Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SAIGA featureless conversion/range report

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fleegman
    Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 175

    SAIGA featureless conversion/range report

    Here is my SAIGA conversion. I have a half-dozen pre-ban hicap AK mags and a boat-load of Wolf ammo, so I went featureless. SAIGA purchased from 10%. Items from DINZAG include bullet guide, AK-74 muzzle brake, modified Tapco FCG, lower handguard retainer, gas tube, and NATO-length stock (Brian at Dinzag has some great products, more than fairly priced, and he follows up well). Also added rails and forward grip (non-pistol), which doubles as a flashlight holder should the need arise. From Belarus I got a BP-02 scope-mount, factory modified to center over the bore. From the Russian Federation I got a PK-23 red-dot scope. I figure I am exactly 922(r) compliant. Here are some pics:

    My stock SAIGA:


    Modified:



    I have a CompM4 on my SIG556, and it's a helluva thing, but I dig the PK-23 for these reasons: the brightness of the 1.5 MOA dot is adjustable, then the dot can be turned off and on at that designated setting. The dot pulses rapidly, which I would presume helps in target-acquisition against a chaotic background. Also, it looks awesome on a Russian rifle.

    After carefully filing down the mag-catch to accept AK mags, I was a little disturbed by the slight wobble of the attached mags (I remember my previous Bulgarian AK being a little tighter), so I dremeled a tiny metal shim from a side tension spring for window screens, which I then epoxied to the lip in the mag well where the front mag lip hooks on, just under the trunnion. Now my mags are rock-solid, and I haven't experienced any feed failures after several hundred rounds. Here is the shim I made, placed on a penny for reference:



    I never fired the rifle until after the conversion, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the FCG and brake, but the trigger-pull is smooth and the recoil seems more than acceptable. Using Winchester ammo, I put about 100 shots through with the iron sights before sighting in the scope, which required about a dozen rounds using a bipod. I then put another 100 rounds through, then unmounted and remounted the scope, and shot this group with the remounted scope while standing, which I consider plenty accurate for a battle-rifle:


    This will probably be my SHTF weapon.
    BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
    Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
    ~ Lord of War

    "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
    ~ Marge Simpson

    sigpic
  • #2
    elSquid
    In Memoriam
    • Aug 2007
    • 11844

    I like it!

    How difficult was it to thread the barrel for the AK74 brake?

    -- Michael

    Comment

    • #3
      Nikola
      Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 228

      How does it feel to hold it with the new stock? It doesn't look that comfortable.
      GO BRUINS!!!

      Comment

      • #4
        fleegman
        Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 175

        Originally posted by elSquid
        I like it!

        How difficult was it to thread the barrel for the AK74 brake?

        -- Michael
        I used Dinzags rental kit, and threaded the FSB shroud, so I didn't have to cut anything off. I was taken by surprise with how much torque is required to thread the die, so I invested in a more serious clamp, attached to a sturdy bench, in which I securely clamped the FSB only. If you have that (or a buddy does), it goes quite easily.
        BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
        Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
        ~ Lord of War

        "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
        ~ Marge Simpson

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          fleegman
          Member
          • Mar 2008
          • 175

          Originally posted by Nikola
          How does it feel to hold it with the new stock? It doesn't look that comfortable.
          The NATO stock is a little shorter than the supplied stock, so I "hug" the rifle a little more while shooting. I don't consider it uncomfortable, just a different technique.
          BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
          Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
          ~ Lord of War

          "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
          ~ Marge Simpson

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            69Mach1
            Super Moderator
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2006
            • 15032

            Very nice. If you want the factory Saiga stock back, just add some Tapco AK U.S. made followers to your preban mags. Although some people say it's cheap, I like the ergonomics of that stock, and as you've said it's a little longer as well.
            sigpic
            69Mach1
            munkeeboi
            TURBOELKY
            antix2
            WTSGDYBBR
            tujungatoes
            jmpgnr24K

            Comment

            • #7
              fleegman
              Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 175

              Originally posted by 69Mach1
              Very nice. If you want the factory Saiga stock back, just add some Tapco AK U.S. made followers to your preban mags. Although some people say it's cheap, I like the ergonomics of that stock, and as you've said it's a little longer as well.
              I actually DID get the Tapco followers (from CTD), but a shorter stock appealed to me. I figure my rifle has 15 parts (adding the brake), and the US count is 1 for the brake, 2 for the FCG, 1 for the stock, and 1 for the followers, for a total of 10 foreign parts.
              BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
              Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
              ~ Lord of War

              "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
              ~ Marge Simpson

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                69Mach1
                Super Moderator
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Jan 2006
                • 15032

                Oh, I thought the railed handguard was U.S. made.
                sigpic
                69Mach1
                munkeeboi
                TURBOELKY
                antix2
                WTSGDYBBR
                tujungatoes
                jmpgnr24K

                Comment

                • #9
                  fleegman
                  Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 175

                  Originally posted by 69Mach1
                  Oh, I thought the railed handguard was U.S. made.
                  The handguard is of Chinese manufacture.
                  BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
                  Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
                  ~ Lord of War

                  "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
                  ~ Marge Simpson

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Flat Broke
                    Member
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 435

                    Aren't most Saiga FCGs counted as 3 parts? Or was this the one of Dinzags page that reuses the trigger? Also, if you ever feel like you'd want to go with a U.S. made stock of different ergonomics; check out BattleRifleG3's offerings. There should be a link to his catalog on Dinzag arms. Nice lookin rifle BTW

                    Chris
                    Last edited by Flat Broke; 07-07-2008, 7:33 AM.
                    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." - Ronald Reagan, June 6th 1984

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dd03
                      Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 217

                      Great job!

                      I want to convert mine as well so I can use my pre-ban mags.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        akjunkie
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 3497

                        the tapco FCG (Gordon Technologies) G2, double hook should count as 3 parts. thats what i got in my bulgarian SLR 95.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          fleegman
                          Member
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 175

                          Originally posted by akjunkie
                          the tapco FCG (Gordon Technologies) G2, double hook should count as 3 parts. thats what i got in my bulgarian SLR 95.
                          Except mine uses the stock trigger, so only 2 parts.
                          BATF agent: "We're with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."
                          Arms dealer: "Let me guess... this isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
                          ~ Lord of War

                          "One person can make a difference.... but sometimes they shouldn't".
                          ~ Marge Simpson

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TZL
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 3197

                            damm this thread really makes me want a Saiga, too bad I can't DROS anything right now since I'm out of state for the next 6 weeks so can't pickup....

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              norcal-ar
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 1857

                              im starting to like these!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1