Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rock island auctions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • eighteenninetytwo
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 1545

    Rock island auctions

    Anyone ever bought anything through one of these auctions? What's the process like and what does it involve?
    Also does the California thing cause an issue at all? what about if you buy an antique?
  • #2
    morrcarr67
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2010
    • 15053

    Originally posted by eighteenninetytwo
    Anyone ever bought anything through one of these auctions? What's the process like and what does it involve?
    Also does the California thing cause an issue at all? what about if you buy an antique?
    It's the same as buying from any other auction "house". They have a "buyers premium" that you'll have to pay. You will have to pay taxes and shipping to a CA FFL for transfer. Antiques can be sent straight to you.

    As for the "California thing" I have no idea what you're talking about. You'll need to expand on that to get a better answer.
    Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

    Originally posted by Erion929

    Comment

    • #3
      eighteenninetytwo
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 1545

      The Calfiornia thing just meant that some buyers don't want to send to CA. I wondered if anyone who was selling there has ever hesitated, OR do the items ship form RIA themselves as an FFL?

      Comment

      • #4
        beetle
        The Clip guy
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2009
        • 1677

        this may interest you:

        Chasing the Grail - My Trip to the Rock Island Auction

        Comment

        • #5
          ChampCarStar
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 605

          Originally posted by eighteenninetytwo
          Anyone ever bought anything through one of these auctions? What's the process like and what does it involve?
          Also does the California thing cause an issue at all? what about if you buy an antique?
          The "California thing" may refer to the Roster of Handguns approved for sale in CA.

          If you are bidding on and win a C&R eligible handgun then there is no issue.

          If you are bidding on a Modern Handgun (not over 50 years old and not on the ATF Curio list) then you need to make sure it is on the DOJ roster.

          That "California thing" may also refer to whether or not they will ship a C&R firearm direct to a CA resident with a 03FFL.

          Handguns - NO. Must go to an regular FFL like your LGS

          Long Guns - I'm still not sure about this one. Lots of conflicting info here. I would just have it sent to my regular FFL if in doubt.

          Comment

          • #6
            beerman
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2009
            • 5202

            Being to lazy to look on their site, what are the sale premium at RIA?

            Comment

            • #7
              NapalmCheese
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2011
              • 5958

              Originally posted by beerman
              Being to lazy to look on their site, what are the sale premium at RIA?
              18%

              They have a gun I want, we'll see if I'm rich enough to get it.
              Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

              Comment

              • #8
                morrcarr67
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2010
                • 15053

                Originally posted by eighteenninetytwo
                The Calfiornia thing just meant that some buyers don't want to send to CA. I wondered if anyone who was selling there has ever hesitated, OR do the items ship form RIA themselves as an FFL?
                RIA is an "Auction House", not an "auction site". They facilitate the selling of item, collecting of money, dispersing of money and items sold. This is why they also collect a "Buyers Premium" and a "Listing Fee". They get paid by the seller and the buyer. It's a great business model.
                Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

                Originally posted by Erion929

                Comment

                • #9
                  Wheellock
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2019
                  • 1112

                  I bought an antique from them last year. Was almost too easy to spend money. Shipped to door about two weeks after the auction. You can save a little if you use phone bidding (easy to set up before hand on their site) and pay with a non-credit card option. Happy bidding!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mustang
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 5075

                    Originally posted by eighteenninetytwo
                    Anyone ever bought anything through one of these auctions? What's the process like and what does it involve?
                    Also does the California thing cause an issue at all? what about if you buy an antique?
                    Originally posted by ChampCarStar
                    The "California thing" may refer to the Roster of Handguns approved for sale in CA.

                    If you are bidding on and win a C&R eligible handgun then there is no issue.

                    If you are bidding on a Modern Handgun (not over 50 years old and not on the ATF Curio list) then you need to make sure it is on the DOJ roster.

                    That "California thing" may also refer to whether or not they will ship a C&R firearm direct to a CA resident with a 03FFL.

                    Handguns - NO. Must go to an regular FFL like your LGS

                    Long Guns - I'm still not sure about this one. Lots of conflicting info here. I would just have it sent to my regular FFL if in doubt.
                    A number of auction house won't ship to California anymore because of the requirement for out-of-state FFL's to register with the California Bureau of Firearms and receive an approval for every shipment to a California FFL.

                    Quick Link - GO TO CFLC What is the California Firearms Licensee Check System (CFLC)? California Penal Code Section 27555 prohibits all Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), other than Type 03 or 06 FFLs, from shipping firearms to a FFL in California unless, prior to delivery, the FFL intending to deliver, sell or transfer the firearms obtains a verification approval number from the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms. This includes transfers that occur at gun shows. The CFLC system validates a California FFL’s active status against the California Centralized List.


                    RI Auctions is big enough that I would be surprised if that is a problem with them.
                    Last edited by Mustang; 01-20-2021, 9:39 AM.
                    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CalifEd
                      Member
                      • Mar 2019
                      • 210

                      Originally posted by NapalmCheese
                      18%

                      They have a gun I want, we'll see if I'm rich enough to get it.
                      Use the $2000 (or whatever they come up with) stimulus check.
                      It will get you a new toy and PO the anti-gun folks.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        THBailey
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 737

                        Look in the "Terms of Sale" and the item description. They will say if they have Cali issues. When I have my eyes on an antique firearm, I send an email asking for confirmation that they know they can, and indeed will, send to me without FFL cost and involvement. I mention in the email I am of age, and there is no prohibition against my purchase. Indeed, I was high bid on an 1896 Krag. The auction house clerk asked me for my FFL, but armed with the auction house owners return email confirming the above the issue was quickly sorted out and my new antique arrived shortly thereafter.
                        THBailey


                        As Will Rogers once said:
                        "Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1