Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Another AR question.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    AeroEngi
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 2887

    Originally posted by nick9130White
    Barrel to upper is the place where it moves and I'm not sure what YH means. It's an NCstar quard railed HG. But that's completely removed.


    Sent from my iPhone
    YH means Yankee Hill, they're a manufacturer of AR-15 parts. Like I said before, make sure your barrel nut is torqued down properly. The barrel should not be loose.

    Comment

    • #17
      IEatZ28
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 2345

      I'll take a look when I get home. Thank you


      Sent from my iPhone
      Looking for more Mosins
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        IEatZ28
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 2345

        I can turn it by hand. Will I have to headspace this after it gets tightened?


        Sent from my iPhone
        Looking for more Mosins
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          FORD4LIFE
          Banned
          • Dec 2012
          • 339

          Originally posted by nick9130White
          I can turn it by hand. Will I have to headspace this after it gets tightened?


          Sent from my iPhone
          Depends who made the parts

          Comment

          • #20
            IEatZ28
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 2345

            Barrel is colt and I believe the reciever is too


            Sent from my iPhone
            Looking for more Mosins
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              FORD4LIFE
              Banned
              • Dec 2012
              • 339

              Originally posted by nick9130White
              Barrel is colt and I believe the reciever is too


              Sent from my iPhone
              What about the BCG? If its quality and now worn to hell id say you don't need to get it headspaced. The head spacing issue is usually with worn out parts or out of spec junk

              I've done 2 builds where I didn't head space and all was well

              RRA BCG FN/spikes barrel
              and the other was
              BCM BCG Satern barrel

              Comment

              • #22
                IEatZ28
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 2345

                I'm not sure what the BCG, no markings on it. The BCM is barely warn though. Just getting past the paint


                Sent from my iPhone
                Looking for more Mosins
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  Munny$hot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 3665

                  Head spacing has to do with the barrel and extension so it will not change if you remove it from the receiver. If you hold your upper receiver and twist (not flex) the barrel clock wise and counter clockwise does it move? If so you need to remove the gas tube, roll pin and re-torque the barrel nut to a minimum of 35lbs then tightened to the next land to re-install the gas tube.
                  Can DI AR's run dirty?

                  Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

                  "If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    henmar77
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 1813

                    Can you post pics? Hard to diagnose, but there should be no play between the barrel and receiver. Could you be refering to the olay in the handgaurd? If so this is normal.

                    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                    sigpic "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Genesis 27:3

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      tanakasan
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 1638

                      Originally posted by nick9130White
                      I apologize, I'm just goin to put all my AR questions here.

                      So, tonight I went to go look at my upper and when I picked it up from the carry handle, it seemed like there was a little play between the upper reciever and the barrel. Is this common? I don't really know how to explain it.
                      If I grab the barrel and the charging handle and bend it like you you break a stick (not hard) it has a little play, not solid.

                      It doesn't bother me, I'm just curious if it'll effect anything.


                      Sent from my iPhone
                      I agree with the others, the barrel to upper should have no play-either flexing or twisting.

                      The charging handle is a lightweight piece and does have play between it and the upper. Do not bend it!

                      Robert
                      WTB/WTT

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ScottsBad
                        Progressives Suck!
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • May 2009
                        • 5610

                        Simple answer. If your barrel flexes, that means if your barrel moves independently of your receiver, when you pick it up, you've got a problem.

                        Most likely the barrel nut is too loose. There are all kinds of videos that show you how to properly install a barrel.

                        Should you check the head space? Yes, especially if you do not know the origin of your parts.

                        Here is the most concise series on how to build an AR.
                        Brownnell's videos --- http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
                        sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          l3asturd
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 626

                          Agreed, at this point you should definitely check head space, even after properly torquing your barrel nut. I'd be interested to know if this is a standard barrel nut setup, a Delta ring? Or is this a Free float barrel nut? Picture could tell the story.
                          AR #1: BCM4, 556 Tactical EVO 15, Rainier XTC. PICTURES AND PROGRESS

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1