Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Stigmatism and Red Dot

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Mr. Blue
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2019
    • 2522

    Originally posted by The War Wagon
    Astigmatism, makes the dot "bloom (grow larger)," so you want as SMALL a dot as possible.

    2moa Aimpoint T-1/T-2 is the way I roll. My astigmatism appreciates it.












    And the red dot in my Viper HST 1x6, is also... 2moa.

    Man I love these. Great photo.
    https://youtube.com/c/GatCat

    Comment

    • #17
      k1dude
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2009
      • 15856

      With my astigmatism, I have found some red dots to be fine and others to be terrible. It had nothing to do with price. I have some very expensive red dots that are good, and others that are bad. I also have some cheap red dots that are good, and others that are bad.

      I've also found that you can compare 2 exact same models side-by-side and one will be good and one will be bad.

      So your best bet will be to go to a store with a whole bunch of different models to choose from, and buy the best one from their display that you tried.

      If your astigmatism is worse than mine, then you may not be able to use any red dot. In that case, your only choices are likely a prism or LPVO instead of a red dot.
      "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

      "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

      Comment

      • #18
        HKAllTheThings
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2020
        • 1313

        Originally posted by k1dude
        I've also found that you can compare 2 exact same models side-by-side and one will be good and one will be bad.
        That's funny.

        Comment

        • #19
          crufflers
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2011
          • 12723

          Once you figure out what type sight you want (Prism, LPVO, etc...) do not overlook dot brightness. Hardly anything (or nothing) in the budget price ranges will be as bright as something like a single dot on a Viper PSTII. Especially the fancy reticles. A lot will simply wash out in the sun... which is still useable if it is etched which they are.

          Comment

          • #20
            Ki6vsm
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2013
            • 2354

            Originally posted by kcheung2
            Is that like "symptomatic" and "asymptomatic" are (not) interchangeable? How about "legal" and "illegal", are they interchangeable terms for your purposes too?
            I think that was just his way of saying "You know what I meant." Maybe a more straightforward and polite explanation would have worked better.... As posed to the other poster's sarcasm.

            (BTW, just having some fun up there with "posed" in place of "opposed" LOL)

            Comment

            • #21
              Ki6vsm
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2013
              • 2354

              Originally posted by mkrj
              I will check out the lowest MOA red dots. The Aimpoints look great on the rifles!
              Smallest dot you'll find for this general kind of 1x optic is with an Eotech. Its center dot is 1 MOA. I thought I'd read somewhere that for true red dots, 2 MOA is the lower limit.

              Comment

              • #22
                DoubleA
                Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 438

                I have astigmatism.... I second the posts above recommending prism optics. Check out Vortex and Primary Arms models. I have both, and find they work really well for me. The etched reticle will work even with a dead battery, and the adjustable focus means I can shoot without my prescription glasses.

                Note: do not mistake adjustable focus with fixed magnification. The magnification does not change, but the adjustable focus allows you to see reticle and target clearly.


                Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

                Comment

                • #23
                  crufflers
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 12723

                  Anyone know how bright the Vortex Spitfires get? I have quite a few prism and LPVO that do get daybright for summer shooting... I love the dot on the Viper PST II.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    E Michael
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 2513

                    Etched reticle works well for me, also non dot red dots.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Jesse 2
                      Member
                      • Dec 2017
                      • 208

                      Stigmatism and Red Dot

                      Originally posted by crufflers
                      Anyone know how bright the Vortex Spitfires get? I have quite a few prism and LPVO that do get daybright for summer shooting... I love the dot on the Viper PST II.

                      Spitfire 1x not bright. You cannot see the center dot in sunlight or over dark target. Indoors is ok.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        BigFatGuy
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 3176

                        Originally posted by kcheung2
                        Is that like "symptomatic" and "asymptomatic" are (not) interchangeable? How about "legal" and "illegal", are they interchangeable terms for your purposes too?
                        the dude's got a stigmatism... what's the problem?

                        :-)
                        NRA Patron Member

                        I've written up my ongoing adventures as I learn to hunt.

                        Yes, you CAN fit a case of shotgun shells into a .50cal ammo can.

                        I think i found an optimal solution for ammo can labeling.


                        I made this target for the NRA's Marksman pistol test. I think it's a lot better than the paper plate they suggest.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Mac Attack
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 2127

                          I have tired Eotech, Aimpoint and Trijicon and with my astigmatism all their dots look like a cluster of dots. I currentI found if I turn the brightness down I see fewer dots but it is not perfectly round like it is for so many other people. I do notice that if I view the dot thought a rear sight aperture that it gets better but not perfect. I have been wanting to try one of those prism sights as they are supposed to work.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            DoubleA
                            Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 438

                            Stigmatism and Red Dot

                            Originally posted by crufflers
                            Anyone know how bright the Vortex Spitfires get? I have quite a few prism and LPVO that do get daybright for summer shooting... I love the dot on the Viper PST II.


                            Hmmm. My experience with the adjustable illumination on my prism sights is that the reticle is visible under all lighting conditions. YMMV


                            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              HKAllTheThings
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2020
                              • 1313

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                crufflers
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jul 2011
                                • 12723

                                RMR’s battery life is about 25 days if you have it on setting 8.
                                Last edited by crufflers; 09-19-2020, 7:48 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1