Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Optics on AR pistols

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Vinnie Boombatz
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2020
    • 3036

    I just put a Holosun 510C red dot on mine with a Holosun riser for a lower 1/3rd co-witness and so far so good. For $250-$275 for the 510C it's tough to beat. I do have esotropia (different from an astigmatism) so I have to close one eye no matter what type of sighting system I use. Might consider one of the LPVO from Primary Arms and mess with both to see which I like better, but I can mount the red dot further forward than a n LPVO so I still get a good amount of peripheral sight with it even with one eye closed.
    Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 02-05-2021, 1:46 PM.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #17
      K001
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2014
      • 1003

      +1 for MRO on AR pistol.
      03-FFL/COE

      Comment

      • #18
        FeuerFrei
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2008
        • 7455

        For me it really depends on how long the barrel is and what distance I shoot at.

        Longer barrel (10.5" or >)will help with 3x plus scope. Shorties are easier to shoot with a RDS du jour. It's all about trajectory and hold over/under for your typical distances.
        I have a Adams 7.5" that'll tag 12x12 steel at 200yds with a scope, so... YMMV

        *AR pistolas benefit with a brace.

        Comment

        • #19
          etwinam
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2016
          • 3223

          On my 10" pistol I just recently sold my mro for a 510c, better optic and shake awake and battery life were dramatically better.

          16" I run a vortex viper pst 1-6 gen 2

          18" I run a vortex viper pst 2-10

          My 20" grendel I run a 4-16 vortex hst (I'd like to upgrade to a viper pst)

          And my RPR in 6.5cm I run a vortex viper pst 6-24
          God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

          Comment

          • #20
            Peahi2
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2018
            • 818

            I have an Nx8 1-8 lvpo on mine. I also have a holosun 510..and that works really well too, so much so I installed it on another upper (it works well using the rear peep to minimize my astigmatism effect on the dot...this is another topic).

            I have also tried a trijicon SRO red dot sight on it. Its a killer combo. Super light, and the red dot is the perfect match for the pistol. I have that sight installed on a pistol, but if I had a spare SRO, I would use it on an ar pistol upper (we need a variety of uppers right?) for sure. Not a typical set up, and it does cost more than a low end red dot sight, but it works nicely.



            and
            Who has an SRO on an SBR or AR pistol? Thinking of one for my 11.5” with SB brace.Pics?
            Last edited by Peahi2; 02-07-2021, 12:04 PM.

            Comment

            • #21
              DrewTheBrave
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 1472

              Go with a red dot or prism scope. Mine has an Aimpoint, but I wouldn't be opposed to an EOTech XPS/EXPS, Holosun, Primary Arms Advanced, or similar dots.

              If you go with a prism optic, they have etched reticles so you don't have to worry about astigmatism causing bloom, and you have a reticle even if the battery dies. You typically pay a little more, and they are a little heavy, but they are great options. I'd look at the Primary Arms Cyclops or Swampfox Blade if you go that route.
              WTB: Beretta 92/M9 series (non-railed), Remington 1100 LT-20,

              Comment

              • #22
                Endless
                Banned
                • Feb 2010
                • 1881

                Originally posted by California_Deplorable
                Seems like people putting 1-4x optics on AR pistols with braces are basically using them like SBRs.

                Especially in free states where its almost mandatory to add a suppressor as well.

                If youre looking for a decent red dot, I've had good luck with the Romeo 5. But I also use backup sights in case it fails. I do not have an AR pistol so dont know what sight set up work best for that purpose but I dont think it would be that different than sights on a carbine.

                I mean either you want some type of sight or no sights. I dont think you want to go without sights unless you live in Chicago.
                Correct.

                I used an Elcan 1-4x when this was a pistol and use the same now that it’s a registered SBR.

                With a stock
                Last edited by Endless; 02-08-2021, 2:36 PM.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Peahi2
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2018
                  • 818

                  SWEET!!! CA dream setup! Love the M900 light too.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Endless
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 1881

                    Thanks man.

                    The SB Tactical SBA4 is a game changer in restricted states. At least it was for me.

                    I use the SBA4 when I travel to Texas to shoot with my friends or I file a form (ATF 5320.20) and wait for the BATF to approve it and then travel.
                    Last edited by Endless; 02-08-2021, 2:32 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Unit74
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 2359

                      Originally posted by Endless
                      Thanks man.

                      The SB Tactical SBA4 is a game changer in restricted states. At least it was for me.

                      I use the SBA4 when I travel to Texas to shoot with my friends or I file a form (ATF 5320.20) and wait for the BATF to approve it and then travel.
                      Ignorant question here. Why do you have to file an ATF form for a gun that is already registered to travel with it?

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        enorbit3
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 2656

                        Don't believe you can travel across state lines with an NFA item or SBR.
                        LAPD CCW Timeline:
                        Application Sent/Rec'd - 10/11/22
                        Interview Scheduled - 2/20/22
                        Interview & Live Scan- 2/21/22
                        DOJ/FBI - 2/22/23
                        CCW Training - 2/25/23
                        Firearms - 3/1/23
                        LAPD CCW Approval Call - 3/20/23
                        CCW Permit Issued/picked up - 4/11/23

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Master_Prestige
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2019
                          • 1016

                          Originally posted by enorbit3
                          Don't believe you can travel across state lines with an NFA item or SBR.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            enorbit3
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 2656

                            I should have clarified, I meant you can't travel without first notifying the feds.
                            LAPD CCW Timeline:
                            Application Sent/Rec'd - 10/11/22
                            Interview Scheduled - 2/20/22
                            Interview & Live Scan- 2/21/22
                            DOJ/FBI - 2/22/23
                            CCW Training - 2/25/23
                            Firearms - 3/1/23
                            LAPD CCW Approval Call - 3/20/23
                            CCW Permit Issued/picked up - 4/11/23

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Endless
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 1881

                              Originally posted by Unit74
                              Ignorant question here. Why do you have to file an ATF form for a gun that is already registered to travel with it?
                              It’s not ignorant at all. Good question!

                              Because it’s the law. Look up the form I listed (ATF 5320.20). You have to ask for permission and get approval from the BATF to cross state lines in its SBR configuration. It’s part of the literature you read before applying AND it has to be an SBR friendly state as well. If it’s not the BATF will deny your request.

                              Here you go:


                              Sometimes folks will slap on an sba3 brace or sba4 brace and then travel. Then it’s a class 1 firearm again and you can legally take it to Texas without asking for permission and approval. If you want to take it as an SBR then it typically takes 1-2 weeks for approval. Of course if you try to bring it to California, it’s denied. Lol

                              Local police, state police and/or local Sheriffs are then notified when you get approved by the BATF . Then they know an out of state NFA item is coming into their county/jurisdiction. Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn’t and folks apply and get approved most of the time or they bring it in as an AR pistol.
                              Last edited by Endless; 02-18-2021, 11:00 PM.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                beanz2
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12032

                                Originally posted by enorbit3
                                Don't believe you can travel across state lines with an NFA item or SBR.
                                50% correct. You can cross state lines (into another permissive state) with a suppressor without a Form 20.
                                sigpic
                                The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1