Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Marlin 795 thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rojocorsa
    replied
    So I shot my firend's stock 795. FUN! FUN! FUN!

    I did better with it than I did with my CZ 452 (but that's only because the sights were not zeroed.)


    But damn, those little guns are so fun. I can only imagine how much more awesome adding the techsights would be. The stock sights do suck; am I am spoiled to my CZ's sights--I just need to find the time to properly zero them.

    Leave a comment:


  • rojocorsa
    replied
    Originally posted by Homebrew2
    If I do my part and the cheap Fed ammo cooperates, my 795 dings my 6" plate at 200 yd fairly regularly. ... and pegs my resettable 2" swingers at 50 yds till I'm bored. I don't do "groups" so I can't comment on that.
    I bet you can beat me with your 795--even if I use my CZ. I need to figure out how to get hits at 300 with my irons, lol.


    I'm glad to hear that the 795 is a more than capable gun. I would personally buy one if I were in the market for one. Like mentioned earlier, I took an interest because my best buddy got one on Tues. We're gonna go shoot it tomorrow afternoon.

    Leave a comment:


  • Acetoda
    replied
    Thanks nwoods, Chaos47 and rojocorsa for answering my inquiries. I have checked rimfirecentral.com and its pretty much the same, everyone loves the Techsights an only a handful use the Williams. From what I've read, Techsights are more accurate and is recommended by most Appleseed instructors. The only ace the Williams has is if you plan to use the gun for night hunting or in dim light, as the fiber optic beads "glow".

    Most likely I will go for the Techsights. I would still like someone who has used the Williams to chime in as it seems no one has made a review on them yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • Homebrew2
    replied
    Originally posted by rojocorsa
    What is the typical accuracy to expect from a standard 795?
    If I do my part and the cheap Fed ammo cooperates, my 795 dings my 6" plate at 200 yd fairly regularly. ... and pegs my resettable 2" swingers at 50 yds till I'm bored. I don't do "groups" so I can't comment on that.

    Leave a comment:


  • rojocorsa
    replied
    I don't own the gun, my best friend just picked it up from 11-day jail. Naturally, as I now have "access" to a specimen, my curiosity in these increased.

    I'll be sure to tell him to try Fed Auto-Match. I think when he picked up the gun, he also picked up a box of the Winchester white box bulk stuff (which looks like the stuff in the 333 boxes.) 36gr copper plated HP.


    I'm still not sure if it's worth putting some of my RWS R-50 through it though...

    Leave a comment:


  • azlester
    replied
    Try a box or two of Federal Auto-Match, Federal Standard Velocity and Wolf Match MT and see how well they shoot. I think that you will be very pleasantly suprised at just how well you will shoot with these rounds if you do your part.

    No, match grade ammo isn't just for serious bolt guns, just more expensive.

    Leave a comment:


  • rojocorsa
    replied
    Another ignorant question:


    Does anyone ever run match grade ammo through such a gun, or is that only for serious bolt guns?

    Leave a comment:


  • The Tech-1
    replied
    Originally posted by rojocorsa
    What is the typical accuracy to expect from a standard 795?
    Pretty damn good

    Leave a comment:


  • nwoods
    replied
    I'm not a very good shot, and still have not made Rifleman through 2 Appleseeds, but with my stock 795 at 25 meters I can get 10 shot groupings within an inch (ignoring a flyer or two :-)
    More specifically, given a one inch square at 25 meters, I can hit each individual corner of the square, on purpose. That is with a scope of course. Without the scope I can't even SEE the square :-)

    This is with cheap Remington green box ammo, and also with CCI Blazer. I shot a similar group with a very tricked out 10/22, so I feel pretty good about it's accuracy.
    Last edited by nwoods; 05-04-2011, 8:40 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • rojocorsa
    replied
    What is the typical accuracy to expect from a standard 795?

    Leave a comment:


  • s4alex
    replied
    I can't wait. Took advantage of the Big5 sale. Yeah, I know, it's cheaper at Turner's or Dick's, unfortunately, I live in Northern Cal, no such luck for us (ATM).

    Bought the rifle for my son.. ;p.. ofcourse, I may have to break it in for him and maybe test it out while he is not using it..

    But, already bought a scope for it, would it be too redundant to buy the Tech Sights also? I don't want my son to get too used to a scope when he is used to using Peep sights at his shooting league.

    Also, have been reading mixed reviews on Marlin's customer service. I am worried that the dovetail mounts may be a little off. Has anyone has recent interaction with Marlins CS and sending in the rifle to be filed down to get the mounts straight? Should be covered under warranty right?

    Leave a comment:


  • rojocorsa
    replied
    If I owned one of these rifles, I would summarily put some techsights on it.

    I might even do it with my CZ, but I don't "need" to yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chaos47
    replied
    Originally posted by Acetoda
    Hey all,

    Pending member of the 795 Club over here!

    I figured the Marlin 795 would be a perfect 1st gun/rifle from reading numerous stellar reviews, so I purchased one during the last day of Turner's spring sale for $134.50 before the $25 rebate. Started the 10 day wait on Sunday, so I've been looking for accessories for the Marlin to cope with my impatience

    Anyways, I've browsed through this whole thread and have read about the stock iron sights being a pain to use. Turner's did not have a 795 onhand, so I was not able to see it for myself, but if thats the case, I wanna look for a good replacement. I don't want to go scope as I plan to use the Marlin to learn the "fundamentals" of rifle shooting and I personally see scopes as a shortcut (hopefully no one takes offense, this is just my opinion). So...

    1. My options look like its either the TechSights or Williams Fire Sight set. I like the Williams as it looks more streamline, and cheaper than the TechSights, but from the thread, most of those who have the latter love them, while there seems to be no love for the Williams. Can anyone give me a comparison on which are the better sights?

    2. Are aftermarket sights fairly easy to install? What tools do I need to remove the stock sights and what would i need to get the new ones leveled?
    (Sorry for being a noob, this will be my 1st gun after all...)

    Any help would be appreciated. I also plan to attend some Appleseed events if I can so hopefully I get to meet some of you in person...Cheers!
    Removal is easy-
    Front sight has one small screw.
    Back sight is dove tailed, just use a wooden dowel and hammer it out.

    Leave a comment:


  • nwoods
    replied
    Good choices on all accounts. The Appleseed guys seem to favor the Tech Sights. I'm not familiar with the Williams. You might also check out Rimfirecentral.com for another more specific forum to ask.

    I wish my eye sight was good enough to use iron sights, but those one inch black squares at 25 meters are pretty tiny. I use a scope :-)

    Leave a comment:


  • Acetoda
    replied
    Hey all,

    Pending member of the 795 Club over here!

    I figured the Marlin 795 would be a perfect 1st gun/rifle from reading numerous stellar reviews, so I purchased one during the last day of Turner's spring sale for $134.50 before the $25 rebate. Started the 10 day wait on Sunday, so I've been looking for accessories for the Marlin to cope with my impatience

    Anyways, I've browsed through this whole thread and have read about the stock iron sights being a pain to use. Turner's did not have a 795 onhand, so I was not able to see it for myself, but if thats the case, I wanna look for a good replacement. I don't want to go scope as I plan to use the Marlin to learn the "fundamentals" of rifle shooting and I personally see scopes as a shortcut (hopefully no one takes offense, this is just my opinion). So...

    1. My options look like its either the TechSights or Williams Fire Sight set. I like the Williams as it looks more streamline, and cheaper than the TechSights, but from the thread, most of those who have the latter love them, while there seems to be no love for the Williams. Can anyone give me a comparison on which are the better sights?

    2. Are aftermarket sights fairly easy to install? What tools do I need to remove the stock sights and what would i need to get the new ones leveled?
    (Sorry for being a noob, this will be my 1st gun after all...)

    Any help would be appreciated. I also plan to attend some Appleseed events if I can so hopefully I get to meet some of you in person...Cheers!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1