Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

This just in.................

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    bigbossman
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2012
    • 11280

    Originally posted by AR22
    Really nice. I like the well worn look. You are going to leave it as is I would hope?
    All finished with the tear-down, repair, and re-assembly. Unfortunately, since I had to do major stock repair I had to completely strip and re-finish the stock to make it look right. The good news is that the new finish matches the patina of the gun very well - it looks like a nice warm original finish and looks great. I'll take some pics and post them when I get a chance

    Originally posted by Bainter1212
    Schweet rifle. Would love a range report.
    I was finally able to take it out yesterday for some quick benchmarking. I shot a few factory rounds, and then an assortment of reloads. All shots were benched and at a distance of 50 yards with open sights. I'm pretty happy with the horizontal dispersion, and the vertical stringing can probably be blamed on my eyes and sight alignment.

    This gun is a real blast to shoot - I love it.





    Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

    "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

    Comment

    • #17
      Bainter1212
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2013
      • 5936

      Great accuracy for an old worn out lever gun. Thanks for the report!

      Comment

      • #18
        MapleSyrupSmuggler
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 505

        New pig gun?

        Comment

        • #19
          bigbossman
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Dec 2012
          • 11280

          Originally posted by MapleSyrupSmuggler
          New pig gun?
          Maybe. Right now I'm just going to shoot it in some Cowboy Silhouette matches and get used to it. Then maybe work up some lead-free loads and see how that goes.

          With the TTSX 150gr bullets, I can load one in the chamber and one in the tube...... that should be plenty.
          Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

          "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

          Comment

          • #20
            Old Scribe
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2010
            • 587

            Way to go! Nice score!
            sigpic
            U S Coast Guard Squadron Three, Viet Nam 1968
            NRA Life Member

            "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you've got me into!"
            Oliver Hardy

            Comment

            • #21
              rm1911
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 4073

              Originally posted by bigbossman
              With only 9 hours to go on the "cash & carry" shot clock, I finally got my hands on a pre-64 Winchester Model 1894 in 30-30. From the serial number, it looks to be a post-war 1947 unit.

              Dear sir,

              Thanks for the info. It's been duly noted.

              Kamala harris



              Get yerself some trail boss and cast boolits. It'll cause websters to have to redefine the word fun.
              NRA Life Member since 1990

              They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

              Comment

              • #22
                Latigo
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 2121

                Wow! Beautiful!
                Latigo and P
                An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit...... he set in de bushes..... he watch an' he wait... lay low an' he don' say nuffin'.

                www.swissproductsusa.com

                Comment

                • #23
                  bigbossman
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 11280

                  Originally posted by rm1911
                  Get yerself some trail boss and cast boolits. It'll cause websters to have to redefine the word fun.
                  Funny you should mention that - I ran into a CG member at the range on Sunday, and he let me try some of his 30-30 Trail Boss loads that he runs through his Marlin 336. He uses Berry's plated bullets.

                  Nice - very nice. No recoil to speak of, and very fun to shoot. POI is a bit lower than the full-house loads, though.
                  Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                  "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    rm1911
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 4073

                    Originally posted by bigbossman
                    Funny you should mention that - I ran into a CG member at the range on Sunday, and he let me try some of his 30-30 Trail Boss loads that he runs through his Marlin 336. He uses Berry's plated bullets.



                    Nice - very nice. No recoil to speak of, and very fun to shoot. POI is a bit lower than the full-house loads, though.

                    I started a little while back with the ubiquitous 10gr of unique load. Shot well enough out my (sporter) 03A3. But then I found some trail boss online and grabbed a few pounds. Hell, I figured if it didn't work well I could always load it in 38's for the old man. Well well well, wuntcha know it. Trail boss works like a champ with jacketed too. I bought my son a nice marlin x7 in '06 this last year. He's 11 1/2 and it's too much gun now. In a few years though we'll be set for anything. But I have some bulk .30 cal 147 BT's and 17 gr of TB and a 147 is perfect training fodder for a young'n.

                    Check out hunters supply. They make a neat hard cast 30-30 bullet sized .310 or .311. 311's work beautifully out of my 03A3 but won't load in the marlin. And they shoot beautifully out of the old rifle too.

                    Should be awesome in the 30-30. Check imr's website for load data.
                    NRA Life Member since 1990

                    They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1