Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.22 pistols- advice please

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • weezil_boi
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1305

    .22 pistols- advice please

    I am about to get my first .22 pistol. Just for something cheap and different...

    In the $300 or so range... Im looking at:

    Ruger MK III
    Beretta u22
    SW 22
    sig mosquito

    Id love to hear your suggestions and why. This is just a fun gun, not a match or trainer. Id like it to shoot the bulk ammo reliably.
  • #2
    Travis8128
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 1445

    dont have personal experience but you should check out the walther p22.

    seems to be a popular one.

    Comment

    • #3
      bussda
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 1182

      Don't know about price, but the Ruger is usually the inexpensive one. And is the most amount of accessories available for later.

      BTW, have you checked the rimfire section also?
      I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner. Stupid Idiot will suffice, after all, it's only words.

      You must define something before you can understand it.

      Want to Sell: SW357V - (LA)
      Magazines (AR-15 Kits), Contender Barrels and other I am selling
      .22 WMR

      Comment

      • #4
        weezil_boi
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2007
        • 1305

        Originally posted by bussda
        BTW, have you checked the rimfire section also?
        Good idea. I wish I thought of it 5 minutes ago

        Comment

        • #5
          Meety Peety
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 3216

          Ruger is a good gun, but it can be a pain to break down. It isn't the most accurate thing ever either, but then again.. that is to be expected. One thing I've loved about mine is that it seems to feed most budget ammo very well compared to other pistols. My Walther P22 is probably the most accurate .22lr pistol I've seen, which is surprizing with its 3" barrel. Its sturdy, reliable and accurate, not to mention feels a lot better than most .22 pistols (In my opinion).. however you'd be looking at a higher price. After tax and fees, mine was ~$450 out the door ($375 tag). You could probably find one cheaper, they are just hard to come by where I live so I had to pay what that particular dealer wanted.

          So I'd say go with the Ruger if your budget is super firm, or if you can spend a few extra bucks, the Walther is great.
          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

          Comment

          • #6
            X-NewYawker
            In Memoriam
            • May 2008
            • 5993

            Ruger Mk III for life
            walther P-22 for now

            I should clarify that. I loved my Walther -- really accurate -- but broke pretty easily. The Ruger is metal -- stainless hunter -- great sights -- and really accurate too. Can't break it down easily? That's right. That's what gunscrubber is for.
            Last edited by X-NewYawker; 05-16-2009, 11:44 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              weezil_boi
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 1305

              The walther is a little more than I wanted to spend. But it also felt kinda small? Maybe I was handling a compact model or something, but didnt dig it too much.

              I like the feel of the rugers and the smiths... but just find the bolt style of the ruger kinda wierd and unfamiliar to me.

              Are they like the 10/22... where you can lube and run em forever without cleaning? Or are they high maint internals?

              Comment

              • #8
                berto
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2005
                • 7723

                Don't forget the Browning Buckmark. In your price range and a lot of fun.
                "There are no outdoor sports as graceful as throwing stones at a dictatorship." Ai WeiWei

                Comment

                • #9
                  Meety Peety
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 3216

                  The Walther definately is a compact - Its small. 75% scale of the P99, which already isn't a huge gun. I do like it though, always had a thing for compacts.

                  If you like the feel of the Ruger, I think you should definately get one. Out of the other choices, you will get the best performance out of it. It doesn't NEED to be broken down for cleaning every time, but I'm the kind of person that likes to. Its not impossible though, and once you've done it a handful of times, it becomes less of a PITA. If you want to run it without cleaning often, from what I've seen it isn't that much of a problem. A buddy of mine has run his without cleaning for a very long time.. probably between 2-3k rounds. I don't like it, and I beg him to let me clean it (lol) but it doesn't seem to hinder performance too much.. it does FTE and FTC from time to time though, every 100 or so rounds.
                  "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JTROKS
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 13093

                    Originally posted by berto
                    Don't forget the Browning Buckmark. In your price range and a lot of fun.
                    +1.

                    I got 2 of them and I've shot Rugers and S&Ws.
                    The wise man said just find your place
                    In the eye of the storm
                    Seek the roses along the way
                    Just beware of the thorns...
                    K. Meine

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bussda
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 1182

                      Originally posted by weezil_boi
                      I like the feel of the rugers and the smiths... but just find the bolt style of the ruger kinda wierd and unfamiliar to me.

                      Are they like the 10/22... where you can lube and run em forever without cleaning? Or are they high maint internals?
                      The ruger bolt style is just about like any other semi auto, pull the slide back at the back.

                      Yeah, no one will want to admit it usually, but very low maintenance. Some (not me) have said the shoot better without cleaning, but that is what others have said.

                      But the big winner is, if you want to customize it later, you have losts of options.
                      I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner. Stupid Idiot will suffice, after all, it's only words.

                      You must define something before you can understand it.

                      Want to Sell: SW357V - (LA)
                      Magazines (AR-15 Kits), Contender Barrels and other I am selling
                      .22 WMR

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SanSacto
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 2205

                        Originally posted by berto
                        Don't forget the Browning Buckmark. In your price range and a lot of fun.
                        That's the first .22LR pistol I am going to get.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Turo
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2009
                          • 5066

                          I just got a Beretta u22 Neos, and it's great! smooth trigger, really comfortable grip, and accurate as heck.
                          "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
                          -Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            r08ert209cali
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 1534

                            Another plus 1 on the buckmark. I love mine very acurate. goes with me every time. including todays squirrel round up..

                            I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              illuminate10
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • 826

                              Originally posted by Turo
                              I just got a Beretta u22 Neos, and it's great! smooth trigger, really comfortable grip, and accurate as heck.
                              Yea I have the Neos also and it's fun to a point to where I'm worried about the longevity of it. The U22 Neos eats everything I put in it. ( bulk packs, Aguila SSS 60 grain, etc.. ) Out of the thousands of rounds I've put through it, it has jammed maybe 3 times. Has the built in rail on top too.
                              Not to forget the price tag around $260 before taxes and DROS.
                              The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth.
                              Cicero

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1