Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Big problems with Ruger 10/22 takedown at Appleseed shoot

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    jross239
    Member
    • Nov 2018
    • 104

    Issue 2 sounds like a dirty rifle, or your barrel nut loosened up on you. My groups opened way up on me on day 2 because my rifle was leaded up. I went from consistent 204 and 206 scores to 177 and 175. I didn't even think to remove my comp. Got home to clean my rifle and my como was full if lead.

    Issue 3 with mags not dropping free, or hard to insert sounds like the magwell on the stock needs to be sanded out.

    It could be the mag release not pulling the plunger back far enough, but the mag should insert without using the release lever.

    Keep practicing and don't get frustrated. The time limits can really test you. The kneeling stage really gets me

    The NDZ mag release is amazing.

    I just went back and reread your post and saw you have a KIDD drop in trigger. I would highly suggest putting the KIDD mag release back into the KIDD trigger. The KIDD plunger is a little longer and they use a stronger spring.

    With your action out of the stock see if your mags slide in and out of the stock freely

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #17
      lostdogfan
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2020
      • 70

      delete
      Last edited by lostdogfan; 01-16-2022, 10:16 AM.

      Comment

      • #18
        drclark
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 1818

        Did you shoot the rifle after the mods before the appleseed event?

        Sounds like some of the issues could have been wrung out on a range trip before going.

        Comment

        • #19
          FeuerFrei
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2008
          • 7455

          Originally posted by lostdogfan
          Apologies - instructor said he thought the height** of the bull barrel was causing the issue. If I am remembering what he said correctly. But the problem itself was that we couldn't adjust the front sight enough to lower the group without the physical post coming unscrewed. The difference was too much.
          Remember: F O R S for adjusting iron sights. Front Opposite Rear Same.
          This refers to the direction the sight needs to move to change the point of impact.

          If I had a chance to tell you before you went to shoot I would have told you to keep it box stock. Mods only come after you shoot it a while and then only change that which will improve performance. Then sneak up on it by changing 1 item at a time and retest/repeat as needed.

          Hope you get it sorted out for the next time.
          Last edited by FeuerFrei; 11-29-2020, 3:45 PM.

          Comment

          • #20
            Kokanee
            Banned
            • Jan 2016
            • 374

            I did not read all the responses, but I'll add my experiences with my takedown fluted bull barrel 10/22.

            When I first shot the gun, long before going to appleseed, my groups started opening up. The more I shot the worse it got, and the more I had to adjust the scope (1-4).
            Turns out (maybe this is known here), the takedown (barrel into the receiver) had slop in it. I found the adjusting nut where the barrel and receiver meet. Tightened it up until there was drag when turning the barrel to lock.
            Fixed that issue.

            At appleseed.....
            The magazine(s) would not consistently drop with my factory stock.
            Some mags ok, some would stick.
            Came home......
            Took the receiver off and sanded the mag well until all mags dropped.
            Odd that factory mags and factory stock would not run together.
            Since I have added a extended release, bx trigger, and did the diy bolt hold open mod.
            Haven't shot it since, but the mags drop freely now.

            Comment

            • #21
              ScottsBad
              Progressives Suck!
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • May 2009
              • 5610

              Put a RDS or scope on it.
              sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

              Comment

              • #22
                Epaphroditus
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2013
                • 4888

                Mag wells are notoriously variable - particularly in aftermarket plastic versions. File it open. I've had to do this with every plastic stock I've tried.

                More personal preference but the last shot open and extended mag releases ... used them for a while but never really liked them so took them off. Not worth the hassle in my opinion and experience.

                Always work the kinks out before the competition/training.

                Gratuitous plug for Lil Crow gunworks recoil lug mod. Put in the lug, bed the action and float the barrel (especially with plastic stocks). Thank me later.
                CA firearms laws timeline BLM land maps

                Comment

                • #23
                  TKM
                  Onward through the fog!
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jul 2002
                  • 10657

                  I always test my mods in competition.


                  Said no one ever.
                  It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Dvrjon
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 11370

                    Originally posted by lostdogfan
                    This is extremely helpful. Thank you. And that was part of what was confusing to me. Shooting off a bench at 50 yards at the range the day before the event, when I tested my equipment and broke in my new barrel (the .920) felt fine. Groups were about what I expected given I am a not great somewhat newer shooter. But they at least existed on the paper and weren't wildly inconsistent.

                    I wonder if I just need to get another 10/22 for my next Appleseed that is a non-takedown and keep my takedown for bench shooting...
                    So, you took a new, and completely modified rifle into the field with nothing more than a bench rest day at the range?

                    Now, you’ve got a cascade of event failures and you can’t sort it out.

                    I would suggest you strip all of the add-on stuff and return the gun to stock. Test fire and understand what it takes to make the gun perform in stock configuration. Adjust the locking system to get the optimal performance. That gives you a benchmark.

                    Then, add one thing and test it at the range. Once it runs flawlessly, add something else. Once you have a consistently stable platform, then swap barrels.

                    Finally, install the sling and evaluate its influence. I agree that this will tension the barrel and impact accuracy.

                    All the while, keep an eye out...the Ruger 10-22’s often go on sale at this time of year.

                    Good luck.
                    Last edited by Dvrjon; 11-29-2020, 5:13 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      five.five-six
                      CGN Contributor
                      • May 2006
                      • 34928

                      can a 10-year-old attend and participate in appleseed?

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57180

                        Originally posted by five.five-six
                        can a 10-year-old attend and participate in appleseed?
                        Yes, if the host range allows it.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57180

                          Originally posted by ojisan
                          2. Check barrel tension ring nut setting.
                          I have not fired my Takedown enough to see if there is a heating / accuracy issue but the barrel nut must be correctly adjusted so there is zero barrel play.
                          This is the biggest problem with the 10/22 takedown.
                          I have had many of them through my shop and not one of them was as tight as it should be.
                          I have been able to put several more clicks on all of them to get the barrel to turn in tight.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            RR.44
                            CGSSA Leader
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 1933

                            Originally posted by TKM
                            I always test my mods in competition.


                            Said no one ever.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              SnWnMe
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 6897

                              Not enough function check fires.
                              Frank Da Tank

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                CSACANNONEER
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Dec 2006
                                • 44094

                                Originally posted by TKM
                                I always test my mods in competition.


                                Said no one ever.
                                Actually, I know more than one person who has won the FCSA World Championships and says the only way to test things for a match is to shoot them during a match. In fact, most FCSA shooters I know will test different loads or mods during actual matches.
                                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                                Utah CCW Instructor


                                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                                sigpic
                                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                                KM6WLV

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1