Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Adjustable Cheek Riser Project - fabrication steps with pics
Collapse
X
-
I mainly shoot .22lr, 9mm,45 acp, 357 & 38, 12G, 7.62x39, .308, .223/556, 7.62x54r, 300 win mag, 8x57God Bless USA -
My version is a bit different. My Hogue stock is shaped considerably differently than OP's, without even a modest comb.

I chose to make a longer riser than his, extending from the rear wrist to the beginning of the butt pad.
The only deviation from his excellent step by step was the way I chose to transfer my template to the material, instead of trying to draw or mark the kydex with a knife, I simply used the back of my pattern as a stencil, painting the areas to be removed with a plastic friendly primer. I figured the paint wold not show if I shaped the part correctly.


I cut carefully but a bit roughly with a jigsaw, then finished it with a drum sander on my drill press. I cut the slots using the press as well, drilling the ends with a 1/4" bit, then connecting the two ends with smaller diameter holes, then using the 1/4 bit again like a router bit. Perfectly sized to grab the flats of the carriage bolt and keep it from spinning.
I bent the sheet over a one inch PVC pipe in my vice, using my hands. It doesnt melt or even get hot enough to burn right away. One thing I noticed is sometimes it wants to return to flat a bit, so I ended up re bending the main curve and taping it to the pipe to let it set up.
I grabbed the blackened steel finger nuts from McMaster Carr today, cost about $5. More than the aluminum knobs I bought from China, but I wanted to finish this.
Here it is mounted and approximately where it seems to be the correct height.



Thanks to OP, this was really a pretty straightforward project that saved me from having to buy a new stock.
For anyone wondering, the hogue stocks appear to be rubber over a plastic shell, and hollow inside. Drilling was less than a minute total, it took way longer to decide where to put holes in the stock.
Thanks, OP. Total cost, $14.00 give or take a few cents.Originally posted by tony270It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.Originally posted by repubconservPrint it out and frame it for all I careOriginally posted by el chivoI don't need to think at all..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOriginally posted by pjsigYou are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
sigpicComment
-
Adjustable Cheek Riser Project - fabrication steps with pics
That is fantastic, Citadel. Looks like it was done professionally.Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.Comment
-
Excellent write upRule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)
Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)Comment
-
Spacers
Would it be beneficial to make spacers to go inside of the hollow stock to prevent the stock from collapsing a bit and allowing the cheek rest to drop?
Cut a small section of tubing with a washer on both ends?
Or filling the stock with shot and epoxy to add some weight to the back of the gun?Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)
Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)Comment
-
I was thinking about doing that originally if there was a flexing problem with the stock, but it was a non-issue. I don't detect any flexing, and I can press really hard on it and it doesn't slip; much harder than my cheek does.Would it be beneficial to make spacers to go inside of the hollow stock to prevent the stock from collapsing a bit and allowing the cheek rest to drop?
Cut a small section of tubing with a washer on both ends?
Or filling the stock with shot and epoxy to add some weight to the back of the gun?Comment
-
I've played with the setup for a couple days, with the suggestion/question about filler and flexing of the stock in mind.
The stock is very stout, I can't deform it be squeezing or twisting anything other than the fore end.
I also can't get enough torque on the thumb nuts to deform the stock, but it does lock up tight, I can't move the riser with pretty firm strikes to it.
I don't think any stiffeners are needed, and I don't think the four holes reduce the integrity.
I also don't want this thing any heavier. It's lightly front heavy with a conventional bull barrel. It feels like a centerfire rifle now, not a Rimfire.
I still haven't shot it yet with the riser, but again,thanks op. This was a cheap, easy project that fixed something that needed fixing.Originally posted by tony270It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.Originally posted by repubconservPrint it out and frame it for all I careOriginally posted by el chivoI don't need to think at all..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOriginally posted by pjsigYou are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
sigpicComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,811
Posts: 25,151,923
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,793
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 24308 users online. 106 members and 24202 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


thanks for the great write up
Comment