Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UN0027
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 50

    ...

    ...
    26
    Government Profile barrel contour
    0%
    14
    Medium Profile barrel contour
    0%
    12
  • #2
    smittty
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2008
    • 6270

    Which ever costs less?

    Comment

    • #3
      BucDan
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2011
      • 4063

      Mid length govt profile is best. Some companies are using a slightly smaller OD contour like KAC and PSA

      Comment

      • #4
        TwinStick
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 1210

        Funny, this is something I never would have thought about when I built my first AR. Honestly, I don't think I'd care much now, but good for you for trying to get exactly what you'll be happy with. I say get the Gov profile, then get another AR shortly thereafter for a different purpose.

        Comment

        • #5
          phamkl
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 551

          I believe the gov't profile has the grenade launcher cut so there's no reason at all for most of us to go with gov't over medium contour.

          Comment

          • #6
            xpbprox
            Banned
            • Oct 2010
            • 936

            Either one, just don't cheap out on barrels.

            Comment

            • #7
              ExtremeX
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 7160

              I have 3 16" barrels in M4 Gov, Medium/Standard, and Recce profiles.

              I prefer medium over the M4 Gov, and like my Recce profile the best since it cuts down on weight a little.

              Keep in mind not all barrel manufactures profiles match up... The I had option of buying a medium that was about .750 across most of the barrel. The medium I picked up is .88, .75 gas block, and .73 muzzle end.
              ExtremeX

              Comment

              • #8
                ExtremeX
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 7160

                Originally posted by connorr93
                I know the military uses it on their full auto guns so ... What is the most popular in a AR platform Government profile or medium contour?
                There are different type of Gov profiles.

                Most semi auto ar-15s for sale would use the 16" M4...

                The M4A1 is a heavier version of that... its better for their full auto guns...

                Heres a link.


                ExtremeX

                Comment

                • #9
                  ExtremeX
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 7160

                  Originally posted by connorr93
                  Why is it that you perfer the medium profile over the government one?
                  Well for starters I don't think anyone is going to give me a m203 grenade launcher to mount to it... I don't need that notch cut-out in it, but I think it looks cool...

                  I just prefer heavier contours in my barrels. It better matches the type of shooting I do. I have a preference towards stainless barrels in heavier contours... My M4 profile is steel / chrome lined.

                  End of the day its part personal preference and part application. The profile is also secondary to finding a quality barrel from a reputable manufacture. Its pretty much the most important component in the rifle from a performance standpoint. So buy a good one and do your research.
                  Last edited by ExtremeX; 06-01-2012, 6:27 PM.
                  ExtremeX

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    nrakid88
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3285

                    Check out the 16 inch stainless i have for sell. bravo company. thicker profile. accurate as HELL.
                    sigpic
                    5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
                    Originally posted by Cali-Shooter
                    You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ExtremeX
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 7160

                      Originally posted by nrakid88
                      Check out the 16 inch stainless i have for sell. bravo company. thicker profile. accurate as HELL.
                      Originally posted by connorr93
                      I want something that will stay accurate after numerous mag dumps. I am also trying to keep this as light as possible.
                      I'm going to venture to say a stainless barrel probably isn't for the OP. If that truly is his shooting style, hes probably going to be better off with a chrome lined or cold hammer forged barrel in a heavier profile.

                      I'm curious OP: What is your reasonable expectation of accuracy? Hitting a man sized target or sub moa groups?

                      I don't feel like typing and essay right now so ill give you some bullet points. Assuming the barrels are made to the same standard in manufacturing.

                      Light weight profiles + mag dump isn't going to give you sustained accuracy. Groups tend to open up as lighter profiled barrels heat up.

                      Typically a stainless barrel is more accurate. The downside is that it comes at a cost... barrel life

                      Stainless is said to be higher maintenance than CHF or CL.

                      CHF and CL barrels typically last longer, but wont deliver the type of accuracy as stainless.

                      Regardless of the barrel material, a heavier profile barrel will maintain better accuracy as it heats up.
                      ExtremeX

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ExtremeX
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 7160

                        sigh... you give very little information and expect solid answers.

                        All barrels will loose accuracy as they heat up, they will wear faster as they heat up. Barrel life and accuracy deteriorate with more abuse. It just depends on how much and is different across barrels. Its even different across the SAME Gov.. profile from different manufactures. Ur chrome lining might go to ****, I don't know. Not everything is built to the same standard!

                        We don't know what ur shooting at, how ur shooting, or how much ur shooting. If you can afford to shoot out the barrel you can probably afford to buy another one if it doesn't work out.

                        ill say it again...it depends on your expectation or definition of accuracy...

                        Its a subjective question with real no answer. If you just want someone to say sure why not so you can buy a barrel, then go for it.
                        ExtremeX

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Dhena81
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 4587

                          I'm building a rifle around a Noveske CHF barrel and a colt BCG its a CHF improved contour but the same weight as an M4 barrel. It's made of M249 machine gun steel and is double chrome lined with a pinned low profile gas block. John Noveske claims his CL barrels are as consistent as some SS barrels accuracy is good durability is excellent.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 3162

                            Government Profile barrel contour
                            Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
                            One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              nrakid88
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 3285



                              This is the upper I have for sale. From what I have read, from people who shoot the hell out of there guns, good stainless steel is as good as chrome lined barrels. The accuracy dies at a slightly faster rate, but they are much more accurate to begin with, giving you a similar if not better barrel life. Case and point is in this thread, full auto with stainless barrel http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_130/158390_.html
                              sigpic
                              5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
                              Originally posted by Cali-Shooter
                              You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1