Anyone here have first-hand experience with the Phoenix Arms H22A? At about $150 is seems worth consideration for an inexpensive pistol.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
.22 pistols- advice please
Collapse
X
-
No experience with the Beretta or Sig, but I'd go for the Smith or the Ruger. Both are very good quality plinkers straight out of the box. The Smith is easier to takedown for cleaning but there's more aftermarket support for the Ruger in terms of magazines, grips, etc. I've heard good things about the Mosquito but its grip is too small for me, so I passed on it. I currently own a Browning Buckmark which I love, but they're a bit out of your $300-ish price range.I am about to get my first .22 pistol. Just for something cheap and different...
In the $300 or so range... Im looking at:
Ruger MK III
Beretta u22
SW 22
sig mosquito
Id love to hear your suggestions and why. This is just a fun gun, not a match or trainer. Id like it to shoot the bulk ammo reliably.I'm good with numbers:
.22 .32 .380 .40 5.56 .223Comment
-
I picked up a Ruger Mark III 22/45 a few weeks ago for $255 shipped (plus FFL fees, etc). I LOVE it. More accurate than me (I think). Will shoot pretty much anything which I think is especially important in this ammo market. I can barely find ammo for it let alone be picky about what I find.
As far as cleaning goes, this is the first gun that I've really taken apart and worked on. The first time was a pain, took me about an hour and a half to get it apart and back together; however, after that things got smoother and smoother. Now, 3 weeks in, I can field strip it with my eyes closed and can do a detailed strip and reassemble in about 10 min. It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I've held a Browning Buckmark and REALLY loved the balance and feel. If it shoots as well as the Ruger (as people say) I'd probably go for that. Thought it was ugly as hell in pictures, but it actually wasn't too bad looking in person (though ugly wouldn't be enough to keep me from buying it). One reason I'd pick the Ruger over the Browning is if you like to mod it. I've modded the Ruger a bit and LOVE working on it.Everyone opposes judicial legislation until the judiciary legislates in their favor.Comment
-
I
my Ruger MKIII. I have never had any problems with it. It is by far my favorite handgun to shoot and disassembly isn't a problem if you can follow instructions.
The statement about it not being accurate,
. I have found my MKIII to be extremely accurate and will shoot anything I feed it. It is a fun, reliable and accurate handgun and I would recommend it.
sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
Originally posted by hoffmangNFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-GeneComment
-
The Ruger can be had very cheaply. They're extremely reliable and will feed cheap ammo. However, putting them back together can be annoying. There are You Tube videos to show you the trick of getting it back right.
The Mosquito is nice, but needs some break-in. It fires CCI Mini Mags very well, but doesn't like the bulk ammo.
I've never fired one, but hear good things about the Buckmark. The early Walther's supposedly had some feed problems, but I hear that's been resolved.
I recommend looking for a used Ruger MKII.Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.
(A sword is never a killer; it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, 45 ADComment
-
Another vote for the Buckmark; the standard model with the 5.5" slab bull barrel is less then $300 I'm pretty sure of.
SCMA-1sigpic
"Wherever I Walk,
Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.
Wherever I Am,
Anyone In Need Has a Friend.
Whenever I Return Home,
Everyone Is Happy I Am There." - "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. HumphreyComment
-
My personal gun is a Buckmark 5.5 due to the great grip and 1911 grip angle.
Then the Ruger 22/45 came out, also a good choice for the 1911 feel.
The regular Rugers are great, especially if you like the Luger / Glock grip angle.
I bought a Walther P22 but sold it, just not my gun.
Phoenix Arms HP22 has gone bang for me every single time so far in about 500 rounds. It really prefers only 9 in the mag, not 10. Mine shoots a little high but otherwise it's a good plinker. Good value for the money.
Originally posted by Citadelgrad87I don't really care, I just like to argue.Comment
-
As far as accuracy of the Ruger goes, here's my best 10 round group ever (I'm not all that accurate...I think this was actually a fluke) @ 10 yards w/Winchester 333 bulk @ an indoor range.
Everyone opposes judicial legislation until the judiciary legislates in their favor.Comment
-
I also have to go +1 for the Buckmark. I've shot Ruger Mk II's and the S&W Model 41. They're all plenty accurate for me... but since I also have a 1911, I prefer the Buckmark. The grip angle and basic placement of the slidestop, manual safety, and magazine release are in basically the same places on the Buckmark as on a 1911, so I don't really have to adjust too much when switching platforms. I'm not too particular though. Mine has occasional failures to extract and feed... but it doesn't do that too often and it's random enough that I get used to doing clearing drills.
I'm actually quite fond of my Buckmark. It's a great little 5.5" slabside bull barrel pistol that is probably more accurate than I am right now.
I never had any issues with the Rugers. The grip angle is the same as the Glocks. They're plenty accurate. Once you learn how to strip them down for cleaning, they're not bad pistols at all.Comment
-
If you decide to go with Ruger, I'd stick to the 22/45. It is set up more like a 1911. They offer it in bull barrel as well..
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--PlatoComment
-
Ruger or SW22A. I've shot the Rugers(never a bad way to go) I own a S&W22A it's a great little gun. It's shoots very well, 1/2" groups are not out of the question. Take down is easy, price is good, grip is large but comfortable. Really wish I could find a smaller one. I shot over a 1000 rounds thru it in a short period after purchase and had a few misfires but it's pretty common with the amount of 22lr made. ONly experience with the Walther was a guy next to me shooting one and it was more finicky(sp) with ammo than my S&W.
RUGER:relieable, shoots well not finicky(sp) with ammo, lots of aftermarket support
S&W 22A: relieable, shoots exceptionally well, slightly picky with ammo, has a full length sight rail, every model comes with heavy barrel. Don't waste your money on the bull barrel version the standard model has one just machined a bit.
FYI-Likes Remington Golden bulletNRA Level 1 Pistol Coach - VentureCrew SASP Coach
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA RSOComment
-
I have a S&W 22A with the nice wood target grip. I probably have 15k rounds through it and it finally broke a part about a month ago. The firing pin snapped in half where the retaining pin is. Less than $20 to get the new parts including a new buffer, retaining pin, return spring, and firing pin shipped to my door. Now it shoots as good as new.
The one thing I don't like about it is the frame is cast aluminum and wears rather quickly in my opinion.
Mine shoots any cheap ammo and pretty accurately if I do my part. If I were to buy another I wouldn't mind trying a Buckmark but if I didn't care for the feel I would buy another 22A without hesitation.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,563
Posts: 25,149,204
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 32940 users online. 147 members and 32793 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment