Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

10/22 bolt lock removal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    rsrocket1
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 2772

    I thought I had a problem with the bolt lock on my 10/22. I kept having problems with the bolt locking back several times per 10 shots, but it also seemed to be ammo dependent. I bought a commercial modified bolt lock (I think it was about $11 shipped), disassembled and cleaned the magazine, bought 2 new magazines and the bolt lock problem kept showing up. I was pulling my hair until I finally realized that I reassembled the receiver incorrectly!

    I placed the bolt lock spring (B42) above the ejector pin (B35) and not below it. That does not put enough force on the spring to hold the bolt lock down and it was popping up and locking the bolt randomly. Of course if the recoil was stronger or milder because of the type of ammo, it made a difference as to whether it popped up and locked or not. Once I tucked the spring leg under the pin, I never had the problem again.
    Last edited by rsrocket1; 06-09-2010, 8:01 AM.

    Comment

    • #17
      XDRoX
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 4420

      Originally posted by rsrocket1
      I thought I had a problem with the bolt lock on my 10/22. I kept having problems with the bolt locking back several times per 10 shots, but it also seemed to be ammo dependent. I bought a commercial modified bolt lock (I think it was about $11 shipped), disassembled and cleaned the magazine, bought 2 new magazines and the bolt lock problem kept showing up. I was pulling my hair until I finally realized that I reassembled the receiver incorrectly!

      I placed the bolt lock spring (B42) above the ejector pin (B35) and not below it. That does not put enough force on the spring to hold the bolt lock down and it was popping up and locking the bolt randomly. Of course if the recoil was stronger or milder because of the type of ammo, it made a difference as to whether it popped up and locked or not. Once I tucked the spring leg under the pin, I never had the problem again.
      Very good post Rocket. I was wondering why any modification the OP made could cause his problem. I bet this is what happened.
      Chris
      <----Rimfire Addict


      Originally posted by Oceanbob
      Get a DILLON...

      Comment

      • #18
        slik556
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 1192

        Originally posted by domeshotjuan2
        i know i can replace it but im just wondering if for some reason i couldnt get to a new part or to some tools to fix this one would i be able to remove the bolt lock and keep shooting without having to worry about further breakages.
        I don't understand what you are trying to convey with this statement, are you lost in the woods or something? Check with a company like http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22.htm. he has them for $8.95 shipped and the thing will be at your door in a couple of days..... unless of course you are actually lost in the woods. Once installed you will not have to worry about the thing ever giving you problems again. And as stated before make sure that you have the springs in the right place and that the bolt release is not just flopping around. Good luck and have fun!
        sigpic
        IF THE BRADY BUNCH WAS AROUND
        WHEN CAIN KILLED ABEL,
        THERE WOULD BE A 10DAY
        WAITING PERIOD ON ROCKS

        Comment

        • #19
          XDRoX
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 4420

          Originally posted by slik556
          I don't understand what you are trying to convey with this statement, are you lost in the woods or something?
          Chris
          <----Rimfire Addict


          Originally posted by Oceanbob
          Get a DILLON...

          Comment

          • #20
            domeshotjuan2
            Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 141

            Originally posted by slik556
            I don't understand what you are trying to convey with this statement, are you lost in the woods or something? Check with a company like http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22.htm. he has them for $8.95 shipped and the thing will be at your door in a couple of days..... unless of course you are actually lost in the woods. Once installed you will not have to worry about the thing ever giving you problems again. And as stated before make sure that you have the springs in the right place and that the bolt release is not just flopping around. Good luck and have fun!
            o.k. let me try to word this differentley. IF I WANT TO remove the bolt lock, should i have any issues with the function of the rifle other then the function i would have just elimenated. could i shoot this rifle reliabley?

            Comment

            • #21
              Gem1950
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 2876

              Originally posted by domeshotjuan2
              o.k. let me try to word this differentley. IF I WANT TO remove the bolt lock, should i have any issues with the function of the rifle other then the function i would have just elimenated. could i shoot this rifle reliabley?
              No! You cannot eliminate the Bolt Lock (part B-41) because if you do the Bolt Lock Spring (part B-42) will have nothing to rest on. See that little perpendicular tab, with the slight notch on the edge, that is bent at right angles?

              Or, Maybe you can?
              "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine



              "We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

              "Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."

              Comment

              • #22
                rsrocket1
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 2772

                Originally posted by domeshotjuan2
                o.k. let me try to word this differentley. IF I WANT TO remove the bolt lock, should i have any issues with the function of the rifle other then the function i would have just elimenated. could i shoot this rifle reliabley?
                That would mean you would have to remove the bolt lock and bolt lock spring. At this time, the magazine latch will be flopping back and forth because there is no tension holding it one way or the other. On top of that, the magazine latch will slide left and right because the bolt lock is meant to take up space between the mag latch and the wall of the trigger housing.

                Have a look into The Classic American Ruger 10/22 Rifle that is showcased on our dedicated website along with the best tips, tricks, and features!


                At the very best, you would have a 10/22 with a bolt that can never be locked open. I doubt you will be allowed to take it to a gun range even if you wedge a safety flag in the chamber. At worst, you would have safety issues with that magazine latch flopping back and forth, left and right.

                Like I said before, are you SURE you reassembled it correctly?
                If you have to take it to a gunsmith to ensure you did, do so. If he has any ethics, he won't price gouge you just for looking at it.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Mr. Plinkers
                  Junior Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 17

                  I have one VQ and one I did myself, they both work the same. I bought the VQ first then made the second one using the VQ as a guide.

                  Here's a link for a new VQ, $9.95 free shipping. I've bought from these guys before they're great.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1