That's it! Not anymore! I have been in the process of putting together my first OLL and I have had a complete Stag lower for a while now. I have been set on matching it with a Stag upper because some stupid need for me to have a matching rifle. Not anymore! After reading these stories there is no way I am going for a Stag upper.....sorry to hear about your Stag problem too.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Stag Arms 2HT upper problem: UPDATED
Collapse
X
-
I don't think you should abandon the idea of a Stag upper. The problem I had to address might be unique to the Samson free float handguard, or maybe just a particular run of them. As Randall suggested, the YHM riser not only cures the problem I had but actually make the EOTech a little more functional.That's it! Not anymore! I have been in the process of putting together my first OLL and I have had a complete Stag lower for a while now. I have been set on matching it with a Stag upper because some stupid need for me to have a matching rifle. Not anymore! After reading these stories there is no way I am going for a Stag upper.....sorry to hear about your Stag problem too.
I still think that for $700, the Stag 2HT is a great complete upper.Comment
-
When it comes down to it you are probably right. However, I will feel a lot more comfortable knowing that the upper I am going to get has a better reputation than Stag. Plus I am past the need to have a matching upper and lower. Not that big of a deal to me anymore.Comment
-
I'm resurrecting this thread to pose cowitnessing questions about the Arms 40 BUIS with an Eotech. The upper will be the Stag 2HT, in case it matters.
Paraphrasing what Randall was saying, the ARMS 40 BUIS would match up well with the Eotech 557. No worries about spanning the bridge.
Are all Eotech "crosshairs" set at the same height?
Here's where I'll lead the witness for the answer I am looking for on this one:
I'm pretty sure that I will want an absolute cowitness.
I will most likely leave the ARMS 40 locked down until I need to pop it up.
I like the idea of having the "crosshairs" right on top of the front sight.
Now, if I were to go to a store and slap every Eotech model on there, one at a time, would all of them be centered on top of the front sight?
I would assume that if I added a riser like the OP did, I would have a lower 1/3 cowitness. Is that an accurate statement? Can someone give me their reason for preferring this? Is it field of view?
Let's now assume I have the Stag 2HT with the Eotech 557, and now I want a magnifier. Do I get a riser to mount them both securely to the upper? Do my BUIS become lower 1/3 or useless? If I can get a mount for the magnifier to swing out of the way, do I need another riser to bring up the Eotech even further?
I guess I could have summed this up better by saying:
With a Stag 2 HT and an Eotech 557, what issues in regards to attaining an absolute cowitness might I run into with and without a magnifier?Originally posted by N6ATF"The Roster of Death; Criminals Can Have Any Gun They Want, YOU CAN'T! Now, DIE!"Comment
-
You don't fully understand how eotechs and aimpoints work.
The reticle is NOT set at any given height.
It moves around with your eye to stay on target where it's zeroed.
If you raise your eye up, but don't move the gun, the reticle will come up as well.
So, where the reticle will be depends on where you put your eye.
If the irons are zeroed and you can see the front sight through the rear sight and the optic, then the optic will be zeroed on the front sight when you turn it on.
It does not matter if the irons happen to be in the middle or lower 1/3 of the optic sight, as long as everything is zeroed to hit where you aim.
It just makes the most sense to have the optic higher to get the irons out of the way more when you are not using them.
Alternatively, run flip-up front and rear sights and you won't need to raise the optic as much as you just leave the sights down most of the time.Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
-
I guess I was thinking that the reticle would be centered on the window you are looking through. I've seen an Eotech at a show and liked the way it follows you while still being on target when looking at the lens. In a nose to the charging handle firing position, with no riser, is it absolute cowitness? My thought is that if I'm using the irons anyway, the front sight will be in the way as much as if I had the Eotech on in cowitness.
I guess between absolute and 1/3, it is a preference thing.
I wanted to be sure that if I found a good deal on an Eotech that I could get at least get absolute and get a riser if I changed my mind.Originally posted by N6ATF"The Roster of Death; Criminals Can Have Any Gun They Want, YOU CAN'T! Now, DIE!"Comment
-
I don't know about you guys, but for me, it's not about "the deal", it's about getting a QUALITY item. Stag is NOT quality. Stag is mediocre AT BEST. Yes, you'll spend a little more for a better quality product but when it's chugging along nicely years down the line (and many rounds down the line), you'll see that it's worth it. If you're just going to leave it in your safe and show it off to friends when they come over (where actual function and realibity aren't a concern), sure, get a Stag...hell, just get a Blackthorne and save yourself even more money.I don't think you should abandon the idea of a Stag upper. The problem I had to address might be unique to the Samson free float handguard, or maybe just a particular run of them. As Randall suggested, the YHM riser not only cures the problem I had but actually make the EOTech a little more functional.
I still think that for $700, the Stag 2HT is a great complete upper.Comment
-
So after 200 rounds of the same remington ammo, my CMMG suffers a jam, and my stag hasn't had a single problem yet, I guess I should leave the CMMG in the safe and use it only to show it off to friends...I don't know about you guys, but for me, it's not about "the deal", it's about getting a QUALITY item. Stag is NOT quality. Stag is mediocre AT BEST. Yes, you'll spend a little more for a better quality product but when it's chugging along nicely years down the line (and many rounds down the line), you'll see that it's worth it. If you're just going to leave it in your safe and show it off to friends when they come over (where actual function and realibity aren't a concern), sure, get a Stag...hell, just get a Blackthorne and save yourself even more money.
Just to add my opinion btw, I believe mil-spec is mil-spec, if you want high quality, like others have said, get a MUR-1A or equal.Last edited by Kooter; 09-26-2008, 2:31 PM.Comment
-
I'm not a CMMG fan either. And just for your info, Stag and CMMG are NOT MILSPEC despite what their marketing...and neither is the MUR-1A (but the MUR-1A is a good part).So after 200 rounds of the same remington ammo, my CMMG suffers a jam, and my stag hasn't had a single problem yet, I guess I should leave the CMMG in the safe and use it only to show it off to friends...
Just to add my opinion btw, I believe mil-spec is mil-spec, if you want high quality, like others have said, get a MUR-1A or equal.Comment
-
I will be choosing a Stag 2HT as my upper as the price/reward ratio suits me just fine. This is my first rifle and I have nothing to copmpare it to. Later I can either buy a new upper or see if Randall can put a better barrel in it for me.
The OP's issue had to do with the rail and the flat-top not matching up perfectly, which may have been a blessing in disguise.
I brought this thread back up as it revolved around a lot of the same components I will have.
Once I have something to compare it to I will probably see the wisdom in your position. Until then I totally thank you for trying to lead this horse to water, I'm just not ready to drink it yet.
I'm also thinking that regardless of the brand of upper, as long as it is a flat-top with F marked FSB, my question about co-witnessing with the Eotech and an ARMS 40 BUIS is pretty much universal.
Will every Eotech be an absolute co-witness with my BUIS, unless I add a riser? Then if I choose the right riser i can move to a 1/3 co-witness instead?Originally posted by N6ATF"The Roster of Death; Criminals Can Have Any Gun They Want, YOU CAN'T! Now, DIE!"Comment
-
More of less, the answer is YES, BUIS sights will co-wit with EOTech's...risers will give you 1/3 co-wit which, imo, is the preferred setup.Comment
-
I may be mistaken, but with an Eotech 512 sitting on my 2HT with no riser, the co-witness is dead center of the reticle, I would have to check when I get home. I almost grabbed a la-rue riser at the same time as the 512 and I am glad I didn't I am happy with the witness actually.Comment
-
Originally posted by N6ATF"The Roster of Death; Criminals Can Have Any Gun They Want, YOU CAN'T! Now, DIE!"Comment
-
It sounds like your issue is that you want to setup you eoTech right on the gap for spacing and your iron sights and such. And thier is some discussion of if that is a good idea at all. Even though that interface is pretty solid, it is still a mechanical interface and prone to shifting and possibly/probably messing with your zero. Probably even still with that bridge.
For what its worth, I would have been irritated by the mismatch too, but I do a lot of machining as part of my job and have pretty high standards.
You may want to look at the one piece upper receiver/rail that Noveske/Vltor puts out www.noveskerifleworks.com
I know that its a bunch more money, but you get a killer product and this becomes a non issue. Good Luck.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,751
Posts: 25,151,246
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 13029 users online. 37 members and 12992 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment