Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Marlin 795 thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • caoboy
    replied
    Originally posted by HondaMasterTech
    Shot the 795 again today. Put about 300 more rounds through it. Some failures to eject later on. I used a dental pick to clean the buildup from the bolt face. Problem solved.

    Went to around 150 yards. Group was about 3". Pretty decent. Shot a 9mm sized hole through a quarter. Pretty cool. Exploded some cantelopes. Had fun. Still happy with the 795.
    What ammo are you using? Sounds like some dirty stuff. I shot 100 CCI minimags, and probably another 300 of the winchester bulk pack (which was dirty compared to the cci) and I only had one failure to fire, and I think that was because of the bullet, not the gun.


    Did you break your gun down and clean it before firing it the first time? From the responses here, I did that, and didn't have any problems with it.

    I took it home from the range and broke it down and cleaned it, ready to go again this Saturday w00t.

    Leave a comment:


  • valleyguy
    replied
    Picking up mine from Big 5 today after 11 day DROS. I have Tech sights and a M1-style sling waiting for it, going to try it out on Sunday (after a good cleaning and lube) to sight it in.

    Leave a comment:


  • HondaMasterTech
    replied
    Shot the 795 again today. Put about 300 more rounds through it. Some failures to eject later on. I used a dental pick to clean the buildup from the bolt face. Problem solved.

    Went to around 150 yards. Group was about 3". Pretty decent. Shot a 9mm sized hole through a quarter. Pretty cool. Exploded some cantelopes. Had fun. Still happy with the 795.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caseus
    replied
    The action looks sound from an engineering standpoint, but the charging handle is suspicious to me. It seems like it just doesn't fit right. It's a tad bit wiggly.

    Leave a comment:


  • HondaMasterTech
    replied
    The action has a bunch of stamped sheet metal. I'm surprised it works at all.

    Took mine out today for the first time. Sighted the scope in about twenty rounds at about 50 yards. Fired about 200 rounds with about 5 malfunctions. I will clean it, lube it and take it out again tomorrow. Grouping was about 1.5 inches @ 50 yards. Not too bad for an oldtimer like myself. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.


    Btw, When you see people at a shooting spot in the national forest, dont come pouring out of your car with a gun in your hand and beer bottles droping out of the car. Just keep going...

    Leave a comment:


  • Caseus
    replied
    So I went to clean the rifle for the first time and noticed something interesting... the bolt release lever no longer functions... I'm puzzled. I haven't done anything to the gun (that I know of) other than install my sling. Worked fine in the store. Any ideas? I've tried safety on/off, magazine inserted/empty... nothing.

    EDIT: Figured it out, had to pull back slightly on the bolt, move it out to the right, and then guide it forward.
    Last edited by Caseus; 08-09-2009, 9:43 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Caseus
    replied
    Just picked up my Marlin 795 yesterday. I'll post pictures when I've installed my scope and sling, because I'm sure everyone here has seen a stock 795 before.

    I'm probably just gonna slap a Bushnell 4x32 on it, because I'm not gonna do anything more than casual target shooting and plinking.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gigan
    replied
    My Son really likes the Muzzelite Bullpup stock but not sure if it'll fit the 795. I'm hearing different stories as to weather it will fit. i know it will fit the Marlin 70 but not sure about the 795. Anyone have any experience see one on a 795? How different is the 795 from the 70?

    Leave a comment:


  • Kokopelli
    replied
    Yes, Big5 sucks in that regard. Good prices on "sale" firearms, bad policy on waiting period.

    Leave a comment:


  • HondaMasterTech
    replied
    Get to pick it up tomorrow. Big5 and 11 day wait... Rediculous.

    Leave a comment:


  • HondaMasterTech
    replied
    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by HondaMasterTech
    Thanks! Do they say exactly why there is an issue with that ammunition?
    A Link to the manual:


    It just states that they have tested some brands that worked the most consistently and by Remington High Velocity it shows (Not Thunderbolt). So the Thunderbolts may work, just not as well as the others.

    Hope this helps!

    FROM THE MANUAL:
    NOTE: Our testing has shown that the
    following types of 22 L.R. ammunition
    produce the most consistent functioning
    and the best accuracy in our self-loading
    22 rifles:
    • CCI Mini-Mag
    • CCI Mini-Mag Hollow Point
    • Federal Classic High Velocity
    • Remington High Velocity (Not Thunderbolt)
    • Winchester Super X High Velocity

    Leave a comment:


  • jkchan83
    replied
    Originally posted by HondaMasterTech
    Get to pick mine up on the 7th. I have an airgun scope I plan on putting on it. Can't wait. Need to find ammo. Any to AVOID?
    I found some CCI Stingers at Wal-Mart and ran them through my 795. The Stingers are "Hyper-Velocity" ammo and the manual does not recommend using them. Even in a 22, there was a definite greater recoil, sound, and muzzle blast.

    They grouped the best out of all the ammo I tried, but given that they were not recommended by the manufacturer, I went with the second-best in my test: CCI Mini-Mag 40gr. Round Nose.

    Leave a comment:


  • HondaMasterTech
    replied
    I bought a bunch of Fiocchi high velocity copper plated hollow points. 36 grain 1200 something fps. Hope they work.

    Leave a comment:


  • otteray
    replied
    Avoid standard velocity and plain lead. Plain lead and some plated ammo can both be dirty and cause reliable function issues.
    Hi- velocity coated or plated works best.
    Every rifle is different; so, get some ammo from each maker and try them out.
    Federal bulk and CCI Blazer have worked very well for me.
    No Remington ammo has been worth a darn in either my Marlin Model 60 (tube magazine)or my Glenfield Model 70 (clip magazine.) Both from the 1960s.
    Everything functions in my Marlin Model 39 lever action circa 1920s; but I had to fit a modern breech bolt to handle the hi-vel ammo.
    The S-prefix serial number 39 breech bolts were only able to handle standard velocity stuff.
    Last edited by otteray; 08-03-2009, 7:56 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1