Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Johnson collector.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    phish
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 3089

    Originally posted by Interloper
    If I'm not mistaken...some Marine units in the Pacific used Johnson rifles and LMG's. I think they were para units?
    That's what I remember from Jim Scoutten's older American Shooter episode with that rifle. I remember asking about this rifle on another forum years ago and a "seasoned" shooter responded how they were practically giving them away in the surplus ads during the 50s-60s.

    Comment

    • #32
      WWII collector
      Banned
      • Oct 2010
      • 233

      Originally posted by phish
      That's what I remember from Jim Scoutten's older American Shooter episode with that rifle. I remember asking about this rifle on another forum years ago and a "seasoned" shooter responded how they were practically giving them away in the surplus ads during the 50s-60s.
      In a early test, the Johnsons were more accurate than the garand and had less recoil.
      Last edited by WWII collector; 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM.

      Comment

      • #33
        WWII collector
        Banned
        • Oct 2010
        • 233

        Originally posted by phish
        That's what I remember from Jim Scoutten's older American Shooter episode with that rifle. I remember asking about this rifle on another forum years ago and a "seasoned" shooter responded how they were practically giving them away in the surplus ads during the 50s-60s.
        In a early test, the Johnsons were more accurate that the Garand and had less recoil. The Marines biggest complaint was, the Johnson had too many small parts that could be dropped and lost were they were field stripping them.

        Melvin Johnson campaigned heavily for the adoption of the Johnson rifle by the U.S. Army and other service branches. However, after limited testing, the U.S. Army rejected the Johnson in favor of the M1 Garand rifle developed by Springfield Armory.[2] The M1941 Johnson was ordered by the Netherlands for issue to its troops in the Dutch East Indies, but the Japanese invaded the islands before the rifles could be shipped from California. At this time, the U.S. Marine Corps found itself in need of a modern fast-firing infantry rifle, and acquired some rifles from the Dutch East Indies shipment for issue to its Paramarine battalions then preparing to deploy for action in the Pacific theatre. By all accounts, the M1941 Johnson performed acceptably in combat with the Marines in the early days of the Pacific fighting.

        Despite repeated requests to adopt the rifle by the Marine Corps.[3], the Johnson rifle also lacked the support of US Army Ordnance, which had already invested considerable sums in the development of the M1 Garand and its revised gas operating system, then just going into full production. Johnson was successful in selling small quantities of the Johnson Light Machine Gun to the U.S. armed forces, and this weapon was later used by both Para-Marines and the Army's First Special Service Force.[4]

        The Johnson rifle was also used in the 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion by the anti-Castro Brigade 2506.

        Because it was produced in relatively small quantities the Johnson rifle has become a highly sought-after collectible by WWII collectors looking to complete their collections.
        Last edited by WWII collector; 11-06-2010, 9:29 AM.

        Comment

        • #34
          Rogerbutthead
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • 3858

          I have a regular Johnson rifle too, but it is a Miltech.

          Never fired it as well, since I remember my fiasco breaking my Dragunov and the problems I have had trying to fix it.

          Comment

          • #35
            WWII collector
            Banned
            • Oct 2010
            • 233

            Originally posted by Rogerbutthead
            I have a regular Johnson rifle too, but it is a Miltech.

            Never fired it as well, since I remember my fiasco breaking my Dragunov and the problems I have had trying to fix it.
            I hear ya, mine will be a wall hanger too.

            Comment

            • #36
              oddjob
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2003
              • 2399

              I got offered one for $4,000.00. Its been reparked and has a crack in the stock near the pistol grip area. Still a good deal? The re-park was my concern.

              Comment

              • #37
                KrazyKevy
                Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 301

                Originally posted by Interloper
                If I'm not mistaken...some Marine units in the Pacific used Johnson rifles and LMG's. I think they were para units?
                Story of one Johnson used by the Marines.
                To view high resolution photos of the Johnson rifle, sight details, and all drawings by PVT. Treadway and letters to Melven Johnson please ...



                Photo of Marines at Camp Elliott San Diego with Johnson rifles.



                Originally posted by WWII collector
                Very nice, how does it shoot ?
                It shoots sweet! Racking the action is still smooth as butter and the sound of the lock up has that solid engagement only these older steel rifles have. I love it more then my Garand and 1903A3. If I had to give up all my guns and could only keep one, it would be the 1941 I would keep.

                Originally posted by Rogerbutthead
                I have a regular Johnson rifle too, but it is a Miltech.

                Never fired it as well, since I remember my fiasco breaking my Dragunov and the problems I have had trying to fix it.
                Originally posted by WWII collector
                I hear ya, mine will be a wall hanger too.
                I shoot mines every chance I can get. Have put around +500rds with zero issues. Parts are scarce, but not that scarce, you can still find parts. I've got two extra complete mag housings and a lot of replacement parts for mine.

                Comment

                • #38
                  KrazyKevy
                  Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 301

                  Originally posted by oddjob
                  I got offered one for $4,000.00. Its been reparked and has a crack in the stock near the pistol grip area. Still a good deal? The re-park was my concern.
                  Repark takes more value away, but it was probably a sporterized winfield and was reparked to bring it back to original...which would be better then having a blued one. As for the crack in the stock, is it a original GI stock? They typically crack if the screws and locking "keys" are not tighten. Stocks are extremely rare if you want an original. They usually sell in the +700 range with no cracks, and that can be minus the forend wood stock. I myself keep a look out and have not seen one in over a year. I only know of one person who makes repro Johnson stocks, which I have and are also not cheap...he is completely out of stocks and I heard he doesn't plan to make anymore any time soon being the demand is extremely low. I'd move on to finding one that is original finish with original stock pieces. They can be had at that price if your patient enough to wait. Gunbroker typically has 3-4 Johnsons selling at a time.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Barabas
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 3370

                    I saw four Johnson's at the Big Reno Show today. Three on the floor and one walking around. The prices were all under 3k.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      mosinnagantm9130
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2009
                      • 8783

                      Originally posted by WWII collector
                      An interesting story about the M1941 Johnson semi automatic rifle, not my pee pee.
                      Someone needs to sig this^^
                      Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                      My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                      Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                      Originally posted by ChopperX
                      I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                      Originally posted by Jeff L
                      Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Nodda Duma
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 3455

                        Thought the rifle was more expensive to manufacture than the Garand as well, and that was also why US Army Ord didn't sign on.
                        Looking for photos for your wall?
                        Help feed my children by clicking here.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Quinc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 3011

                          Seen one at the Reno gun show today for 5600. And one on display at the RIA auction booth.
                          Shop Amazon and contribute to CGF!
                          click this link before going to amazon.com
                          http://www.shop42a.com

                          sigpic
                          www.appleseedinfo.org

                          "Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            thefifthspeed
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • 2674

                            I've got a Mint B-series I plan on selling soon. Original 97-98% park, perfect barrel, looks to be all original parts but there are no records of Johnsons (except non-lettered series). This is one of few non-bubba'ed ones left out there.



                            Shoot me a PM and we can talk price

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1