Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

10/22 Extended Release

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    RawHP
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 633

    Interesting thread. I guess I'd ask what kind of shooting you'll be doing and what technique you'll be using when changing mags.

    For me, I never let my mag just drop to the ground or bench. I let it drop in my hand. Others might be OK just letting their mags drop to the ground, but if it were me, I'd probably add a bumper, like I have on my pistol mags, to be comfortable doing that.

    Since I prefer catching my mags, I like the shorter extended mag release (Volquartsen, UTG, shorter Kidd version, etc.), so I can do it one handed. I cup my hand under the mag, and use my ring or little finger to operate the extended mag release, and the mag falls into my palm.

    If I tried doing the same thing with the longer wrap around releases (Kidd wrap around, etc.), I'm not sure I could do that one handed. I picture that I'd operate the release with one hand and catch the mag with the other. I could be wrong, and maybe others have a one handed technique that works.

    The Crossfire that you mentioned might work one handed, but might require some contortions of your fingers to do so.



    On the other hand, if you are going to be doing action shooting, releasing the mag with one hand and inserting the next mag with the other, or using a two hand technique to catch and replace, then the longer releases make a lot of sense.
    Last edited by RawHP; 07-29-2015, 4:14 AM.

    Comment

    • #17
      Wes C Addle
      Banned
      • Apr 2015
      • 1867

      i use Tactical Solutions on mine. easy install and no problems so far. also have a VQ trigger FWIW

      Comment

      • #18
        Dan_Eastvale
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Apr 2013
        • 10799

        Good things to consider. Maybe the crossfire is indeed what I need because I just want to replace the old flush type release for something a little more convenient.

        Thanks

        Comment

        • #19
          bohoki
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 20826

          i like the utg one but its not one of them giant guard hugging levers

          i guess that is what extended means "now a days" because ruger themselves now makes one with a nub even if it seems to be angled in the wrong direction

          Comment

          • #20
            RawHP
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2014
            • 633

            Originally posted by bohoki
            i like the utg one but its not one of them giant guard hugging levers

            i guess that is what extended means "now a days" because ruger themselves now makes one with a nub even if it seems to be angled in the wrong direction

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/UTG-10-22-Ru...-/310721271108
            I have the same one and like it; plus the price was right. I had to do some minor fitting on mine because one of the surfaces was a little rough and interfered with the functioning of my auto bolt release.

            Comment

            • #21
              Dan_Eastvale
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Apr 2013
              • 10799

              I luckily found one of the black Volquartsen releases at an lgs in downtown Salt Lake City this afternoon and got it. Seems like the perfect size replacement for the flush original.

              Comment

              • #22
                RawHP
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 633

                Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                I luckily found one of the black Volquartsen releases at an lgs in downtown Salt Lake City this afternoon and got it. Seems like the perfect size replacement for the flush original.
                Excellent. Support your local gun store!!! I would do that too, but sadly there aren't any left in my area .

                Comment

                • #23
                  santamonica9
                  In Memoriam
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 1475



                  i went tactical solutions & i drop my mags in my hand. also used the tri-mag and it still works great.
                  I mainly shoot .22lr, 9mm,45 acp, 357 & 38, 12G, 7.62x39, .308, .223/556, 7.62x54r, 300 win mag, 8x57
                  God Bless USA

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1