I like that attitude cannoneer! Why buy one, when you can get two for twice the price!
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Ruger 22lr pistols Vs Buckmark
Collapse
X
-
STUFF I HAVE FOR SALE! SCOPE RINGS, Man CAVE FRIDGE, ETC
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...30#post7299330
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=487541
STUFF I WANT TO BUY! Glock 20, Marlin model 39 -
lol
In all seriousness, I've not shot the Buckmark, but when I held it, the balance of it was much better than my 22/45; however, I'm a sucker for modifying and I think I'd still buy a 22/45 over the Buckmark for that reason. I don't have the $ to mod it much now, but when I do...
And even though the Buckmark felt better balanced, once I put my red dot on it, the balance on the 22/45 was just fine
Everyone opposes judicial legislation until the judiciary legislates in their favor.Comment
-
Sorry, I have a few of each and they both have pros and cons but, they are both excellent choices. If you have unlimited cash, I'd recommend a S&W 41. If you have a lot of time to hunt for a good deal on an old .22lr pistol, I'd suggest looking for some old High Standards. But, if you want staight shooting, reliable and affordable new .22 pistols, you've already narrowed it down to the top two picks. Now, you'll have to figure out whether your a Ford or a Chevy man. Since I'm a mopar guy that will drive anything, I can't help you narrow your choices down anymore. Well, there are more aftermarket parts and accessories for the Rugers. Also, consider price and availability of mags. Good luck and post pictures of BOTH guns when you get them.NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
Utah CCW Instructor
Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
sigpic CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
KM6WLVComment
-
Good thread. I've been going back and forth on these two guns (want something to take to the range with Ultimate Cliploader and shoot up a bulk box). Any recommended shops in the SFV, Ventura, LA area where I can handle one or both. I've been tempted to get a Buckmark via the Gunbroker route but the alphabet soup in their names meets the CA "not unsafe" list has me wary of buying something I can't own.Comment
-
Well, if you can wait that long, I'm moving up to LA in a few weeks and you can shoot my 22/45 to your heart's desire (just bring your own ammo or reimburse me for my ammo that you shootGood thread. I've been going back and forth on these two guns (want something to take to the range with Ultimate Cliploader and shoot up a bulk box). Any recommended shops in the SFV, Ventura, LA area where I can handle one or both. I've been tempted to get a Buckmark via the Gunbroker route but the alphabet soup in their names meets the CA "not unsafe" list has me wary of buying something I can't own.
).
I'll even show you how to field strip it and reassemble it in under 30 seconds so hopefully you don't spend an hour and a half on it the first time you try to field strip it like I did if you decide to go that route
.
Last edited by snobord99; 07-22-2009, 4:16 PM.Everyone opposes judicial legislation until the judiciary legislates in their favor.Comment
-
I agree on getting a conversion kit for 1911 if you already have a 1911 and just want another 1911 platform. Or move up to 1911's made for .22lr like Kimber Rimfire which I really love. Kimber Rimfire is my go-to fun gun and also a practice gun before and after shooting my 1911's in 9mm & 45acp at the range so it gets a lot of range time.
As to the choice between Buckmark and Ruger, I went over the same issue but also wanted to upgrade the barrel to a Tacsol barrel. So I got a Buckmark since the Ruger barrel carries a serial # and needed FFL transfer it was a easy choice for me. Got a 7 1/4 fluted barrel, swap out the grips and installed optic sight, it's turned out to be a hell of a plinker, but my daughter own's it now
Comment
-
you can make the buckmark feel more like a 1911...
first of all, i own both a ruger mkII and several buckmarks. both are good guns. just comes down to "personal" preference.
as far as "replicating" a true 1911 "feel", i'd have to agree that a .22 conversion kit would be the best way to go since you'll be using the same frame/grip. the only downside to that is you could not quickly switch from lr to centerfire without dis-assembly. don't know if that would be a big deal to you. with a dedicated .22 pistol, you'd be able to alternate between lr to centerfire with ease.
here's a way to give the buckmark a "big boy toy 1911 feel":
classic double diamond in cocobolo...




"tried and true" pachmayr wrap-arounds:


-rusty22Comment
-
-
It just comes down to personal choice.
586L-FrameComment
-
which ruger 22 pistol has the mag release infront of the trigger gaurd?Comment
-
i just got a 22/45. i like it so far but i do have reliability issues but i am hoping it will get better after more breaking in. aside from that, i got to shoot it side by side with a buckmark yesterday and accuracy is very comparable.
the buckmark feels better in the hand right out of the box. the 22/45 grip needs to be modded to accept aftermarket grps where the buckmark grips are great out of the box and has more off the shelf options.
the buckmark is more expensive and it does not come with a scope rail. if you are handy with a dremel, you can get a 22/45 to feel equally good for less money but i think the buckmark is better for someone who doesnt want to make permenant mods to their pistol.
it also seems that the buckmark is less picky with ammo but i can speak to that in general terms. It might be just my 22/45 or its magazines. after doing a lot of research I have found numerous people with the rounds loading into the bottom of the feedramp and getting caught or at least shaving slivers of the tip off of the bullet with the ruger mkIII 22/45.
for what i paid for the pistol, i saved almost $200 from the buckmark I shot since the pistol was $100 cheaper and the buckmark scope rail cost the owner an extra 70 bucks. I can't really complain too much about it because of that.Comment
-
2 problems I had with my 22/45 and how I fixed it:i just got a 22/45. i like it so far but i do have reliability issues but i am hoping it will get better after more breaking in. aside from that, i got to shoot it side by side with a buckmark yesterday and accuracy is very comparable.
the buckmark feels better in the hand right out of the box. the 22/45 grip needs to be modded to accept aftermarket grps where the buckmark grips are great out of the box and has more off the shelf options.
the buckmark is more expensive and it does not come with a scope rail. if you are handy with a dremel, you can get a 22/45 to feel equally good for less money but i think the buckmark is better for someone who doesnt want to make permenant mods to their pistol.
it also seems that the buckmark is less picky with ammo but i can speak to that in general terms. It might be just my 22/45 or its magazines. after doing a lot of research I have found numerous people with the rounds loading into the bottom of the feedramp and getting caught or at least shaving slivers of the tip off of the bullet with the ruger mkIII 22/45.
for what i paid for the pistol, i saved almost $200 from the buckmark I shot since the pistol was $100 cheaper and the buckmark scope rail cost the owner an extra 70 bucks. I can't really complain too much about it because of that.
1. FTEs (stovepiping): get a VQ extractor. Haven't had a FTE since I put that in and it's been about 2,000 rounds since. Prior to that, I think about 2 in 10 would stovepipe.
2. Ammo getting stuck on the feed ramp: took a Dremel bit to the bottom of the feed ramp and rounded off the bottom edge of the feed ramp by hand. Gave it maybe 5 passes through by hand. Just do it enough to remove the sharpness of that bottom edge. I think I've put about 2,500 rounds through it since I did that and have only had 1 get stuck like that since.
Sounds like you're having problem #2, give that a try and let me know how it goes.
Everyone opposes judicial legislation until the judiciary legislates in their favor.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,534
Posts: 25,148,735
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,908
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 18797 users online. 140 members and 18657 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.





Comment