Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Conversion cylinders for cap and ball

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    splithoof
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2015
    • 6059

    Originally posted by smle-man

    Weren't you the person who previously stated that anyone shooting surplus or old ammunition was going to be seriously injured or killed? Where should I ship your roll of bubble wrap?

    Comment

    • #32
      LindenBruce
      Member
      • Mar 2016
      • 380

      Having a conversion cylinder or two might just come in handy one day. Even if you never use them. Just having them could be a life saver. Too many variables to even apply here to say for certain. BUT, we all have insurance right? Same thing. B.

      Comment

      • #33
        DrewN
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2012
        • 1887

        So what do you guys think is going on here:

        2) Definition of Antique Firearm. The Act amended the definition of “antique firearm”
        in the GCA to include certain modern muzzle loading firearms. Specifically, section 115 of the
        Act amended the definition of “antique firearm” in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) to include a weapon
        that is a muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol; that is designed
        to use black powder or a black powder substitute; and that cannot use fixed ammunition. The
        term expressly does not include any weapon that incorporates a firearm frame or receiver; any
        firearm converted into a muzzle loading weapon; or any muzzle loading weapon that can be
        readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any
        combination thereof. 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16)(C).


        Did DOJ just make cap and ball revolvers firearms?

        Comment

        • #34
          Wheellock
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2019
          • 1112

          Originally posted by DrewN
          So what do you guys think is going on here:



          Did DOJ just make cap and ball revolvers firearms?
          I don't think that has changed since it was signed by Pres Johnson in 1968, so I'm not sure where the "did DOJ just" is coming from. That said, if you tangle with the CHP with a cap and ball revolver and a conversion cylinder in plain view on your front seat, you will likely have some 'splaining to do.

          Comment

          • #35
            DrewN
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2012
            • 1887

            Originally posted by Wheellock
            I don't think that has changed since it was signed by Pres Johnson in 1968, so I'm not sure where the "did DOJ just" is coming from. That said, if you tangle with the CHP with a cap and ball revolver and a conversion cylinder in plain view on your front seat, you will likely have some 'splaining to do.
            They just changed some stuff, yeah?

            Comment

            • #36
              Wheellock
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2019
              • 1112

              Originally posted by DrewN
              They just changed some stuff, yeah?

              https://public-inspection.federalreg...2021-28398.pdf
              Looks like storage and trigger lock rules for FFLs.... I'll have to read it a little more closely.

              Also, it says "readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof", not cylinder, and no "or similar" which might include a cylinder. That would probably still exclude cap and ball revolvers.

              Either way, it's a gift I would rather give back.

              Comment

              • #37
                moleculo
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 946

                Originally posted by The Gleam
                For that matter, the last time I had bid on a REAL Richards conversio, I stopped at $20K - too rich for me - and it topped out at $25K and change ( not including 22% buyers premium).

                ---
                I was at Martin B. Retting in Culver City yesterday and they have two legit Richards conversions for sale. One was a Remington 1858 and the other was a Colt 1860 Army (I think). Original finish, etc. Price was a lot less than $20K, but they still weren't cheap.
                Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming yet refusing to disclose some "master plan" is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda

                Comment

                • #38
                  The Gleam
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 13466

                  Originally posted by moleculo
                  I was at Martin B. Retting in Culver City yesterday and they have two legit Richards conversions for sale. One was a Remington 1858 and the other was a Colt 1860 Army (I think). Original finish, etc. Price was a lot less than $20K, but they still weren't cheap.
                  If they are the two I'm thinking of, Rettings has had those awhile. The one I mentioned looked as if it had been made yesterday and it was original finish / 95%-ish (nicest one I had ever seen, and the reason I had bid.)

                  --
                  Last edited by The Gleam; 01-04-2022, 11:46 PM.
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  Originally posted by Librarian
                  What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                  If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1