Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.22lr shotshells

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 5.56
    Member
    • May 2015
    • 470

    .22lr shotshells

    What's your favorite shot shell and which type of firearm do you use it in?

    My friends and family have coined my home "Rattlesnake Ranch" thanks to all the rattlers I have on my property. I prefer to use a 12ga with universal loads. However, I recently started using CCI shot shells out of my 10/22 rifles since I dont need hearing protection and I can eradicate them when they're right next to my home without causing damage. I was impressed with how effective it was from 10 feet! 1 shot put it down and 2 more just to be safe.

    I've been thinking about buying a .22lr revolver with a few shot shot shells in the cylinder to carry around when I do brush clearing that way I don't have to carry around my Ruger GP100. I'm eyeing a ruger LCR. Anyone have any experience with shot shells and short barreled firearms?
  • #2
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    I used Federal .22lr shotshells in one of my NAA revolvers to dispatch a rattlesnake last week. One shot and it was done. The drawback is the NAA is a SA. I normally carry a 2 1/4" SP101 and use my own .38 shotshells loaded with Speer shot capsules. Anyway, I prefer Winchester or Federal .22lr crimped shotshells to shot out of my Remington 121 with a Routledge barrel. It was designed for crimped shells so, why not use them? I've tried CCIs in it but, they don't preform any better and cost 4-5 times more. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good supply of .22 mag crimped shotshells for my Marlin Garden Gun so, I've been force to use CCIs in it. Those are my only two .22 rimfire shotguns.

    If you're going to get a gun expressly for rattlesnakes, I suggest a SA/DA .38. There's nothing wrong with a nice SA/DA .22lr like a SP101 but, they are more expensive and harder to come by than a .38. Besides, .38 shotshells are easier and less expensive to roll your own than .22lr shotshells are. Again, make sure you buy something capable of shooting double action. I've had to dispatch a few between my feet or coiled up within inches of my shins and, I wouldn't want to have to take the extra time to cock my gun.
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #3
      MyOdessa
      Ban Islam
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Mar 2011
      • 2561

      I like CCI, use it in Bearcat, S&W Model 63 and in Ruger MKII.

      Comment

      • #4
        ThatFishGuy
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 1084

        I've tried pretty much all the flavors of cci shots shells, but my favorite so far are my home rolled 327 shot shells out of my single seven. The have pellets and two gas checks flying out.... and yes the check do damage too. Last rattler I shot had one check lodged in its spine.

        Comment

        • #5
          philc
          Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 480

          Somewhat off topic, but have you ever eaten rattle snake meat? Any good?
          United Sportsmen Range Safety Officer
          (Volunteer)

          Comment

          • #6
            bk23103
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2014
            • 1095

            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
            I used Federal .22lr shotshells in one of my NAA revolvers to dispatch a rattlesnake last week.
            The only .22 pistol I've got happens to be an NAA .22LR that I won in a raffle. How did the shotshells perform in yours?

            Comment

            • #7
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Originally posted by bk23103
              The only .22 pistol I've got happens to be an NAA .22LR that I won in a raffle. How did the shotshells perform in yours?
              Rattlesnake was dead with one shot about 6' away. It was a clean head shot and it was an instant and humane kill. If you want to see how your's performs, try shooting a few rounds at soda cans at various distances.
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              • #8
                justin4fun
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2011
                • 601

                I happen to run across a old Remington 510 with a routledge bore. It has about 8" of smooth bore then the rest is opened up to about the size of a 410. It's awesome with the shotshells. I get about a 6 " pattern at about 15 yards. It prefers the old crimped end shells to the newer plastic tip.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bk23103
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2014
                  • 1095

                  Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                  Rattlesnake was dead with one shot about 6' away. It was a clean head shot and it was an instant and humane kill. If you want to see how your's performs, try shooting a few rounds at soda cans at various distances.
                  Excellent! Sounds like a good idea to carry in addition to my G21SF when I'm out in the desert.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CSACANNONEER
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 44094

                    Originally posted by justin4fun
                    I happen to run across a old Remington 510 with a routledge bore. It has about 8" of smooth bore then the rest is opened up to about the size of a 410. It's awesome with the shotshells. I get about a 6 " pattern at about 15 yards. It prefers the old crimped end shells to the newer plastic tip.
                    Have you ever tried breaking clays with it? I've taken mine to a skeet range and was able to break a few birds with it. I've also broken about 20% shooting straight aways from right behind the thrower. I did notice on the skeet range that we had to give the birds a little less lead than with a 12g.
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                    Utah CCW Instructor


                    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                    sigpic
                    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                    KM6WLV

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Barbarosa
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 2166

                      I dispatch 8 - 10 a year on my property. Most have been with a High-Standard derringer in .22 mag because I always have that gun with me. I have also taken several with a .22 Bearcat and .38 in a 642. This year I scored snake shot in .45 ACP and got two with that. Now I have started carrying a 351PD with .22 mag snake shot in the first two chambers.

                      If you can get a head shot .22 long rifle works fine out of short barrels out to about 6 feet which is plenty of distance. .22 Mags are good for about 10 feet. .38 and.45 just shred them out to about 12 feet.

                      My wife keeps a 317 loaded with snake shot. Nice light weight if you want to carry while clearing brush, etc.

                      I've tried eating rattlesnake and don't enjoy the taste but I could eat it in a SHTF scenario. It isn't bad, just not good. It tastes musty to me. I suppose enough garlic or herbs would mask that.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        beerman
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 5195

                        Years ago I had a problem with fruit rats living in the palm trees just over my BBQ area (I lived in a subdivision) I tried a pellet gun, but they were impossible to hit. I switched to CCI minimag shotshells launched out of my Ruger MII. I could nail them as they jumped from the tree to the telephone lines that ran along the property line separating me from the neighbors. I had only 1 shot cause the CCIs wouldn't cycle the action of the ruger. I was able to rid the tree of rats, but also created quite the partyline with the neighborhood phone system with all the shot in the wires.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          WMG
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2016
                          • 1159

                          In 22LR I like the pepper shots better "the crimped shells" than I do the CCI but in centerfire CCI is the only choice and whether in 40s&w or 357 or 9mm I know I want to be about 5-6 feet on a snake shot.
                          I used to shoot smoothbore 22's at a 22lr turkey shoot and those that came with rifled barrels couldn't compete with the smooth bores.
                          A 22lr shot shell with an adapter in a smooth shot gun barrel is even very good. Better than most would think.
                          If I wanted to buy a handgun strictly for shooting snakes , this is where I believe the the .410 handguns finally earn their keep .... the shot pattern is so much better even in the older Leinad cheap guns.
                          The only time I ate snake was when it was a day old left over and I don't think it was done well to start with so no fair in judging it that way but I did not like it
                          If you start thinking like a Free Man
                          You'll begin to feel like a Free Man
                          And pretty soon you'll begin acting like a Free Man

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Teachu2
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 835

                            Originally posted by bk23103
                            Excellent! Sounds like a good idea to carry in addition to my G21SF when I'm out in the desert.
                            I just load two rounds of CCI .45acp shotshells over hollowpoints in my Glock for snake season.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CSACANNONEER
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 44094

                              Originally posted by Teachu2
                              I just load two rounds of CCI .45acp shotshells over hollowpoints in my Glock for snake season.
                              I wouldn't trust that at all unless, I ran a couple dozen shotshells through the gun to be sure i reliably cycles. My6 experience with semi auto handguns and shotshells has been that it turns the gun into a single shot and, sometimes it the shells need to be ejected with a rod.
                              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                              Utah CCW Instructor


                              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                              sigpic
                              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                              KM6WLV

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1