Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.22 ammunition - Ever tried these brands?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    jyo
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2008
    • 5320

    It's funny, the Mexican Aguila ammo used to be cheaper by some way than domestic 22 ammo---not so any more---still excellent stuff made in a former Remington plant down south.
    Geco ammo has always been good to me in various calibers...

    Comment

    • #17
      SB1964
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 4876

      I like the LRN 40 Aguila & their subs also. Not as clean or accurate as CCI sv but I'll break some out when I shoot a lot. Not a fan of the Geco.

      I saw 50 rd boxes at "discount" gunmart for 9.99! I bought all they had.
















      sarcasm...
      Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

      Comment

      • #18
        CK_32
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2010
        • 14369

        Just make sure you don't buy the Agula blanks/half charges or what ever they make.

        I was almost fooled seeing them on sale for like $0.04 a round. Almost bought a ton but right before I paid I saw it was blanks or like half charge stuff.

        But other than that I've heard it's decent stuff. All 22 is decent at best. Unless you jump into the literal premium match stuff.
        For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

        What's Your Caliber??


        My Youtube channel

        Comment

        • #19
          Garv the innocent
          RSG Minion, Senior
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Apr 2014
          • 9077

          Originally posted by Kestryll:
          It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

          Comment

          • #20
            JohnCCW
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 1307

            I have used Geco centerfire ammo for cheap practice. No problems.
            sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
            Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

            Comment

            • #21
              schills
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2015
              • 57

              Originally posted by Garv
              I bought a brick of Geco recently.
              Worked great, but the rounds are slippery as if they have a thin layer of oil.
              My 15–22 came out dirty but no problems.
              Since I originally posed this question, I've been using the Gecko exclusively in my SW 41. So far, I'm pleased but concur that the Gecko has an oily coating. I'm not sure its a bad thing.

              Cheers,

              Colin

              Comment

              • #22
                Cato
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2006
                • 5659

                Man, I miss the days when you could just drop into any gun shop and by American .22lr by the brick. I don't go for those off brands of .22 - I prefer Thunderbolts or Federal.

                Comment

                • #23
                  CaliforniaSon
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 748

                  I have used both in multiple calibers including handguns, long rifles and rimfire.

                  Both work, but warning Geco seems to split casings very easily for some reason. I have shot it in both 9mm and .22 and I would say between 60 and 70 percent of all my casings are cracked - for .22 not a biggie, but in general, not desirable.

                  Aguila - never had an issue in any caliber from my .22lr and .22 subsonics to 9mm and larger calibers. Cheap, very reliable and decently accurate.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    schills
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2015
                    • 57

                    Originally posted by Cato
                    Man, I miss the days when you could just drop into any gun shop and by American .22lr by the brick. I don't go for those off brands of .22 - I prefer Thunderbolts or Federal.
                    I wouldn't say they are "off brand". Just not as present in the US market as others. Despite the brand, aren't Thunderbolts some of the absolutely dirtiest rounds out there? I've never shot any, but have been warned away from it.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Cato
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 5659

                      Originally posted by schills
                      I wouldn't say they are "off brand". Just not as present in the US market as others. Despite the brand, aren't Thunderbolts some of the absolutely dirtiest rounds out there? I've never shot any, but have been warned away from it.
                      Thunderbolts are fine for plinking. They used to be dirt cheap too. I used to shoot a couple hundred rounds and just clean my rifle afterward.

                      Now if you are shooting some sort of high dollar target rifle, then you should be shooting some premium round.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        cudakidd
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 3355

                        I stick with CCI even though I have 25-30,000 rounds of various manufacturers,

                        American made, excellent quality and great prices for the quality, 100 rounds for about 7.99 to 8.99...check for deals on the deals subforum...
                        TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
                        The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

                        William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Garv the innocent
                          RSG Minion, Senior
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Apr 2014
                          • 9077

                          Originally posted by cudakidd
                          ......I have 25-30,000 rounds......
                          That is just bragging!
                          Originally posted by Kestryll:
                          It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Garandimal
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2011
                            • 2145

                            I just picked up 500 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr. plated solids for $8.99/100 box... and then found a $10 CCI-rebate on'em.


                            Good times...




                            GR


                            (I think, therefore I am armed.)


                            -- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Tokarevman
                              Member
                              • Jul 2015
                              • 313

                              Aguila is very good ammo.
                              Geco 22LR is made by RUAG who also makes RWS....
                              So both Aguila and Geco are GTG ammo.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Mutant
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 828

                                Geco shoots very well. A good "middle/low" priced round. I like CCI SV but Geco (for bolt actions) shoots better in my rifles.
                                Life is hard. Being stupid makes it harder. - John Wayne

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1