Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

cmmg conversion kit recomendation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rdcpinoy
    Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 306

    cmmg conversion kit recomendation

    Hi everyone I just purchased a cmmg 556 conversion to 22lr. I was wondering what ammo would best be recommended to not damage the barrel
  • #2
    gasol1ne
    Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 470

    ive shot thousands of rounds through my conversion kit using Federal bulk pack ammo from wallmart. I also shot a few bulk pack boxes of remington and armscor, basically anything on sale. After all that my barrel still shoots as well as it did before the conversion.

    I do however clean the barrel really well before shooting .223 through it again. And i boresnake it after every shooting session.

    Comment

    • #3
      Rdcpinoy
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 306

      OK thanks BC I just picked up cci 40 grain lead would that be ok

      Comment

      • #4
        wild_weasel
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 1257

        I have the Stainless version myself. I was having a lot of misfires so took it apart and replaced the factory firing pin spring with a lighter one from my parts pin, since then it has been 100%. I have been using Blackdog 10 round magazines with stainless feed lips, they look like standard 20 round magazines and function great. As far as ammunition I've been using Remington Gold bulk, the latest stuff, in 525 boxes, I have been using has had no duds, unlike the stuff in the 550 boxes.
        sigpic
        Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

        Comment

        • #5
          wild_weasel
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 1257

          An added note!

          These kits will really foul the 223/5.56 chamber, invest $5 in a proper AR-15 chamber brush and scrub the chamber after every use of this conversion kit. My prefered bore cleaner is Kroil, it works great of carbon fouling in my AR-15 and lead in my 1911A1.

          Cheers,
          W-W
          Last edited by wild_weasel; 02-14-2013, 7:56 AM.
          sigpic
          Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

          Comment

          • #6
            starsnuffer
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 2212

            Make sure you fire some 5.56 out of if every hundred rounds or so. The lead (even the copper washed version) .22 bullets foul up the gas port pretty quickly. Nothing that can't be blown out and vaporized by firing some normal ammo through.

            -W

            Comment

            • #7
              TheExiled
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2012
              • 2933

              I try to stay away from anything that isn't copper plated to minimize fouling. I stck to cci premium stuff as the bulk packed stuff gave me a lot of misfeeds
              Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

              Comment

              • #8
                Enfield47
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 6385

                If you run 10 rounds of .223 through after you are done firing the .22 ammo, it will blow the crud out.

                I have used Federal bulk pack with the best results. I bought some Winchester bulk ammo but I have more feeding problems with it.
                Last edited by Enfield47; 02-14-2013, 8:07 AM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  starsnuffer
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 2212

                  Originally posted by TheExiled
                  I try to stay away from anything that isn't copper plated to minimize fouling. I stck to cci premium stuff as the bulk packed stuff gave me a lot of misfeeds
                  Good luck finding copper plated .22

                  There are some "copper washed" bullets, but it's just a thin coat of copper that comes off. I think the copper wash helps a bit, but I just don't want people searching for a unicorn that doesn't exist

                  -W

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Munny$hot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 3665

                    Definitely avoid the armor piercing .62 gr steel core bullets it's real bad for your barrel.....

                    On the other hand since every brand of .22 LR out there is basically soft lead or copper washed lead there is no chance of damaging the barrel, so what ever functions the best, burns the cleanest, and cheapest will do.
                    Can DI AR's run dirty?

                    Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

                    "If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TheExiled
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 2933

                      Originally posted by starsnuffer
                      Good luck finding copper plated .22

                      There are some "copper washed" bullets, but it's just a thin coat of copper that comes off. I think the copper wash helps a bit, but I just don't want people searching for a unicorn that doesn't exist

                      -W
                      This. My bad how could I have done such a thing
                      Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Rdcpinoy
                        Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 306

                        Thanks everyone for the info

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          akjunkie
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2005
                          • 3497

                          Excellent review here:

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wild_weasel
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 1257

                            The 62gr M885 is no harder on an AR-15 barrel than the 55gr M193. If on the other hand you talking about the new M855A1 (green) ammunition then yes it is harder on the AR-15 platform due to being loaded to higher pressure to inprove the perfomance of the M4 Carbines.

                            Originally posted by Munny$hot
                            Definitely avoid the armor piercing .62 gr steel core bullets it's real bad for your barrel.....

                            On the other hand since every brand of .22 LR out there is basically soft lead or copper washed lead there is no chance of damaging the barrel, so what ever functions the best, burns the cleanest, and cheapest will do.
                            sigpic
                            Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1