Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ka-boom!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    DutchXpatriot
    Junior Member
    • May 2004
    • 34

    Originally posted by mj1
    Are these as loud as I have been told?

    JackCheese

    I've spent a lot of time with the Ag42b and its red headed stepbro the Hakim. I know of 2 Hakim that had catastrophic failures. I was witness to one of them so I put in some time to study the problem/s with these rifles and they aren't insignificant problems.

    Its pure luck that we haven't heard of more problems. All the problems are ammo related in that surplus ammo with too slow a powder type was fired. What results is the bolt being opened too soon. Ouch. It completely shreds the stock as the gas blows down through the magazine well and blows the magazine to who knows where. The Hakim has one single advantage over the Ljungman in that it has a gas port adjustment to limit the amount of gas reaching the bolt carrier. But the Hakim I saw come apart in the shooter's hands just had an incorrect gas setting.. it let too much gas go downstream.
    One of the inherent design faults of both of these rifles is a weak bedding system. The middle triggerguard screw has almost no wood support so it cracks and comes apart way too easy.

    These are the exact empties from the Hakim that came apart. The one on the far left is the last one fired. See that nice gapping tear just above the web?



    This Ag42b was owned and fired by a very experienced collector. He put 10 rds of Danish 6.5x55 down the bore.. well.. he had 10 rds in the magazine. The Danish is notorious for having dangerously soft jacket material that loads up the bore to the point of creating very high pressure. High enough that it completely dismantled this rifle. The shooters in both cases were not seriously hurt. Wood splinters in the left forearm was about the worst. That does say something about the Ljungman design but not a whole lot.




    My opinion of the Ag42b, and Hakim by proxy, is that they were incompletely designed and tested rifle systems. They were intended to be maintained by lower level regimental armorers because they were built with unit construction design. Easy replacement of parts by sub-sergent grunt REMF. The barrel attachment design of the Ag42b is real easy to change out. Everything about it is easy to work on.

    That being said, neither the Ljungman or Hakim is close to being equal, let alone superior, to the M1 Garand. It just ain't so. I do like the way the Ag42b comes to the shoulder. Its a very long semiauto rifle and I like the balance but since witnessing the Hakim coming apart I just don't trust either one of them anymore. Use caution with these rifles and be extremely cautious as to what ammo and what burn rate you trust your well being with. Under no circumstance should you use Turkish 8x57. Too slow powder burn rate, not nessessarily loaded too hot as its loaded to German specs, but some Turk ammo has been clocked at velocities that far exceed what it should be.

    Dutch

    Comment

    • #17
      mj1
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • 3318

      Did I say anything about comparing it to the M1?

      Don't think so dutch man! M1 is a nuther critter.

      Have a nice Veterans Day.

      Cheeers
      MJ
      67/68


      That is a shocking picture of the AG thanks for the warning
      Last edited by mj1; 11-16-2007, 1:52 PM.
      WTS As new M47 Madsen 3006 w/bayonet.
      WTS NIB Mosin 91/59
      I will deliver or ship, details to be arranged with buyer.
      The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.

      Comment

      • #18
        4 Brigada
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 2119

        I had my AG42 for close to 12 years, shoot surplus and handloads, never had a malfunction. I own garands, FALs , M1As and Im working on my first repro retro GAU-5. I dont know if the comments about the AG42 being easy to field repair was said as a pro or a con. I think its a huge pro, since as you put it any sub-sergent grunt REMF can repair it. I think that the design was very avant guard for its time. It was 1942, the other semi autos magazine fed rifles in the world were being pressed in war service. Its a long rifle. Im 6 I had trouble at first, but I didnt get the swedish military training on how to handle the rifle. Im sure the lenght also had to do with the use of the bayo. If you come across one (AG42) for sale please let me know
        Last edited by 4 Brigada; 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM.
        I have neither the inclination or the time to relieve people of the regional and ethnic handicaps that they inherited from their ancestors.

        You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
        Marcus Aurelius

        "I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
        the "Duke" in the shootist

        Comment

        • #19
          eguns-com
          Member
          • Oct 2007
          • 221

          I have a Ljungman and Swedish surplus ammo. Should that be an OK combo? I broke a firing pin in the ljungman so have not fired it in a while. Have a replacement from Numrich lying around here somewhere..

          What about things like Wolf Gold/PRVI 6.5x55?

          Chad
          eguns.com
          sales at eguns.com 888 534 9585 (9am--9pm PT Mon-Sat)
          www.eguns.com and store2.eguns.com
          Dillon Precision, Aimpoint, EO Tech, M-Pro 7, Gun Maintenance, AR Parts (GG&G, Magpul, FAB, Ergo, ACE, LMT, RRA, more)
          (mention calguns when ordering)

          Comment

          • #20
            4 Brigada
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2007
            • 2119

            What about things like Wolf Gold/PRVI 6.5x55?
            I never shot those in mine so I wouldnt be able to comment. Couldnt use the swede surplus at the range I shot. So I pulled the bullets and used commercial ones then I just reloaded, Thats a sweet round 6.5x55
            I have neither the inclination or the time to relieve people of the regional and ethnic handicaps that they inherited from their ancestors.

            You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
            Marcus Aurelius

            "I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
            the "Duke" in the shootist

            Comment

            • #21
              DutchXpatriot
              Junior Member
              • May 2004
              • 34

              Originally posted by eguns-com
              I have a Ljungman and Swedish surplus ammo. Should that be an OK combo? I broke a firing pin in the ljungman so have not fired it in a while. Have a replacement from Numrich lying around here somewhere..

              What about things like Wolf Gold/PRVI 6.5x55?

              Chad
              You would think that the m/41 Swedish military ammo would be perfectly compatable with the Ag42b, huh? Its not.

              Swedish military instruction is to lightly oil the cartridges before loading. Why? Because the burn rate of the powder is not optimum for the direct gas impingement of the Ag42b. The oiling facilitates timely extraction. Ain't that a heck of a thing? The m/41 ammo was originally designed for the m/41 sniper rifle and was later used to supplant the m/94 cartridge in all applications. This little fact of history gets overlooked because its not written anywhere in English.

              I can't and won't comment on what is or isn't ok to shoot in the Ljungman. Its your rifle and you're responsible for what you put in it. I would highly suggest you take great care in deciding what ammunition to use.

              Dutch

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1