Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading machine, which one?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SmokingSam
    Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 183

    Reloading machine, which one?

    I did a search but did not come up with anything about this subject. I hope this is the right place for this question. I think a lot of people with C&R guns reload.

    I just used a friends Dillon 550B to reload about 200 rnd of M1 30-06. It went very well for my first time. I found out I can get the Dillon 550 with dies for $520 shipped to me. I also checked the Dillon XL 650, and I can get it with a conversion kit but no dies for about $570 shipped.

    I am open to ANY machine out there, and yes I would like a progressive multi stage one.

    This will be to reload the following calibers: 5.56, 308, 6.5 Swedish, 8MM and 7 MM Mauser, 303 British, 7.5 French and 7.5 Swiss.

    Any and all constructive comments are very much appreciated!
    Last edited by SmokingSam; 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM.
  • #2
    ivanimal
    Janitors assistant
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Sep 2002
    • 14365

    Stick with the dillon get the 650 if you can afford it. I have a 650 and 2 550's.
    "I would kill for a Nobel peace prize." Steven Wright"
    Board Member CGSSA Donate now!
    NRA lifetime member

    Comment

    • #3
      pro-nra
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 2270

      If you used your friend's 550 to load 30-06, did you use it as progressive or a single stage? I have two 650 but only use progressive on pistol rounds. I load a lot of 30-06 rounds and use the 650 as a single stage as I weigh each charge by hand with an RCBS Chargemester. Reason I am weighing each charge is for consistency and ultimately accuracy as long stick powder don't measure well on a mechanical charge bar. So for my purpose I could have used just a single stage. I deprime/resize and prime on a progressive mode. The case feeder and auto priming is sure convenient.

      Also, you might have trouble trying to find a die set for a 6.5 Swiss as I have never seen one. Is this a wildcat you came out with like a 7.5x55 Swiss necked down to a 6.5? This I got to see. However I suspect you meant a 7.5x55 Swiss or a 6.5x55 Swedish.

      Comment

      • #4
        SmokingSam
        Member
        • Nov 2011
        • 183

        Sorry, I was tired when I posted . Yes, it is the 7.5 Swiss and the 6.5 Swedish. I always get them mixed up.

        I used the manual progressive mode on the 550. I did a few dry runs where I charged about 8 shells with powder and I measured the charge on a Hornady digital scale and they all came in within .1 to .2 grn. For me that was good so I went on and did the rest. Afterwards, I weighed in about 16 complete bullets and they varied by 1 to 2 grains.

        So, is the Dillon 650 or the 550 better for the money. Seems like the 650 will be a better investment for the long term. I would rarely reload for pistols even thu I have a couple.

        Does Hornady or RCBS have any comparable models? I looked at their sites and I am not sure what is equivalent to the 550 or the 650. Like I mentioned I am not loyal to any brand as I am loyal to my hard earned Dollar only and want the best value

        Comment

        • #5
          50BMGBOB
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2005
          • 1738

          I have the Hornady LNL Progressive. It is like the 650. If you set it up with a case feeder they end up close to the same cost. I am happy with mine as friends who have both recommended the Hornady. Caliber changes are cheaper. I don't reload pistol, just rifle. I prefer to run my ammo in to stages. First I deprime, size and trim, the back in the tumbler and inspect. Then a second trip through the press to load. With a case feeder, that is quick and with the Hornady LNL bushings it is quick to change over without the cost of new top plates.
          sigpic50BMGBOB aka 50BMGLAZARUS aka 50BMGZOMBIEBOB aka the UN- DEAD!

          Comment

          • #6
            SmokingSam
            Member
            • Nov 2011
            • 183

            Will the Hornady and the Dillon use Lee dies? I just looked up the LNL progressive and it looks better made than the Dillon but I have not tried it. I can get it for $415 shipped, is this a good price?

            Comment

            • #7
              bruceflinch
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 40155

              We have a Ammo & Reloading Forum. In it you will find a "sticky" that has a ton of info.
              Good Luck!
              Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

              I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

              Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

              Secret Club Member?.

              Comment

              • #8
                savasyn
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2007
                • 3201

                I have a Dillon 650, a Lee Classic Cast Turret and a Lee Classic Cast Single Stage. For non-precision rifle rounds, I do most of my case prep and loading on the Lee Turret. I only use the single stage for precision rounds and I find the Dillon best suited to mass producing pistol ammo.

                If I could only have one press, it'd be the Lee turret as it does all the work the others do, just slower than the Dillon and with looser tolerances than the single stage. It can be run as a single stage for prepping brass or as a semi-progressive for loading.

                While it may not be the "best" press out there, it has to be one of the most versatile. It's a lot of machine for ~$100.

                Lately I've switched from using powder measures with it to weighing each charge separately with the Hornady Auto Charge. This slows things down a bit, but now my powder throws are much more consistent.
                Last edited by savasyn; 02-21-2012, 1:56 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  1-M-42
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 1232

                  I've got the RCBS Pro 2000, really like it. One of my friends has three Dillon's he swears by them and he would know, he loads a lot.
                  sigpicCertainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                  Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SmokingSam
                    Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 183

                    Originally posted by bruceflinch
                    We have a Ammo & Reloading Forum. In it you will find a "sticky" that has a ton of info.
                    Good Luck!
                    Thx, Please post a link, It is not easy for me to find it here, I tried the search so I must not have done it right.

                    I am leaning towards the Hornady now, so we will see.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mstnpete
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • 4039

                      Can't go wrong with a Dillon 550.
                      I've been using mine since 1995.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        pro-nra
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 2270

                        Originally posted by SmokingSam
                        Will the Hornady and the Dillon use Lee dies? I just looked up the LNL progressive and it looks better made than the Dillon but I have not tried it. I can get it for $415 shipped, is this a good price?
                        They all (the mojor manufacturers anyway) uses industry standard thread so yes you can use a Lee die on a blue machine and vice versa.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bandook
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 1220

                          Originally posted by SmokingSam
                          Will the Hornady and the Dillon use Lee dies? I just looked up the LNL progressive and it looks better made than the Dillon but I have not tried it. I can get it for $415 shipped, is this a good price?
                          Verify the powder charge die compatibility as this is the one die that may or may not work across different manufacturer presses, or more accurately, the powder dispensers from various manufacturers.

                          The other dies are fairly standardized. Having said that, stick with the dies of the press manufacturer whenever possible. One less company to deal with if you run into press issues.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            50BMGBOB
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 1738

                            Some match bullet seaters with sleeves to suppport the brass are not for use in progressive either. Also, 50BMG dies are to big. Most dies use the same treads though.
                            sigpic50BMGBOB aka 50BMGLAZARUS aka 50BMGZOMBIEBOB aka the UN- DEAD!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SmokingSam
                              Member
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 183

                              OK guys, so I looked into the specs of the Dillon 550B, XL650 and the Hornady L.A.L 5 station auto progressive. comparing the features and and the price, I have purchased the Hornady (5 stations progressive for $414 shipped no tax). I know it is not the most popular but I like the way it holds the shells better than the Dillon. So, I got it, a tumbler and a digital scale. When I get it set up, I will post some pix if you guys are interested. Thx for the help.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1