Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

COE & FFL03

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Foothills
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 918

    It will be interesting to see how this new Senate bill affects things.
    CRPA Member

    Comment

    • #17
      SVT-40
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2008
      • 12907

      Originally posted by Foothills
      It will be interesting to see how this new Senate bill affects things.
      Why? It has nothing to do with C&R firearms or ammunition.
      Poke'm with a stick!


      Originally posted by fiddletown
      What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

      Comment

      • #18
        Capybara
        CGSSA Coordinator
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2012
        • 15670

        Originally posted by SVT-40
        Why? It has nothing to do with C&R firearms or ammunition.
        Agreed. This decision will affect rulings and cases that are currently on hold pending the decision. Has there been a case regarding COE/FFL03 since 2010? Not that I can think of.
        NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          honos-et-virtus
          Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 162

          Originally posted by SVT-40
          Once you receive your C&R FFL you are a Federally "licensed collector". After that point, and as long as your license is valid you must under Federal law enter EVERY SINGLE C&R firearm you "acquire" or "dispose" of.

          Meaning regardless of how you get it you must list every C&R you (acquire) into your book. No exceptions.

          When you get rid of any C&R by any means (dispose of) You must also list that disposition in your book.

          C&R firearms you already own do not need to be listed.

          However if you "dispose of a C&R which you previously owned you need to list that disposition in your book. You will need to list where you acquired this C&R from on the acquisition side of your book. You simply write "From personal collection".

          If you get a C&R from a 01 FFL ffl as a intermediary, list the FFL as who you acquired the C&R from not the actual person you bought it from.
          Great information. But I would like a little clarification.

          I've had my FFL03 for a couple of years now. I have made a couple of personal buys of long guns and entered those in my log book. But I have made several out of state buys that went through a FFL-dealer. I did not know I needed to list those in my book. But will be doing so after reading your posts.

          My questions....
          1) If I had C&R's before my FFL-03 do I list those or only need to show if I dispose of any?

          2) What about antique pistols that I was able to have shipped directly to me? Do I need to log those in?

          3) I had a couple of junk C&R hand guns that I disposed of at a local LEO buy-back program. No receipts . Do I need to list that disposal in my bound book?

          On I different note....
          1) Can I ship a C&R rifle directly to a FFL-03 in Texas?
          If so, can I utilize USPS?

          2) If an out of state FFL03 comes to my location, can I directly transfer ammunition to that person?

          Comment

          • #20
            Quiet
            retired Goon
            • Mar 2007
            • 30242

            Originally posted by honos-et-virtus
            Great information. But I would like a little clarification.

            I've had my FFL03 for a couple of years now. I have made a couple of personal buys of long guns and entered those in my log book. But I have made several out of state buys that went through a FFL-dealer. I did not know I needed to list those in my book. But will be doing so after reading your posts.

            My questions....
            1) If I had C&R's before my FFL-03 do I list those or only need to show if I dispose of any?

            2) What about antique pistols that I was able to have shipped directly to me? Do I need to log those in?

            3) I had a couple of junk C&R hand guns that I disposed of at a local LEO buy-back program. No receipts . Do I need to list that disposal in my bound book?

            On I different note....
            4) Can I ship a C&R rifle directly to a FFL-03 in Texas?
            If so, can I utilize USPS?

            5) If an out of state FFL03 comes to my location, can I directly transfer ammunition to that person?
            1) You are not required to list any C&R firearms you owned before you were licensed as a collector.
            However, if you dispose of (transfer out) a C&R firearm that was acquired before you were licensed, then you will need to log them out of your bound book.

            2) No.
            If it meets the Federal definition of an antique, then it is not considered a firearm and are not required to log them in/out of your bound book.

            3) Yes.

            4) Yes.
            Not sure on using USPS for shipping. I think it is still yes.

            5) Yes.
            It is CA legal to sell/transfer ammo to a non-resident of CA with a valid C&R 03-FFL without having to utilize a CA DOJ licensed ammunition vendor or CA FFL dealer for the transfer. [PC 30312(c)(5)]
            sigpic

            "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

            Comment

            • #21
              SVT-40
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2008
              • 12907

              Originally posted by honos-et-virtus
              Great information. But I would like a little clarification.

              I've had my FFL03 for a couple of years now. I have made a couple of personal buys of long guns and entered those in my log book. But I have made several out of state buys that went through a FFL-dealer. I did not know I needed to list those in my book. But will be doing so after reading your posts.

              My questions....
              1) If I had C&R's before my FFL-03 do I list those or only need to show if I dispose of any?

              2) What about antique pistols that I was able to have shipped directly to me? Do I need to log those in?

              3) I had a couple of junk C&R hand guns that I disposed of at a local LEO buy-back program. No receipts . Do I need to list that disposal in my bound book?

              On I different note....
              1) Can I ship a C&R rifle directly to a FFL-03 in Texas?
              If so, can I utilize USPS?

              2) If an out of state FFL03 comes to my location, can I directly transfer ammunition to that person?
              Regarding the C&R's you turned in at a "buy back"...

              Generally when you turn in a firearm to a Law Enforcement Agency you get some sort of receipt with a report number.

              Using a so called "buy back" could be problematic, as you have no proof that these C&R's were turned in.

              having a paper trail, is generally what is required as proof. The Fed's are very specific about reporting firearms which have been stolen.

              The whole no strings attached "buy back" no receipt provides no paper trail. So I guess you might call your local BATFE office and ask how you should list these "disposals" in your book.
              Poke'm with a stick!


              Originally posted by fiddletown
              What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

              Comment

              • #22
                honos-et-virtus
                Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 162

                Originally posted by SVT-40
                Regarding the C&R's you turned in at a "buy back"...

                Generally when you turn in a firearm to a Law Enforcement Agency you get some sort of receipt with a report number.

                Using a so called "buy back" could be problematic, as you have no proof that these C&R's were turned in.
                I didn't see the Police department giving any paper work to anyone. Just cash. I know they logged in the FA so I'd think they would have a paper trail of some sort. If I called the BATF they would sugest that I contact that local PD. For now I will just log in the handgun and show it as dispossed of with an detailed explanation.

                Comment

                • #23
                  SVT-40
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 12907

                  Originally posted by honos-et-virtus
                  I didn't see the Police department giving any paper work to anyone. Just cash. I know they logged in the FA so I'd think they would have a paper trail of some sort. If I called the BATF they would sugest that I contact that local PD. For now I will just log in the handgun and show it as dispossed of with an detailed explanation.
                  Thinking about it , probably just listing the police department information as well as the date will probably suffice.

                  The PD will have a entry into the automated firearm System showing the gun surrendered, and ultimately destroyed by serial number..

                  So I wouldn't sweat it.
                  Poke'm with a stick!


                  Originally posted by fiddletown
                  What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    19K
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 3621

                    Let your license expire before applying for a new one and you won’t have to keep your bound book for years and years and years.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      honos-et-virtus
                      Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 162

                      Originally posted by 19K
                      Let your license expire before applying for a new one and you won’t have to keep your bound book for years and years and years.
                      Well that is pretty stupid! What's the big problem keeping the bound book?
                      Much easier and cheaper than having to apply for a new FFL license and maybe C.O.E..

                      I made the mistake and let me C.O.E. lapse and it cost me alot of money to get a new one verses just re-newing.
                      .

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        19K
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2013
                        • 3621

                        Originally posted by honos-et-virtus
                        Well that is pretty stupid! What's the big problem keeping the bound book?
                        Much easier and cheaper than having to apply for a new FFL license and maybe C.O.E..

                        I made the mistake and let me C.O.E. lapse and it cost me alot of money to get a new one verses just re-newing.
                        .

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          SilveradoColt21
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Sep 2021
                          • 2440

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            honos-et-virtus
                            Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 162

                            OK 19K suit yourself.
                            Still your logic is not only stupid but pointless.
                            If you have to wait 8 to 10 weeks then maybe that are looking at you trying to figure out what scam you're trying to pull off. I have never had to wait that long on a re-newal. Besides even if you let your license expire you still have to hold onto your records. So once again your logic is pointless. Not to mention does not add anything of relevance to this thread.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              SilveradoColt21
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Sep 2021
                              • 2440

                              Originally posted by honos-et-virtus
                              OK 19K suit yourself.
                              Still your logic is not only stupid but pointless.
                              If you have to wait 8 to 10 weeks then maybe that are looking at you trying to figure out what scam you're trying to pull off. I have never had to wait that long on a re-newal. Besides even if you let your license expire you still have to hold onto your records. So once again your logic is pointless. Not to mention does not add anything of relevance to this thread.
                              Plus I think that you have to go get fingerprinted AGAIN and pay the additional fee again .
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                19K
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2013
                                • 3621

                                Originally posted by honos-et-virtus
                                OK 19K suit yourself.
                                Still your logic is not only stupid but pointless.
                                If you have to wait 8 to 10 weeks then maybe that are looking at you trying to figure out what scam you're trying to pull off. I have never had to wait that long on a re-newal. Besides even if you let your license expire you still have to hold onto your records. So once again your logic is pointless. Not to mention does not add anything of relevance to this thread.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1