Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Nikon Buckmaster vs. Leupold VX-2

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    kkp
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1374

    Originally posted by rcschummers
    I have 2 buckmasters in 3x9x40, I highly recommend these units. For the $2or300 they go for they are top tier. Fyi, my understanding is that nikon makes loopers glass. The difference is the seal and gas. According to several scope savvy guys, the major difference is 25 year vs lifetime warranty. I dont know about you, but at 25 years I will be happy if the scope is still intact. And the $aving$ up front make it worth it. PS. I cant tell the difference at 100yards between the looper and the nikon.
    I'm wondering how easy is it to tell the difference between the 3x9x40 Buckmaster and the 3x9x40 P-223. The P-223 has exposed turrets, which is an awfully nice feature.

    Comment

    • #17
      postal
      Banned
      • Mar 2008
      • 4566

      I **think** the p series is basically the same level as the buckmaster series.

      The "M" series is basically the same as the Monarch series- which is a higher level. Better glass.

      I have a 4.5-14 buckmaster newer style with side focus. It has finger adjustable turrets, and has screw on o ring sealed caps. I have the caps somewhere... Never have them on the scope. Though it hasnt been out in the rain.... I wonder if I'd put the caps on if it was raining.... Probably not... and just see what happens.

      Comment

      • #18
        kkp
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 1374

        Originally posted by postal
        I **think** the p series is basically the same level as the buckmaster series.

        The "M" series is basically the same as the Monarch series- which is a higher level. Better glass.

        I have a 4.5-14 buckmaster newer style with side focus. It has finger adjustable turrets, and has screw on o ring sealed caps. I have the caps somewhere... Never have them on the scope. Though it hasnt been out in the rain.... I wonder if I'd put the caps on if it was raining.... Probably not... and just see what happens.
        My understanding was that the P series is the same glass as the Prostaff, a step below the Buckmaster... but I could be wrong, and hope I am.

        Finger adjustable turrets, hidden under caps, are better than ones that need a screwdriver, but still not as convenient as the truly exposed turrets on the P223/M223 models.

        M series is definitely the same as the Monarch glass. Very nice stuff.

        Comment

        • #19
          toby
          Banned
          • Jan 2010
          • 10576

          I have a Buck master, Monarch, VXII, VXIII, in my book the VXII is better than the Buckmaster.

          Comment

          • #20
            OpticsPlanet
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Apr 2009
            • 2129

            Of the two, I would select the Leupold.

            At any counter I visit, I like to come back later and ask a different employee the same questions, it's good to get different points of view. Inventory, incentives to employees can affect recommendations.

            I will say that from this side, it's easier to get answers and support from Leupold.

            Mark H.
            CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

            OpticsPlanet
            http://www.opticsplanet.com
            Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
            Send us a private message if we can be of help!

            Comment

            • #21
              rcschummers
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 1249

              Originally posted by kkp
              I'm wondering how easy is it to tell the difference between the 3x9x40 Buckmaster and the 3x9x40 P-223. The P-223 has exposed turrets, which is an awfully nice feature.
              My buckmasters have "turret" style adjusters, you just have to remove a cap. When I was looking at scopes, The difference between a nikon and looper was indiscernible to me at 100yards. The p223 model if im not mistaken has yardage dots on the crosshair.
              http://dynamicarmament.com/games.asp
              :
              :
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_US...eature=related

              Comment

              • #22
                covingtonhouse
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 2216

                I have a 6-18x40 buckmasters target scope, and a VX-1 4-12x40 leupold fixed objective scope. I prefer the leupold for clarity, the buckmasters for the side focus, and target knobs. I use the Nikon for rimfire target work out to 100yards, and the leupold for a lever Winchester .308
                Last edited by covingtonhouse; 08-28-2013, 10:40 PM.
                "I don't work for you!" - Joe Biden
                LGBFJB

                "Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers

                Comment

                • #23
                  Merc1138
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 19742

                  Originally posted by mark501w
                  Great warrantee American made! I sent one back because I was having trouble getting the elevation I needed, they sent it back with a note saying they upgraded the innards cleaned it regassed it & had it back in 1 wk. I never bought a different brand after.
                  Good warranty and service maybe, not American made(unless you've got a really old leupold that might have still been made in the US). In fact, Leupold's mysterious country of manufacture was just brought up in a thread not too long ago http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=12086855

                  There are a couple of companies that actually make scopes in the US(and even then not all of the components are made in the US), and you won't be buying one without paying some serious cash $$$$.

                  edit: Off the top of my head, for actual products made in the US you'd be limited to US Optics, trijicon, maybe the nightforce beast, that's about it...
                  Last edited by Merc1138; 08-28-2013, 11:26 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    rcschummers
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 1249

                    Originally posted by kkp
                    I'm wondering how easy is it to tell the difference between the 3x9x40 Buckmaster and the 3x9x40 P-223. The P-223 has exposed turrets, which is an awfully nice feature.
                    My buckmasters have "turret" style adjusters, you just have to remove a cap. When I was looking at scopes, The difference between a nikon and looper was indiscernible to me at 100yards. The p223 model if im not mistaken has yardage dots on the crosshair.
                    http://dynamicarmament.com/games.asp
                    :
                    :
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_US...eature=related

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      JagerDog
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2011
                      • 15638

                      There is no scope manufacture that produces 100% made in USA scopes. Not even Leupold. If you contact Leupold about their lens this is their response.


                      From Leupold:


                      "The lenses in our scopes are about the only item we do not make in our plant in Oregon. We buy our lenses, which are designed entirely by Leupold engineers, from both domestic and international sources. We would like to buy all our lenses in the United States, but there is not currently a lens manufacturer who can meet our quality standards in the volume we require."
                      Kinda funny, but SWFA SS scopes get great billing, but they'll completely dodge the question every time as to country of mfg. They won't even say "not China". Educated guess is Japanese glass made in Philippines along with a host of other scopes.
                      Last edited by JagerDog; 08-29-2013, 8:58 AM.
                      Palestine is a fake country

                      No Mas Hamas



                      #Blackolivesmatter

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sholling
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 10360

                        Originally posted by dlquinn71
                        The Leupold was $299/$350 and the Buckmaster was $230 with bdc recepticale.

                        Hunting scope only. Took a chance on the new Remington 783, looks to be better than the 710 and has some good features. It's a .270

                        Want to get a rangefinder too so the lower price buckmaster is making me reconsider my leupold pick.
                        Both are good scopes but for $100 difference I'd take a VX-II over a Buckmaster, it's just a better scope. On the other hand the Nikon is a plenty good enough scope for most situations, especially in California where low light shooting isn't a factor.
                        "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                        Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          toby
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 10576

                          Why does it matter where a scope is made? I just don't get it unless you just refuse to buy things made in Japan or other. Fact is they make things far superior than most any American made things and that is just the simple truth, even the Germans have a tough time doing better. Yes I own many things from all counties and damn proud of it.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Merc1138
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 19742

                            Originally posted by toby
                            Why does it matter where a scope is made? I just don't get it unless you just refuse to buy things made in Japan or other. Fact is they make things far superior than most any American made things and that is just the simple truth, even the Germans have a tough time doing better. Yes I own many things from all counties and damn proud of it.
                            Meh, some people just prefer seeing things made in the US. Doesn't matter what the reason is really. But it's hilarious watching someone complain about a foreign truck like a Toyota that's made in the US, and is proud about their Ford(or whatever "domestic" auto company) that was made in Mexico, Canada, or somewhere else.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              postal
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 4566

                              HAHAHAA!!!! Kawasaki motorcycles are assembled in Nebraska.

                              Years ago I had a Kawa ninja... some idiot said I should buy a hardley. I asked why. He said "cuz they're made in Americuh!!!!" Me.... Nice Mitsubishi you're driving...."

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                JagerDog
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • May 2011
                                • 15638

                                Originally posted by toby
                                Why does it matter where a scope is made? I just don't get it unless you just refuse to buy things made in Japan or other. Fact is they make things far superior than most any American made things and that is just the simple truth, even the Germans have a tough time doing better. Yes I own many things from all counties and damn proud of it.

                                Matters more to some than others. Many simply try to not support Red China. When it comes to optics you'll find few who don't think Japan is a pretty good thing.

                                The part I don't get is non-disclosure. Say where it's built and let the consumer decide.
                                Palestine is a fake country

                                No Mas Hamas



                                #Blackolivesmatter

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1