Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Iron zeroing question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    TheExiled
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 2933

    Originally posted by problemchild
    I have a pair of Troys and zero'd them yesterday at the range. To get 100yd zero I had to screw the front post all the way till it bottomed out. The rear is 80% to the right in the slot.

    What is off? The rail or the barrel? Do they make shorter from posts for "issues" like this?

    (Larue upper, bcm barrel JP rail)
    Don't fret, tighten them down and shoot away. My rear buis is about 70% to the right on windage, and front post had to be put up about 3 turns when I mounted them on my current FF rail. As long as everything is tight and won't move around in the future you'll be gtg, I have thousands of rounds through this configuration with no issues

    If you get really adventurous, you might be able to rotate the HG to straighten it out a bit
    Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

    Comment

    • #17
      TheExiled
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 2933

      Originally posted by Speedpower
      So where do I install the front sight on this one?
      Locate gas block through holes in handguard, apply sawzall as needed, jb weld or weld irons accordingly
      Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

      Comment

      • #18
        XenosAce
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 3165

        Originally posted by Speedpower
        So where do I install the front sight on this one?
        Well according to barrage you need to stop trying to make your rifle look tacticool, put it on the gas block and suck it up.

        But me I would say all the way up front as possible and sight accordingly.

        But I am just a guy who has all the answers already like so many other calgunners.

        "Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

        Originally posted by FremontJames
        XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.

        Comment

        • #19
          m16
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 2527

          Originally posted by Speedpower
          So where do I install the front sight on this one?
          Oh, you didn't know?

          You're supposed to tack weld your front sight to your muzzle brake.

          I'm firing up my welder to fix mine as I type this, I can't have anyone thinking I'm a mall ninja!!!111

          Last edited by m16; 10-31-2013, 7:44 PM.
          Marine Raider Foundation

          Comment

          • #20
            Speedpower
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 2238

            Originally posted by m16
            Oh, you didn't know?

            You're supposed to tack weld your front sight to your muzzle brake.

            I'm firing up my welder to fix mine as I type this, I can't have anyone thinking I'm a mall ninja!!!111
            Originally posted by XenosAce
            Well according to barrage you need to stop trying to make your rifle look tacticool, put it on the gas block and suck it up.

            But me I would say all the way up front as possible and sight accordingly.

            But I am just a guy who has all the answers already like so many other calgunners.
            Originally posted by TheExiled
            Locate gas block through holes in handguard, apply sawzall as needed, jb weld or weld irons accordingly

            Comment

            • #21
              barrage
              Banned
              • Oct 2012
              • 3351

              Originally posted by Speedpower
              So where do I install the front sight on this one?
              Put it on the hanguard as a back up iron sight for your optic. The key phrase is "back up iron sight".

              FFS guys, try reveling less in your collective ignorance and figure out how to accept when people answer your questions, especially when it doesn't involve turning rifles into your favorite Call of Duty weapons. You don't even understand how your own ****ing rifles work!

              Comment

              • #22
                SloChicken
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2012
                • 4533

                Originally posted by barrage
                Put it on the hanguard as a back up iron sight for your optic. The key phrase is "back up iron sight".

                FFS guys, try reveling less in your collective ignorance and figure out how to accept when people answer your questions, especially when it doesn't involve turning rifles into your favorite Call of Duty weapons. You don't even understand how your own ****ing rifles work!
                Good grief dude, take it easy. Waay too emotional here ...

                FWIW, it doesn't matter all that much if your sights, and base (whether it is on the gas block or on a free-float handguard) are tight.

                myself, I prefer them on a handguard, for a couple reasons. First, either a gas block, or a handguard can be deflected if not installed correctly. Second, Iron Sights are not all that precise to begin with.
                Last, If one is deflected through a drop or damage. At least the irons mounted on the handguard will not turn a gas-block and cause short-stroking, and the like, effectively turning your rifle into a bolt-action. I don't like having a lever (the BUIS) mounted on my gas block for this very reason (much more secure under a handguard)

                again, it just won't matter that much. Not worth having a heart attack on the web over, that is for sure

                sigpic

                Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
                To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.

                Comment

                • #23
                  metalliman545
                  Banned
                  • May 2010
                  • 1257

                  Originally posted by SloChicken
                  Good grief dude, take it easy. Waay too emotional here ...

                  FWIW, it doesn't matter all that much if your sights, and base (whether it is on the gas block or on a free-float handguard) are tight.

                  myself, I prefer them on a handguard, for a couple reasons. First, either a gas block, or a handguard can be deflected if not installed correctly. Second, Iron Sights are not all that precise to begin with.
                  Last, If one is deflected through a drop or damage. At least the irons mounted on the handguard will not turn a gas-block and cause short-stroking, and the like, effectively turning your rifle into a bolt-action. I don't like having a lever (the BUIS) mounted on my gas block for this very reason (much more secure under a handguard)

                  again, it just won't matter that much. Not worth having a heart attack on the web over, that is for sure

                  iron sights are not precise? you must not be that great of a shot.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    m16
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 2527

                    Originally posted by barrage
                    Put it on the hanguard as a back up iron sight for your optic. The key phrase is "back up iron sight".

                    FFS guys, try reveling less in your collective ignorance and figure out how to accept when people answer your questions, especially when it doesn't involve turning rifles into your favorite Call of Duty weapons. You don't even understand how your own ****ing rifles work!
                    So basically, you tell the OP to mount his sight on the gas block, and later in the same thread you tell someone else to mount it on the handguard.

                    And you have the audacity to call everyone else ignorant?

                    I simply pointed out that the OP might not have a gas block that is accessible or will even accept a sight, and you immediately start talking smack about everyone else's "cool looking" rifles.

                    You are a troll.
                    Marine Raider Foundation

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      11Bravo4
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 83

                      LOL.. you guys are awesome. Just keep your basic fundamentals consistent. Iron sights are precise aiming devices provided your using the correct equipment. I.E BUIS(back up iron sight) VS rear aperture with drum. A good marksman can shoot 1 MOA at 600 METERS with a 16" barrel using 62 grain FMJ or better, ammo shooter dependent. I prefer the front sight to be on the gas block, that doesn't mean a handguard mount is wrong either.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        mofojoe
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 853

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          xrMike
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 7841

                          Originally posted by SloChicken
                          Second, Iron Sights are not all that precise to begin with.
                          Mine are very precise on my Service Rifle, much more so than I am usually.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            SloChicken
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 4533

                            Originally posted by metalliman545
                            iron sights are not precise? you must not be that great of a shot.
                            Okay dude, whatever you say ...

                            I shoot fine with iron sights. The simple fact is a forward post will obscure more of the target than a 1moa dot (on an eotech), or a fine duplex crosshair of a scope.
                            They can be accurate, yes, but unless you have a very skinny blade, or are adjusting to use a small portion of the blade, they are simply not as precise as a scope.

                            That, is more precise.

                            Not really going to explain it at less than a 4th grade reading level for you. You will either accept it, or enjoy your smug ignorance.

                            Your choice.
                            sigpic

                            Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
                            To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              11Bravo4
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 83

                              your service rifle is just as good as the one next to it on the line. The shooter is the variable. Scopes are a more precise tool than iron sights. You do not need a very skinny pin for a front sight to be accurate as long as you aim with the middle of the pin consistently. The shooter is the variable, the shooter is the variable, the shooter is the variable. once you have two equally proficient shooters, ammo, wind, ballistics, etc become the variable. the key to precision shooting with iron sights is how your looking through them. your eyes can't focus on three plains at once, rear sight, front sight, and target. use the rear aperture to center the frontn sight. focus on the MIDDLE of the front sight being on your intendend target POI. calmly manage your breathing firing only on your natural respiratory pause squeezing, not pulling the trigger straight back, holding the trigger to the rear after the round has been fired, not snapping the trigger and letting go. plus a whole bunch of other fundamentals I skipped over to make the point.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                11Bravo4
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2012
                                • 83

                                besides, who can actually, without google explain 1MOA?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1