning is overrated. When I was little, I used to play with toys that were actually made of lead (I cast toy soldiers myself out of salvaged car batteries), and I turned out OK


        Not to hijack the thread but.......I see all of the over bearing rules and regs for kids today and think back to when I was a kid and was actually allowed to be a kid, and wonder how it is people have become so over protective as to not allow their kids to be kids

        I wouldn't take back one bruise, set of stitches, broken bones or scars that I earned as a kid!

        Comment

        • #49
          MaHoTex
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2010
          • 5002

          Originally posted by gmcal
          10/22 is the Ruger 10/22, possibly the most common semi auto .22lr carbine out there.
          I am certain that award goes to Marlin.
          NRA Life Member

          sigpic

          Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

          "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

          Comment

          • #50
            MaHoTex
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2010
            • 5002

            Originally posted by rcschummers
            Bolt action, iron sights. Marlin makes some quality, accurate rifles out of the box.
            For Xmas this year, I have purchased a Marlin 925 bolt gun for my son. SHHHH!! This is a secret!

            Walnut stocks, blued metal... BRAND NEW!! I was thinking of have a plate engraved to put on the stock with his name and xmas 2010.
            NRA Life Member

            sigpic

            Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

            "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

            Comment

            • #51
              MaHoTex
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2010
              • 5002

              Originally posted by Ape
              I wouldn't take back one bruise, set of stitches, broken bones or scars that I earned as a kid!
              Well, I don't know, there is this one I got while I stepped on a broken beer bottle while walking in a flooded ditch barefoot. I would trade that one.
              NRA Life Member

              sigpic

              Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

              "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

              Comment

              • #52
                ilikeguns
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 782

                OP, I think your choice is perfect. I was just about to recommend the Cricket line of single shot 22's. Perfect for the youngn's to learn about accuracy and making every shot count. Also safer than a semi for them, since reloading after firing is more involved. Easy to keep track of the condition of the gun ect ect.
                Get the cricket single shot.

                Comment

                • #53
                  Ape
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 859

                  Originally posted by MaHoTex
                  Well, I don't know, there is this one I got while I stepped on a broken beer bottle while walking in a flooded ditch barefoot. I would trade that one.
                  Ahhhh....But you learned a valuble lesson didn't you?
                  I don't know about you, but even if my parents told me "not" to do something, it had no actual bearing on whether or not I would or wouldn't do it. I have to walk behind the horse and get kicked at least once before I learn many of my lessons! LOL

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    MaHoTex
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 5002

                    Originally posted by Ape
                    Ahhhh....But you learned a valuble lesson didn't you?
                    I don't know about you, but even if my parents told me "not" to do something, it had no actual bearing on whether or not I would or wouldn't do it. I have to walk behind the horse and get kicked at least once before I learn many of my lessons! LOL
                    Yes, but to this day (30+ years later) it occasionally still hurts. I suppose I should have a doctor check it out.

                    I NEVER go without shoes anymore, so I suppose I did learn something. Still, I would trade that lesson.
                    NRA Life Member

                    sigpic

                    Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

                    "If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      ptgarcia
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 744

                      I'm thinking about picking up a Thompson/Center Hot Shot to acquaint my 7 year old son to shooting. Anyone have anything to say about the Hot Shot?
                      Paul

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        chiburi
                        Member
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 319

                        Originally posted by Sailormilan2
                        USSG imports the Zastava made Z-5 in a Youth Version. Fair looking Walnut stock after a bit of work. Very nice bluing and metal work. Only plastic on it is the buttplage. Easily scoped, and comes with very good iron sights. IIRC, the trigger is non adjustable, though the adult guns have fully adjustable triggers. It might be possible to upgrade later.
                        I have 2 of the 22s, and one in 17HMR. Website photo shows the older Remington laminated stock.



                        Beautiful gun, how much do those run? BTW, I'm going to start a new thread asking what the "best and worst" rules/advice you ever got while learning about gun safety...

                        Chib
                        Oh, that a man's reach should exceed his grasp...

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          KaLiFORNIA
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 1189

                          S&W 15/22 ... ?

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            TrailerparkTrash
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4249

                            I know it's not a .22, but for my girl's first gun at age 12 (few months ago), I bought her this Glock 19 (9mm):



                            I have not regretted this decision in the least. It's so nice to shoot and a 12 year old girl can handle it just fine.. This way, she will grow up with this gun practicing at the range until she moves out one day.

                            I wanted her to have this new gun so by the time she's 18,19 20ish and a "Zombie" tries to get into her appartment, she'll have been used to shooting this gun for several years. Very low recoil, weight and muzzle flip. Perfect for a newbie.
                            sigpic

                            It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

                            -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              chiburi
                              Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 319

                              We went to big 5, and he of course fell in love with the .22, MP15/22. Sweet looking, and we could grow with it. Now, my problem is I can't find a reasonable price. Big 5 has it for $500, which seems ridiculous to me. Anybody have any thoughts on where to find this? There were air soft versions for half the cost, but I'd rather buy the real thing in .22 caliber, and get a nice scope and bipod for him vs. An air rfle and a .22 5 months later.... Anybody know where I can get one around the bay area so I don't have to pay an additional transfer fee of $100??

                              Best,

                              Chib
                              Oh, that a man's reach should exceed his grasp...

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Seesm
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7812

                                Not too young... My 9 year old has his own Ar15 style rifle and my 7 year old has a Ar style pistol... yeah they are both mine but they are theres when they get older... Both handle better than some adults I know...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1