Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SAIGA featureless conversion/range report

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Mike-4
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2004
    • 792

    Very nice, especially the "dimpled" reciever. My personal taste is either stock or the traditional AKM conversion. I just scored a brand new dimpled Saiga after a few months of searching.

    How hard was it to install the Tapco FCG? I'd like to replace my factory FCG on my current Saiga as well as my incoming dimpled Saiga.

    After modifying the mag release catch to accept AK mags, can you still use your Saiga mags?

    regards,
    NRA Benefactor Member

    Comment

    • #17
      fleegman
      Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 175

      Originally posted by Mike-4
      How hard was it to install the Tapco FCG? I'd like to replace my factory FCG on my current Saiga as well as my incoming dimpled Saiga.
      I had dreaded the FCG replacement, it looked intimidating what with that menacing coiled spring and all. But when I finally did it, it took maybe 15 minutes, the hammer spring doesn't fly around or anything. The toughest part for me was removing and then re-securing the pins. It wasn't really hard, just finicky.

      After modifying the mag release catch to accept AK mags, can you still use your Saiga mags?
      I only had the one supplied Saiga mag, so I haven't even tried to use it since I have a bunch of AK mags. I understand the bullet-guide may mess you up with the Saiga mags, though.
      BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
      Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
      ~ Lord of War

      "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
      ~ Marge Simpson

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        scfast
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 691

        Originally posted by fleegman
        I used Dinzags rental kit, and threaded the FSB shroud, so I didn't have to cut anything off. I was taken by surprise with how much torque is required to thread the die, so I invested in a more serious clamp, attached to a sturdy bench, in which I securely clamped the FSB only. If you have that (or a buddy does), it goes quite easily.
        I thought you had to remove the front sight and shroud to thread the barrel itself?
        Aren't most Saiga FCGs counted as 3 parts? Or was this the one of Dinzags page that reuses the trigger? Also, if you ever feel like you'd want to go with a U.S. made stock of different ergonomics; check out BattleRifleG3's offerings. There should be a link to his catalog on Dinzag arms. Nice lookin rifle BTW

        Chris
        battlerifleg3 is who i am planning to get my stock and a tantal style handguard from..
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          duenor
          Vendor/Retailer
          • Mar 2007
          • 4617

          would you mind terribly listing the parts count on both sides (imported and us)?

          thank y
          Entreprise Arms - FFL 07 manufacturer of CA-Legal FAL type rifles in Baldwin Park, CA.
          EAI IMBEL-FAL 7.62x51 NATO, CA Legal: $999 shipped www.entreprise.com
          SIG, Beretta, Glock, XD, HK Tritium GS sights

          "Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization."

          Comment

          • #20
            fleegman
            Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 175

            Originally posted by scfast
            I thought you had to remove the front sight and shroud to thread the barrel itself?
            On Dinzags site, order muzzle brake part #74MB1810 "for 18x1 RH barrels - common for 7.62x39 & .223 Saigas with threaded FSB shroud". I no longer see an option on his site for the threading kit for this brake, but what you need is a die cut for M18x1.0 to thread the shroud. Otherwise, you don't need to remove the whole FSB, just cut away the shroud in front of the sight, either carefully with a dremel, or with a small stainless steel pipe cutter. You will now have exposed the barrel itself (the shroud just slips off). It isn't necessary to remove the entire shroud (in the case of a pipe cutter, it isn't even possible), but that's ok, because there is plenty of barrel length left to thread.
            BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
            Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
            ~ Lord of War

            "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
            ~ Marge Simpson

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              scfast
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 691

              I see i did not see the setup for threading the shroud itself..
              Anyone know what factory finish is on the saiga? is it perk?
              Last edited by scfast; 07-08-2008, 5:44 PM.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                X-NewYawker
                In Memoriam
                • May 2008
                • 5993

                Wow! That's some SAY-GUH!

                Comment

                • #23
                  JeffM
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 4359

                  Originally posted by scfast
                  I see i did not see the setup for threading the shroud itself..
                  Anyone know what factory finish is on the saiga? is it perk?
                  Paint over park.

                  OP, planing on moving the trigger group forward?

                  Hows that front handgrip/light holder to shoot with? Looks uncomfortable/awkward.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    fleegman
                    Member
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 175

                    Originally posted by duenor
                    would you mind terribly listing the parts count on both sides (imported and us)?

                    thank y
                    Saiga Rifle in factory configuration has 14 parts
                    (my US parts are in bold)

                    (1) Receiver

                    (2) Barrel

                    (3) Trunnion

                    (4) Bolt

                    (5) Bolt carrier

                    (6) Gas piston

                    (7) Trigger

                    (8) Hammer

                    (9) Disconnector

                    (10) Buttstock

                    (11) Forearms/handguards

                    (12) Magazine body

                    (13) Magazine follower

                    (14) Magazine floorplate


                    I added a US muzzle device, which didn't affect the parts count as regarding 922(r), so I needed to replace at least 4 stock parts with US parts, anywhere in the list. If my brake was foreign, I would have had to replace 5 other parts. The handguards are an easy replacement for compliance, just be aware that the combined upper and lower handguards only count as one part.
                    Last edited by fleegman; 07-08-2008, 5:56 PM.
                    BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
                    Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
                    ~ Lord of War

                    "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
                    ~ Marge Simpson

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      fleegman
                      Member
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 175

                      Originally posted by JeffM
                      OP, planing on moving the trigger group forward?
                      I guess the only reason to move the trigger forward is in conjunction with a pistol grip, and there goes my featureless build.

                      Hows that front handgrip/light holder to shoot with? Looks uncomfortable/awkward.
                      It isn't as ergonomic as a standard forward grip, but I was able to shoot 3 inch groups hand-held at 50 yards, which is A-OK by me. You hold the grip exactly as if holding the lower handguard, only lower. I don't consider it awkward so much as just a different technique, like it is a different technique to fire a pistol, a different technique to fire a shotgun, a different technique to fire a standard bolt-action rifle, and a different technique to fire a pistol-grip equipped carbine. Just playing the hand I'm being dealt by the California legislature. Just between you and me (because I know no one else is reading this), I have some other accessories which will be applied if the SHTF.
                      BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
                      Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
                      ~ Lord of War

                      "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
                      ~ Marge Simpson

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        All Nav
                        Member
                        • May 2008
                        • 125

                        I was going to keep my Saiga .223 stock, just 'cause I was intimidated by the FCG replacement part of the conversion. On Sat. I fired a friend's AK that has a PG and Warsaw-length stock; loved the PG, but the stock was too short for me. I found out K-VAR has a price match policy now, so I was able to get the 4-piece furniture set I was looking at for $90, so now I'm off to the races. One question still puzzles: once converted, will the rifle still take the Saiga 10 rnd. factory mags, or are you committed to using standard AK mags?

                        Your conversion looks very cool, BTW.
                        Since we're all in the same boat, let's stay in the boat!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Flat Broke
                          Member
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 435

                          When you do the mag conversion with a bullet guide, the guide will hit the top/center of the front of the Saiga mag because that surface is higher than an std AK mag. What you can do is file/dremel out this area on top of the Saiga Mag. Now because you would have had to have ground the mag latch a touch to fit AK mags, the Saiga may or may not be too wobbly to use. Unless you have a boatload of Saiga mags laying around, it's not really an issue. The instructions on Dinzags "downloads" page covers the various mag modification options.

                          Chris
                          "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." - Ronald Reagan, June 6th 1984

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            All Nav
                            Member
                            • May 2008
                            • 125

                            Originally posted by Flat Broke
                            When you do the mag conversion with a bullet guide, the guide will hit the top/center of the front of the Saiga mag because that surface is higher than an std AK mag. What you can do is file/dremel out this area on top of the Saiga Mag. Now because you would have had to have ground the mag latch a touch to fit AK mags, the Saiga may or may not be too wobbly to use. Unless you have a boatload of Saiga mags laying around, it's not really an issue. The instructions on Dinzags "downloads" page covers the various mag modification options.

                            Chris
                            So, just to be clear, the addition of the bullet guide permits the use of standard AK mags, but Saiga mags must be modded to fit. And, to use standard AK mags, the mag latch must by modded as well. Do I have this all correct? I'll be doing my conversion in stages (due to finances) so I want to proceed in an orderly fashion.
                            Since we're all in the same boat, let's stay in the boat!

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              JUNTURA
                              Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 211

                              Great job, beautiful piece.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                tombinghamthegreat
                                Veteran Member
                                • May 2007
                                • 2785

                                Good job on the conversion.
                                "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense." Ron Paul
                                "The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite." - Thomas Jefferson
                                Originally posted by forumguy
                                The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
                                Originally posted by bwiese
                                Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1